PDA

View Full Version : Little Mods

Blade9274
13-08-11, 09:25 PM
Hello People.

Been a member for just over a week and i am loving the site. So much useful information on here :).

I am thinking of doing a couple of little mods, and was wondering what people's thoughts were.

1) De-Tangoing my headlights, and replacing with silvertech bulbs. (Maybe smoke them)
2) Buy and fit a Laguna Splitter.
3) Finally i am really not sure about this one, but was thinking of spraying the mesh Grills Black.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Thanks Graham

Supercharged_Z
13-08-11, 09:41 PM
Hello Graham,

Welcome... nice to see a local member..

from experience you may just want to buy some rover 400 headlights as they are built with with no orange reflectors.

Laguna splitter is actually rarely done anymore but can look very good depending on the colour of your car

The grills spray black well, i had it done a while ago, but bewarned stone chips can make it messy.....

hope to see you around mate..

is your car a hatch? what colour is it?

Cheers
Ross

Blade9274
13-08-11, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the Reply.

Its a MK1 Black, same as the one in the pic you have at the bottom of your posts. (Santa-Pod Pic)

Luckly i de-tangoed my old MK5 Fiesta Zetec-S, i have a heat gun and all the stuff to do a de-tango :)

The main reason for the splitter was that my car was black too :)

I will have a look around the site and try find a pic of someone else who has sprayed the Mesh.

I am just upset that when i meet you to get the Sheddist Kit from you it won't be in the ZS :( and will have to be in my Wifes Rover 214si.

All i will say about the Wifes car is its a 1997 214si, with wait for it........ 48000miles

Supercharged_Z
13-08-11, 10:14 PM
thats some low miles?!!! why cant you bring the ZS out!?

the colour the the zs i had wasnt black it was somthing rare... black wheels looked good!

Blade9274
13-08-11, 10:29 PM
The only thing going for the Wife Rover is the Mileage.

I have added an album to my profile, can you not see the pic of my car to the left of my posts??

The reason the ZS can't come is it looks like the Hydrulics have failed, only had them replaced in Oct last year.
I am hoping fitting the Sheddist Kit fixs the problem and i can return the stuff i brought and get a full refund...
If the Sheddist Kit doesn't fix the problem then the only other thing it can be is the clutch plate and release bearing :(

I am sure we will cross paths in the ZS's one day :)

If anyone else see's me i will wave back ;)

talkingcars
14-08-11, 04:56 AM
..........from experience you may just want to buy some rover 400 headlights as they are built with with no orange reflectors..........

You need Rover 45 headlights, not 400.

Dan1971
14-08-11, 06:12 AM
Mesh change .....

Mine wasn't quite black when I got it ....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/NewZS2001.jpg

but one of the first things I did was get it back to standard ..... looked much better .... IMHO

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/MYMG001.jpg

Blade9274
14-08-11, 07:53 AM
Hmmmmm, i like the mesh black but think you maybe right about it looking better Silver.

The front of that ZS has everything i was thinking of doing :)

Thanks Mate

Another thing that i have to do is replace the MG badge's they are so worn..
And best mod of all will be some site stickers ;)

Taphouse
14-08-11, 08:03 AM
IMO it looked better with black grills.

I did all of the above little mods on a red mk1, and it made quite a difference. I de-oranged my ZS headlights, but it was quite a job, and you had to spray the orange silver, as its not an orange film like on fiesta. another top tip would be put the headlight unit in an oven for 5 mins on a low heat until golden brown! Only kidding just started to sound like i was on a cooking program! Leave in the oven on around 100c (reduce if using a fan assisted oven lol) for 5 minutes, and the lens will come away much easier than with a hot air gun.

:mml:

Blade9274
14-08-11, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply,

So the orange is not just a plastic insert that you can remove??
That makes it much harder in my opinion, Maybe paying ?20.00 for some 45 lights is the way forward. Then sell my stardard lights to get the money back :) (FREE MOD :D)
I think i am going to give the black mesh a bash, if i dont get on with it its reversed easy enough..

Do you have to cut down a standard laguna splitter or are they a perfect fit?

Thanks

big_wasa
14-08-11, 08:47 AM
You will be lucky to get anything for your old units as there are so many about.

Shop around for the r45's and it wont be a dear mod. I think I paid ?25 posted. Spliter seems harder to get on the cheap.

Mr ZS180
14-08-11, 10:29 AM
Hi Graham.

Nice to see another Z owner not too far from me.

I quite like the black grilles. Very stealth!

IMO it looked better with black grills.

I did all of the above little mods on a red mk1, and it made quite a difference. I de-oranged my ZS headlights, but it was quite a job, and you had to spray the orange silver, as its not an orange film like on fiesta. another top tip would be put the headlight unit in an oven for 5 mins on a low heat until golden brown! Only kidding just started to sound like i was on a cooking program! Leave in the oven on around 100c (reduce if using a fan assisted oven lol) for 5 minutes, and the lens will come away much easier than with a hot air gun.

:mml:

I did mine in the oven at about 90 degrees for about 20 mins IIRC and they came apart quite easily although the glue is REALLY messy!!! The orange insert just needs to be prised off with a screwdriver or something. When it all goes back together just make sure it is fully sealed as any gaps in the sealant cause water in the headlights.

Don't make the same mistake I did though.........

I sprayed the silver reflector black. It looks good but my headlights are awful now. I have 100w bulbs in them at the mo and they are still terrible, but luckily I don't drive the Z much at night. Need to get some 45 headlights before the MOT.

The sheddist should sort out your problem though. I was convinced my clutch had gone as I replaced the whole hydraulic setup (master and slave) with a replacement OE one and it was the same but when I made my sheddist kit it changed everything!

Mr ZS180
14-08-11, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the reply,

That makes it much harder in my opinion, Maybe paying ?20.00 for some 45 lights is the way forward. Then sell my stardard lights to get the money back :) (FREE MOD :D)
I think i am going to give the black mesh a bash, if i dont get on with it its reversed easy enough..

Thanks

You'll be lucky to get a pair for ?20. They're usually 20 notes each on the bay!

welshone
14-08-11, 10:33 AM
You'll be lucky to get a pair for ?20. They're usually 20 notes each on the bay!

Got mine for ?35 delivered from the BAY.

daytona365
14-08-11, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the reply,

Thanks

Id keep the lights, just incase you have a little prang. I got a spare set of front and backs. Who knows in a few years they may be like gold dust!!!

Supercharged_Z
14-08-11, 11:02 AM
i have a pair of 45 lights here.

not the best but would do a job.

?25

also have zs std lights here too. incase anybody needs them for mot or somthing

edit. these are now sold pending payment lol

Taphouse
14-08-11, 02:57 PM

Thanks

They dont fit perfectly, and it all depends on how good you get the bend on the corners, to whether you need to cut it or not, think i got one end bob on, and the was a little over hanging.