PDA

View Full Version : Airlock please help

MG-JOCKEY
09-08-11, 04:34 PM
I changed the antifreeze today everything was going good till I tried to bleed the system. I have been at it for 4 hours and still no luck. Can anyone give me any advice please.
Cheer
John

BUCKYDEVIL
09-08-11, 04:44 PM
How do you know it has an air lock -symptoms ?
Have you let it run till Temp rises & fan kick in to see if it gulps down coolant.

MG-JOCKEY
09-08-11, 04:55 PM
How do you know it has an air lock -symptoms ?
Have you let it run till Temp rises & fan kick in to see if it gulps down coolant.

Yeah mate engine right up to temp and the fan kicked in as normal.
Header tank is not going down at all and the heater is blowing cold. When I take the bleed screw out the water shoots out of the hole. I don't want to drive it invade I do any damage.
Cheers
John

BUCKYDEVIL
09-08-11, 05:34 PM
With 2 people you could try with one person opening bleed valve to a steady stream and the other person filling coolant at a steady equal rate to see if that clears the lock.
How was the temp dial when fan kicked in, was it very high ?
I've read of people letting engine come up to temp without coolant cap on to blow out the airlock BUT I think that could cause more harm than good & wouldn't try it myself.

MG-JOCKEY
09-08-11, 08:52 PM
With 2 people you could try with one person opening bleed valve to a steady stream and the other person filling coolant at a steady equal rate to see if that clears the lock.
How was the temp dial when fan kicked in, was it very high ?
I've read of people letting engine come up to temp without coolant cap on to blow out the airlock BUT I think that could cause more harm than good & wouldn't try it myself.

hi mate its a weird one. but hopefully its fixed now. when i switched the car off there was a big gurgle sound and the level in the header tank dropped right down. so i left it for a couple of hours till it cooled right down. then i checked the level again still at max. so i took it for a wee drive all seems well hot air out of heater and the temp gauge went to just under half and never moved from there. so fingers crossed. i will still be keeping an eye on it tho.
cheers. oh i forgot when the fan came on when bleeding it the temp gauge never went over half way.
john

peterzs
09-08-11, 10:04 PM
Bet you are pleased, bit like burping a baby.

Glad its sorted.

:wave:

MG-JOCKEY
10-08-11, 07:51 AM
Bet you are pleased, bit like burping a baby.

Glad its sorted.

:wave:

lol thanks mate. i am glad too as i know what the k-seres engines are like after having a few of them. i also like the sensor on the header tank so you know if the water drops past the minimum mark:smile1:
cheers
john