PDA

View Full Version : Finally Bought a ZS!

Levi
03-08-11, 04:32 PM
I joined the forum last year some time to ask some questions about these cars as I knew i wanted one, but wasn't sure between the 120 and the 180. Well after going to see and drive 3 candidates (all 180's) I finall bought one. I found the advice from this forum very useful when looking at the cars and was intersting to see some of the 'Common Faults' when looking.

I'm glad that I drove all 3 cars because they gave me something to compare against, and it was amazing how the same spec car can drive so differently. The first one I drove seemed very sluggish (also had white sludge under oil cap) and I was a bit disappointed, to the point where I was going to not bother with the other 2, and look into a different car to get. Went to the second one which had realy untidy bodywork etc, but when I drove it, it went like stink which was encouraging! The 3rd one was the one that I bought in the end because the bodywork was pretty good for the age, ticked all the 'maintenance' boxes that I was after, it went very well (not quite as quick as the 2nd one, that seemed really quick?), and just the best value for money.

General Spec...

MK1 Saloon (Silver)
64,000 miles
Cam Belts done
Good service history
2 Owners from new
8 Months MOT
12 Months Tax (i had to pay for)

Overall I am very impressed with the car, especially the handling! It just seems to turn exactly where and when you want it to with total confidence. The engine feels sweet with more grunt than I expected from looking at the 'on paper spec'.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/TriggerMetro/MG%20ZS%20180/MG2.jpg

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/TriggerMetro/MG%20ZS%20180/MG1.jpg

There are a few small faults that I have found with the car after driving for a couple of days, which will be my first port of call with the car;

- Sloppy gear linkage (I see that Moto Build to a repair kit?)
- Settings 1 and 2 don't seem to work on the blower (I read that this is quite common, and should be the resistor?)
- Air Con may need a re-gas
- Throttle seems a little sticky, and sometimes fluctuates up and down when idling (this is something I will need advice on from you kind people!)

Sorry for the lack of pictures, the battery run out when I was taking them, I'll get more up soon.

Lee

big_wasa
03-08-11, 04:40 PM
:hi:

Looks tidy, Exhaust and induction kit make a big differance how quick it feels.

Heater res' is a very easy fix.

peterzs
03-08-11, 04:50 PM
Hi and :hi:

Glad the site was useful on checking for how they should go and faults to look out for.

Looks like a great motor and a bonus with belts done, normal faults easy to fix. Think the idle can be down to muck in the throttle body, or even a sticky throttle cable, not going back. I've got a derv, so dont really know, just what I have read on here.

Happy motoring.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Dan1971
03-08-11, 05:02 PM
Great stuff. Great to see someone going for a 180. Performance bargain of the last few years.

Glad the forum was of use when you went hunting.

Levi
04-08-11, 07:56 PM
Cheers fellas, yeah induction kit will probably be the first upgrade once I have everything else settled and I'm happy that's it's running ok. Exhaust I will upgrade when the current one fails! I want to get the car on the dyno while it's standard too, just to see what's what, and get a general health check.

Few days off next week so I'll start by taking the throttle body off and cleaning it up and check the cable just to eliminate those.

Dan1971
05-08-11, 03:27 PM
........ I want to get the car on the dyno while it's standard too, just to see what's what, and get a general health check.

Check my thread out re TCS at Bishops Stortford - (Good garages) - and the performance mods added thread.

He's got a dyno and is really good price-wise where it comes to fitting anything too.

Levi
05-08-11, 03:35 PM
Ok nice 1 dan, I'll have a loom at that. Bishops stortford is not too far from me at all!

talkingcars
05-08-11, 06:10 PM
Hi and welcome.