PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

KirkJames
23-07-11, 03:21 PM
Need to fit some spark plugs to my 180 as I am getting a load of misfiring but I have never done this before and the Haines manual says it is easy to damage the head when you screw them in and that you have to take off the inlet manifold off to change the top 3. Do you need to take it off??

Could someone put up or find a guide I can work from as I can't find one or just some piccies.....many thanks troops ;)

stamford
23-07-11, 03:47 PM
I know some have done this with everything in situ, but reckon I would remove the plenum to make sure the rear three are done cleanly, but that's just me.

KirkJames
23-07-11, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the manifold off but how fragile is the head when screwing the plugs back in?

Yampiedog
23-07-11, 07:41 PM
I did them without taking the plenum off. It's awkward and you will scrape your hands but I managed.

KirkJames
23-07-11, 09:51 PM
Nice one, I take it you have to be really careful when putting the new ones back in?

big_wasa
23-07-11, 09:54 PM
If you cant screw them up with your fingers there is a good chance you have them cross threaded. Thats what knackers them.

You only need to nip them up, not hang on them.

KirkJames
24-07-11, 07:31 AM
If you cant screw them up with your fingers there is a good chance you have them cross threaded. Thats what knackers them.

You only need to nip them up, not hang on them.

Thanks bud, I will just be gentle with them then. Quite looking forward to doing it really.
It's also going in for an oil change and I know I could do it myself but I can get and oil change done with magnatec and filter etc for ?38 at National Tyres and exhausts just down the road. I would barely be able to get the oil for that price so it's a good deal.

Yampiedog
24-07-11, 08:39 PM
I used a length of hosepipe to help thread them back in because there is very little chance of cross threading them that way.

KirkJames
25-07-11, 12:20 PM
I used a length of hosepipe to help thread them back in because there is very little chance of cross threading them that way.

Yeah that's the tip that Haines gives you, think I might try that :)

Yampiedog
25-07-11, 12:38 PM
Good luck...mine is due a service too...

Ritchy
25-07-11, 04:50 PM
saw someone do them on a zt kv6 today in situ with the plenum left on, so must be dooable