PDA

View Full Version : Close call

Craig
04-11-07, 12:45 PM
I had a close call the other night. I took my daughter to Mcdonalds for a drive thru. Whilst waiting to collect our order there was a terrible smell of petrol. The pleb at the booth commented to his fellow worker that it was coming from the car infront of mine, I didnt think much of it untill I pulled away and the car stalled.

Restarted the car and it died again, heavy pertol smell too. I then drove to a parking space, meaning much revs and slipping of the clutch so it wouldnt die. I left it for 10 mins, hoping that it would be ok on starting again. no joy! So I pooped the bonnet, absolutely stinking of petrol. The breather filter was soaked. So i decided to start her up again while peering under the bonnet. Petrol pissing out of the pipe beside the throttle body! I pushed the pipe back in and it was fine (once the smell went)

I can only think I inadvertantly dislodged the pipe the other day when i remove the TB and when I went over the speedbump in Mcds its fallen out altogether. Im glad the engine wasnt very warm or god knows what might have happened. Needsless to say iv been checking it constantly since then and all seems fine

Boot Hill Bandit
04-11-07, 12:55 PM
It's the petrol vapour that will ignite and being under a closed bonnet you may have had a nasty surprise if that vapour had ignited with the manifolds being so hot.........the KV6 seems to generate a lot of under bonnet heat after a good thrashing anyway :rofl:

Methinks you had a very lucky escape.........otherwise you may have had a flame grilled ZS instead of just a whopper meal.

Smitten Jim

stamford
04-11-07, 01:14 PM
Nasty that, anything with fuel is. I had a fuel pipe go one day, it was raining and the fuel was pumped over the rear wheel, I was wheel spinning (old Carlton RWD btw) in the wet and took me a while to click as to what was going on.

I bet you are paranoid now!

sduk
04-11-07, 01:23 PM
sorry to hear that, might go check mine to make sure its ok lol, i changed my tb to a 52mm not too long ago so need to check its ok :)

glad yours is ok now Craig!

Maxxed_Ross
04-11-07, 01:56 PM
that is a lucky escape, petrol is nasty stuff at the best of times

arwilson80
04-11-07, 02:55 PM
That was lucky... Like the others say it could've been so much worse if it had ignited as you weren't expecting it.

I have to say i enjoy messing about with petrol under 'controlled conditions'. Soooo much fun. :)

Leasky
05-11-07, 02:24 AM
very close call glad all is ok tho

Southern Storm
05-11-07, 11:41 AM
Had the same in my old jag. Damn scarey when you see it happening. I still remember screaming at my mate 'TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!'

Smokey
05-11-07, 12:32 PM
atleast all is well now and problem has been averted!