PDA

View Full Version : Launch techniques

vanishing days
16-08-11, 09:18 AM
Hey

I no a few people on here have been to santa pod im going to be giving it a go but I have no idea how to get a good launch noing my luck I'll stall the car. So can anyone give me some ideas of rev range and how to launch is it a case of hand brake on and launch. And what is peak power I should change at?

Cheers
Arron

peterzs
16-08-11, 09:41 AM
Its a good laugh, they call you up to the first line, then you get lined up on the actual start line. Christmas tree lights, run down to green, dont jump the lights as you get a reaction time and I think they cancel the run times if you go before the green.

Have no idea of proper starts, I just floored it and sat there with the wheels spinning and smoke coming up, all very exiciting but doesnt do the times much good.

My ones a derv, so I went just to see how it went, 17.5 and 82 mph end speed, get laughed at by the 180's but I was happy.

Just remember you have to drive home at the end of the day, I got 6 or 7 runs, RWYB, and only stopped as the clutch started to smell a bit. Very easy to get carried away, and you think, "next time I'll try this, shave a few secs off".

We had snow and they stopped the runs, loads went home but I stuck around. When they restarted, you just did the run and joined the line of cars, only about 12 in front.
Have heard you have long delays at some of the RWYB days.

Hopefully someone will be along with the right techniques, increase/decrease tyre pressures etc.

Have fun.

:devil::devil::devil:

Simon's ZS-120
16-08-11, 11:39 AM
dont use lauch control its **** in a front wheel drive car my ST comes with it standard and lets you rev to 3500rpm as thats were the turbo kicks in. But when it does i get huge amounts of wheel hop through 1st and 2nd gear losing time. i have a video of face book of it some were.

i found that if you start on the bite point with enouth revs to get an agressive start you pull nicely then plant the throttle through 2nd gear