PDA

View Full Version : What do I do - i'm soooo confused!

john180
20-08-11, 01:27 PM
Ok guys,

Here's the story...

I have black MK2 180 which has done just over 80k. In some ways worth more to me that anyone else - prob 2k at best to sell it. I have done a few small mods to this car including dual exit nice stereo etc...

A few months ago i came across a twilight 180 on ebay - i had to have it. It's done just over 45k miles and a great spec too - full leather, the MG sat nav, tin of paint etc etc...

Now i am at a cross roads - i really like my black 180 as i have made it my own but i'm not sure i want to pay out for the 2 with road tax - insurance etc...

So.... do i...

A. sell the 180 black 180 and make the twilight my own, i'm not sure on this as i think its such a rare car it should be kept standard.

B. Sell the black 180 and keep the twilight standard.

C. Sell the twilight and stick with my black one.

D. Keep them both and incure the cost - I can afford it its just a lot of money (?219 a month insurance on admiral multicar!!!)

E. Sell them both...

or any other alternatives if you have any.

I just cant make up my mind on what to do. What would you do guys?

Help me lol!!! :please:

John

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 01:57 PM
Sell them both and buy something better

KevG
20-08-11, 02:05 PM
Typical Tim, lol

John,

Keep both, use the black car as everyday and tax/insure the twilight for summer use only.

john180
20-08-11, 02:10 PM
I thought cars had to be insured all year round now no matter what they were used for, sorn or on the road. is that right?

If the case is that i don't have to pay out silly money for storing the twilight - Kev - you may have my answer.

John

KevG
20-08-11, 02:15 PM
I thought cars had to be insured all year round now no matter what they were used for, sorn or on the road. is that right?

If the case is that i don't have to pay out silly money for storing the twilight - Kev - you may have my answer.

John

Yeah, Sorn the twilight that way it doesnt need insured, when you want to use tax/insure for the period of use,

Vehicle insurance law

You must declare SORN if your vehicle is:

not taxed and off the road
not insured and off the road
taxed and uninsured - you must insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA

If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

Simples (http://youtu.be/Hl545RF6dXA)

john180
20-08-11, 02:17 PM
Kev, you have made my day!!!

Helpful member of the day - thank you matey!! :D

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 02:20 PM
Typical Tim, lol

John,

Keep both, use the black car as everyday and tax/insure the twilight for summer use only.

Just my opinion BTW :laugh:

Dan1971
20-08-11, 02:21 PM
If the car is parked on a road - it has to be insured.

You are the only one who knows exactly what to do.

The fact that you're asking us for advice goes to show that the twilight jobbie was a good idea, but, in actual fact, you prefer your black one or it'd be gone already.

I had a great Mk1 then a Mk2 hatch in red with alcantara came up - and I bought it. When they were parked together I knew that I preferred the black one, but figured that I'd get used to the Red Mk2 and so sold the Black Mk1. Worst decision of my ZS ownership.

Sell the twilight.

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 02:27 PM
If the car is parked on a road - it has to be insured.

You are the only one who knows exactly what to do.

The fact that you're asking us for advice goes to show that the twilight jobbie was a good idea, but, in actual fact, you prefer your black one or it'd be gone already.

I had a great Mk1 then a Mk2 hatch in red with alcantara came up - and I bought it. When they were parked together I knew that I preferred the black one, but figured that I'd get used to the Red Mk2 and so sold the Black Mk1. Worst decision of my ZS ownership.

Sell the twilight.

ya kno what dan thats how i felt when i bought my MK2 over my MK1

I had a mint 120 with everything i wanted but i had cash burning a hole in my pocket.......

i still say sell both and buy something better but thats just me and if i could et what i wanted for my ZS it would be gone tommorow

Tim

john180
Hey Dan - both cars are parked on private land when not in use so insurance isn't a problem in that respect.

I really like them both but for different reasons - i suppose that is my dilemma.

John

KevG
lol@Dan, am confused now.....!

Anyway Dan is right too, if any car is parked up on the public highway IT but be insured, doesn't need to be taxed but MUST be SORN'd

john180
20-08-11, 02:28 PM
ya kno what dan thats how i felt when i bought my MK2 over my MK1

I had a mint 120 with everything i wanted but i had cash burning a hole in my pocket.......

i still say sell both and buy something better but thats just me and if i could et what i wanted for my ZS it would be gone tommorow

Tim

what do you think is better? what would you replace them with? There's just something about MGs I like.

Dan1971
20-08-11, 02:30 PM
What are the details of the twilight ?

john180
20-08-11, 02:33 PM
What are the details of the twilight ?

It's standard 180 spec but with twilight paint (obviously), full leather interior including rear head rests even has the becker sat nav from factory in it. 45k miles, full service history ect etc.

Dan1971
20-08-11, 02:33 PM
It's standard 180 spec but with twilight paint (obviously), full leather interior including rear head rests even has the becker sat nav from factory in it. 45k miles, full service history ect etc.

Mk1 or 2 ?

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 02:34 PM
what do you think is better? what would you replace them with? There's just something about MGs I like.

TBH mate i dont kno Ive developed a soft spot for the VXR as of late but i cud never afford buy one

Obviously this is an MG enthusiast forum so everything i say will be shot down but ive gone of the whole mg thing the past few months......possibly i miss the noise and the thrill of my V6 but IMO they aernt worth it anymore and i wouldnt be willing to fork out how ever much it is to run them......

I see the MG ZS as a old under developed car it could have been a different animal if MG hadnt gone to ****

Anyways im not you and its your descion id say the twilight is a great looking car but for it too sit in storage gathering dust is it worth it :confused:

john180
20-08-11, 02:35 PM
Mk2 - 54 plate

KevG
20-08-11, 02:36 PM
Is it not the ZS-X, lol

john180
20-08-11, 02:39 PM
TBH mate i dont kno Ive developed a soft spot for the VXR as of late but i cud never afford buy one

Obviously this is an MG enthusiast forum so everything i say will be shot down but ive gone of the whole mg thing the past few months......possibly i miss the noise and the thrill of my V6 but IMO they aernt worth it anymore and i wouldnt be willing to fork out how ever much it is to run them......

I see the MG ZS as a old under developed car it could have been a different animal if MG hadnt gone to ****

Anyways im not you and its your descion id say the twilight is a great looking car but for it too sit in storage gathering dust is it worth it :confused:

OK, here's another side to my story. I have an astra sri 1.9 150 diesel as a company car which i use for work. Nice car but i'm not sure i would buy another astra some how... they just lack something...

I had the black ZS before i got my company car so it just stayed and i drove it when not at work (evenings and weekends etc) the twilight was really going to be my show car - i wanted to keep it in really good condition etc. I suppose now i know that i dont have to insure it even when sorn will make the cost less and I will be able to do what I first wanted to.

John

KevG
20-08-11, 02:39 PM

Tim, am in the same boat dude, I like the ZS and I do like the new 6, but alas the ZS aint worth much now, and I cant afford to go to a new car, I dont like the VXR's are they are common as arses same with scoobys, and Focus RS's etc, the ZS stills gives a smile to my coupon, it is here to stay until it dies...

john180
20-08-11, 02:40 PM
Is it not the ZS-X, lol

Haha, no it's not. That's the only other ZS i know of in twilight tho... but i'm sure there must be more??:confused:

KevG
20-08-11, 02:41 PM
OK, here's another side to my story. I have an astra sri 1.9 150 diesel as a company car which i use for work. Nice car but i'm not sure i would buy another astra some how... they just lack something...

I had the black ZS before i got my company car so it just stayed and i drove it when not at work (evenings and weekends etc) the twilight was really going to be my show car - i wanted to keep it in really good condition etc. I suppose now i know that i dont have to insure it even when sorn will make the cost less and I will be able to do what I first wanted to.

John

Good for you mate, :clap2:

john180
20-08-11, 02:45 PM
Good for you mate, :clap2:

Everyone's a winner :strongbench:

Call me greedy for having 3 cars - but I just love my MGs. I had 2 ZRs before the ZS. Loved them to bits. It sounds daft but i get really attached to cars - i'm sure others will be like me too.

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 02:50 PM
Tim, am in the same boat dude, I like the ZS and I do like the new 6, but alas the ZS aint worth much now, and I cant afford to go to a new car, I dont like the VXR's are they are common as arses same with scoobys, and Focus RS's etc, the ZS stills gives a smile to my coupon, it is here to stay until it dies...

I hate the 6 its Orrid.....i had a look over one at Hoptons garage in sandon yesterday on the way back from Powerflow, Cheap and nasty Springs to mind..

i have a feeling ill have mine until it dies TBH but at least its not a horrid car to have for a while just Boring

KevG
20-08-11, 02:51 PM
Everyone's a winner :strongbench:

Call me greedy for having 3 cars - but I just love my MGs. I had 2 ZRs before the ZS. Loved them to bits. It sounds daft but i get really attached to cars - i'm sure others will be like me too.

I had the same until June this year, I had a 1996 Astra for work and the wife has her 09 Astra for her duties and the MG for play, but the escalating costs of 3 running cars, I sold the Astra, so the MG is getting hammered everyday now as well as her Astra

john180
20-08-11, 02:52 PM
Has anyone seen the MG6 Saloon - Magnetta or what ever its called?

john180
20-08-11, 02:52 PM
I had the same until June this year, I had a 1996 Astra for work and the wife has her 09 Astra for her duties and the MG for play, but the escalating costs of 3 running cars, I sold the Astra, so the MG is getting hammered everyday now as well as her Astra

The good thing about my astra is I don't pay for it :)

Bobdope2002
20-08-11, 02:53 PM
Has anyone seen the MG6 Saloon - Magnetta or what ever its called?

my last post

Dan1971
20-08-11, 02:57 PM
Quite like the 6 to be honest .... Far too expensive. Should be 14K for the top spec, but if it's just the looks - I like it.

I reckon both your cars are about ?5-?5,500 - and there ain't much out there better for that money.

Think if I were you - I'd chip/remap the astra and sell the Black ZS

john180
20-08-11, 03:31 PM
My black zs won't be worth 5k. Its done over 80k. Belts are done tho. My twilight one might be. I paid 4k for it.
The astra has to stay standard coz it's a company car otherwise it would certainly have been tinkered with ;)

Dan1971
20-08-11, 03:33 PM
My black zs won't be worth 5k. Its done over 80k. Belts are done tho. My twilight one might be. I paid 4k for it.
The astra has to stay standard coz it's a company car otherwise it would certainly have been tinkered with ;)

Mate ... I reckon Both your cars Together are worth that.

john180
20-08-11, 03:56 PM
Ahh I'm with ya! The penny has dropped.

Dan1971
20-08-11, 04:05 PM
They'd never know it's been remapped ...... Replace the original map at the end of the contract, or buy it and sell it on ......

mattie007
21-08-11, 10:20 AM
If you can afford to keep both then do so!
There getting rare, especially mint 180's. You have 2 nice examples by the sound of it and could one day increase slightly in value. They can't get any lower that's for sure!

Tim, what's up with the 110?

Bobdope2002
21-08-11, 10:24 AM
If you can afford to keep both then do so!
There getting rare, especially mint 180's. You have 2 nice examples by the sound of it and could one day increase slightly in value. They can't get any lower that's for sure!

Tim, what's up with the 110?

other than the exhaust falling off nothing

spose im just bored and would love the noise and power of the V6 back

still seriously considering selling it and buying a mint mk1 180 and LPGing it

mattie007
21-08-11, 01:11 PM
Yeh that's my plan one day!
There was a yellow 180 LPG near me the other day but it was rough and ge didn't have receipts for belts or the conversion!

Alan.F
21-08-11, 01:41 PM
Keep both like Kev said only use the twilight from April-October as kev says simples.

I got to drive an MG6 the other day

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=18124

Zippy Saloon
21-08-11, 01:44 PM
I just had a few beers and the dogs are asleep

Bobdope2002
21-08-11, 01:53 PM
I just had a few beers and the dogs are asleep

????

Zippy Saloon
21-08-11, 02:09 PM
Thought following the MG6 comment we were just posting random ****?

Alan.F
21-08-11, 02:22 PM
Thought following the MG6 comment we were just posting random ****?

Zippy Further up the the thread he was asking about the car you *****

Zippy Saloon
21-08-11, 02:28 PM
Zippy Further up the the thread he was asking about the car you *****

You're last word aint come out there pal, not being disrespectful are you?
Oops too late repored post, sorry finger slipped

Bobdope2002
21-08-11, 03:37 PM
You're last word aint come out there pal, not being disrespectful are you?
Oops too late repored post, sorry finger slipped

now now children this is usually me getting into trouble

Smokey
21-08-11, 03:49 PM
They were talking about the 6 further up the thread so wasn't that random?

stamford
21-08-11, 04:06 PM
If you can afford it and have the room to keep one off the road for the winter then keep them all. If you don't then keep the twilight and sell the mk2. A nice dilemma to have. Failing that give me the mk2 as a donation to the site ;)

john180
22-08-11, 02:14 PM
yeah i can store the twilight in a lock up warehouse over winter which is cool so wont be rotting outside either - i'm keeping both :D

stamford
22-08-11, 02:56 PM
Nice one! :thumbsup:

MG-JOCKEY
22-08-11, 03:46 PM
yeah mate good call keep them both, especially if you have somewhere to store it through winter.