PDA

View Full Version : Insurance TPFT question

Jay-ZS+
31-08-11, 05:55 PM
Ive been looking at insurance for the bike and dunno what it is but the companies seem to hate any modifications. Had quotes without mods of around ?280 but then add the mods and most places stick their heads in the sand the best I have had was around ?1600!! :yikes:

These quotes are only TPFT!!

My question is if I dont tell them about the mods and Im in an accident will they still cover the other party.

Im guessing that if its stolen then they will wriggle their way out of it.

caled
31-08-11, 06:01 PM
For ?1300, Id be taking those modification back off...

Andyf
31-08-11, 06:52 PM
I think they will (I am by no means 100% sure though) but they could then take you to court to get their 3rd party costs back. Next time I speak to an insurance company i'll double check but I think that is how it works.

Jay-ZS+
31-08-11, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Andy, Was hoping one of the guys in the force would reply. Other people have said similar things but no-one is sure. If you could ask that would be great as it seems a stupid price with mods that arent even covered on a like for like basis!!

Dan1971
31-08-11, 07:04 PM
To be honest, I'd say that if you have mods to your bike, it also gives the insurers an idea of how the bike MAY be ridden and the type of owner depending on the specific mods and so the risk to a 3rd party is greater.

It may also mean that you are travelling faster and therefore more likely to have a prang, or in the case of a theft, make it more desirable to thieves, therefore more likely to be stolen.

If you don't declare mods and the bike is stolen - you'll get paid out - however - if the bike is then recovered, it'd go to them and you'd have a tough time arguing that the mods were made AFTER it was stolen and they'd come after you for the payout back.

mattie007
31-08-11, 08:59 PM
Im with Bennetts. ?99 a year TPFT and that includes the end can and wheel stripes!
Also get 20% off a trackday, european cover and TPFT on any other bike.

Jay-ZS+
31-08-11, 09:14 PM
Quoted me over ?700!! This is crazy!!

mattie007
01-09-11, 06:54 AM
Jesus! I had fully comp for my first year at ?500 but that was through Kawasaki. It should come down alot once you've got your 1st years NCB.

stamford
01-09-11, 07:17 AM
Declare the mods all day long, it isn't worth the grief. Remember, if there is any personal injury caused by you, then you will be sued as the insurance will be invalid. If you cannot afford the insurance then you shouldn't have the toys in the first place. You say this quote is not on a like-for-like cover? How can they justify the price? I've had this before on the zed and the price was okay, changed it to full mod cover with another insurer and the premium increased a little.

Jay-ZS+
01-09-11, 07:22 AM
You say this quote is not on a like-for-like cover? How can they justify the price? I've had this before on the zed and the price was okay, changed it to full mod cover with another insurer and the premium increased a little.

This is what gets me the mods arent covered but they put the price up Five fold!! Got a quote from ebike last night for ?466 with mods so think I will take them up on that. Gonna do abit of phone bashing first to see if I can do any better.

Not sure why bike insurance is so funny about modifications, I dont know anyone with a bike that hasnt at least changed the end can!!!

Next year I will have a yrs ncb and be 25 so qualify for classic bike insurance :thumbsup:

stamford
01-09-11, 07:26 AM
Well with nil ncb and being a young age will make you a high risk rider especially with a bike with such mods. Take the ?466!

Jay-ZS+
01-09-11, 07:27 AM
Well with nil ncb and being a young age will make you a high risk rider especially with a bike with such mods. Take the ?466!

Plus the two SP30's Ive aquired I think youve hit the nail on the head!!

stamford
01-09-11, 07:32 AM
Oh dear, the skeletons are coming out of the closet now! :laugh:

Jay-ZS+
01-09-11, 07:33 AM
I blame the 180!! It wasnt me officer its the car :whistle:

stamford
01-09-11, 07:35 AM
Called 'Christine' was it? ;)

idge2003
01-09-11, 12:13 PM
I have "Like for like" cover on the mods for the ZS but my opinion is that I reckon any ding and it will be a right off so doesn't matter as you'll only get market value as they aren't repairing it back to how it was!

Only my way of seeing it though!

Brett