PDA

View Full Version : theMGZS track car mini update

Smokey
18-08-11, 12:41 PM
Ok so as you know, this has dragged on for quite some time with not being able to get George available to do the work.

However he is refunding me shortly and I am using this and around ?100-150 of my own money to get the job done in Scotland.

This will be done on my return from honeymoon (wedding in 2 weeks) so am hoping to have it fully running in a very short time.

Sadly this will be too late for the Dreadnought track nights which are a cheaper option to Knockhill's full day events but I plan to attend atleast November's track day and all are welcome.

Once I know more I will update everyone, I apologise for the time this has taken so far.

stamford
18-08-11, 12:43 PM
Will be pleasing to see this finished and ready to roll. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Smokey
18-08-11, 12:52 PM
Will do. Over the last 7 months it has not had the best of time.

The bad snow didn't help the vinyls and the snow on the roof froze, fell and dented the front wing (in pic) and then I moved house.

Since then it has been parked in a car park next to my house which didn't please the neighbours, and the tree next to it tried to swallow it!

As there are now definate plans set to get it repaired, I moved it to outside my house to give it some much needed tlc.

This is what it looked like before I gave it a wash and polish:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/9d37999c.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/e9799315.jpg

So I got to work. This involved soaking the plant sap that had created a layer over the car (this seemed to protect the vinyls at least!
Gave it a quick coat of wax just as the rain started to spitter:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/6760c240.jpg

Looking much better.

Only thing I need to fix is the bonnet release. The lever in the car is very loose and the bonnet doesn't fully catch. I see the 2 cables moving when I pull the lever but there is obviously an issue somewhere. May need to wait till the engine is out though?!

Anyhoo, things will be going in the right direction and when it gets taken in, it will be driven out :)

stamford
18-08-11, 12:57 PM
That was a sad sight! The slam panel closers tend to seize so when you close the bonnet they don't catch the spring loaded pins on the bonnet underside. The screws will need to be loosened and oil the catches and run them with a screwdriver to free them up.

Smokey
18-08-11, 01:01 PM
Will give that a look later, cheers :)

peterzs
18-08-11, 01:02 PM
Looks a different car, glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bet you wonder why you started sometimes, give it a few months after its up and running and you will have forgotten all the trials and tribulations. Just all the fun you are having.

All the best.

:beer2::beer2:

Thats the car I'm talking about!!!

Best of luck to you and Kat on the wedding.

Smokey
18-08-11, 01:07 PM
Lol cheers Pete. Considering I was just going to strip it for parts to recover the ?1k I'd spent on it I have spent many a day wondering why I bothered but that was mainly due to knowing I wouldn't have the finances until after the wedding.

Its dragged out so long that now the wedding is almost here, I will have plenty of spare cash to get it running and hopefully enjoy some meets with everyone!

Smokey
18-08-11, 02:07 PM
Oh and as it was clean, I put the rest of the member sponsors on:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/ad58cf3c.jpg

BUCKYDEVIL
18-08-11, 02:22 PM
Good to see you getting optimistic about your plans again mate must have been getting very disheartening looking at it in a sorry state.
Don't know why your apologising to us lot ?
You've been plenty busy moving house, wedding plans etc so I wish you all the best of luck with bringing you lil dream alive.
Shame you won't make last dreadnought night of the year with this but I hope to catch the one in a few weeks, if your not away why not stick your 110 round with mine ?

Smokey
18-08-11, 02:43 PM
Yeah, feeling better about it now that I know its getting done soon. Will be at Disneyland on the next trackday sadly otherwise I would have taken you up on that offer.

Having a look at Knockhills site, the next plausable date I reckon is Sunday 6th November and I am off so would fit perfectly. As long as the weather is dry!

grimmy
18-08-11, 03:12 PM
Good to see things are moving along again.that must have been hugely frustrating to see it sat outside doing nothing.

Smokey
18-08-11, 05:10 PM
Very much so Grimmy, you wouldn't believe the pride I feel having it sparkling again, sitting outside my house. And now my list of priorities are wedding, honeymoon, track car so I know it won't be long!

JIMZS180
18-08-11, 05:39 PM
Very much so Grimmy, you wouldn't believe the pride I feel having it sparkling again, sitting outside my house. And now my list of priorities are wedding, honeymoon, track car so I know it won't be long!

Ha Ha...pretty obvious Kat's on here as well and can read your posts!!!!!

Smokey
18-08-11, 07:16 PM
What are you trying to say?!?! That I would place and MG ahead of my lovely lady?

Of*cough*course *cough* not!!

MG6Turbo
19-08-11, 08:44 AM
Hello Smokey, just to straighten a confusion up you have, Im not refunding any money as I have the oil cooler you paid for which im sending you, along with some other odds and sods, but i did OFFER to assist with the payment of having the engine fitted by Goldie.
I have your bank details which you sent me which i will be sorting over the weekend.

I do apologise that I didnt make it up there, but with health this year, it just never became possible. I havent even managed a trackday myself this year due to health issues.

If you had of been closer it would have made things a bit easier, but obviously that wasnt the case. Ive not even been to Dreadnought this year, and i normally see the Lutis at least twice a year, so this is a first for me this year not going anywhere.

I hope the people involved with this trackday car will understand I didnt mean to let them down, which is why I offered to assist with paying for it to be done up there.

If im well i will try and make Knockhill if there is an invite of course.

Regards

George

Smokey
19-08-11, 09:10 AM
Ah that does clear things up slightly mate, texting has got to be the worst form of communication lol!

I know things have been tough to organise and you have had a lot of things going on, I have no issue with that. Will be looking forward to get the car up and running and seeing everyone take part in some track days.

Once its had a few track days up here, it will be travelling down south so that everyone can have some fun with it down there so hopefully you will be free to pop along too and join in the fun, everyone is welcome!

Will text you my new address as I wasn't aware that you had parts for me, a happy surprise.

Cheers :)

Maxxed_Ross
24-08-11, 06:33 PM
I know how you feel dude, mine has been sitting on axel stands since January!

Hopefully you'll get on track before the end of the year. I've been wanting track time for the best part of 2 years now

p_b82
25-08-11, 12:41 PM
i also know that feeling - been two years since i bolted on the big bits to my car, and still can't track it as not resolved the last bit and it would not take the punishment :(

Smokey
25-08-11, 12:49 PM
Well thankfully it's coming to a close. Once George's money comes in and I return from honeymoon, I will put up the rest of the money and get the job done.

Maxxed_Ross
25-08-11, 02:14 PM
the important stuff comes first. I've really had to cut back recently because I've bought my first house. I even had to sell my van to furnish it!

Ritchy
25-08-11, 04:47 PM
glad its coming along mate!