PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Question!

KirkJames
03-09-11, 09:07 AM
I had a misfire on my 180 a while back so I changed the plugs and it solved the problem. Anyway, I had the car in for an oil change the other day and I am sure I heard one of the guys say to the other one that they didn't have the exact filter for my car so he produced this other one and stuck it on!

The thing is I was under the car with the guy and the new filter was only about 2/3's the size of the old one. I asked him if that was normal and he said that it wouldn't make a difference. Surely a smaller filter can't do as good a job filtering 5.8 ltrs of oil through it like a bigger one does??

Anyway, it has now developed a different type of hesitancy just as I change gear at low speeds. Can anyone shed any light or tell me if the filter is ok?
I did have a TPS fault code thrown up when I stuck my reader on but don't know if that's related or not. I have cleaned both the TPS and ICV.
Here is a pic:
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/Johnwaynesboots/MG%20ZS/Filter1.jpg

Ritchy
03-09-11, 09:19 AM
Thatll be fine, as long as your oil light isnt on then shouldnt be a problem

petet16
03-09-11, 09:51 AM
As Ritchy says, the filter will be fine, it is quite a bit smaller than the correct one, but the reason for a bigger filter is to stretch the service intervals out.

KirkJames
03-09-11, 09:54 AM
As Ritchy says, the filter will be fine, it is quite a bit smaller than the correct one, but the reason for a bigger filter is to stretch the service intervals out.
Ah right, I didn't realise that, thanks to you both. :)
Do you think the hesitancy is the TPS then?

petet16
03-09-11, 09:56 AM
The size of the filter will only be an issue if it restricts the flow, which the one you have fitted won't do, it also probably wouldn't last the 15000 miles between oil changes as effectively as the normal sized one.

petet16
03-09-11, 10:00 AM
The hesitancy is most probably TPS related, as you've already had a fault code thrown up for it. it makes it chief suspect.

KirkJames
03-09-11, 10:14 AM
The size of the filter will only be an issue if it restricts the flow, which the one you have fitted won't do, it also probably wouldn't last the 15000 miles between oil changes as effectively as the normal sized one.
I will be doing an oil change at least once a year so that's ok :thumbsup:

The hesitancy is most probably TPS related, as you've already had a fault code thrown up for it. it makes it chief suspect.
Yeah I did suspect that, will have a look at some scrappies and failing that I will get a new 'un from the bay or somewhere.
Cheers Bud!!

KirkJames
03-09-11, 10:39 AM
What cars have the same TPS as mine. Probably more chance of there being a rover in the scrappies than an MG. Well the one near me anyway!

petet16
03-09-11, 11:00 AM
Just about every MG Rover from the mid 90's onwards share the same TPS, so any 200/ 25/ZR or 400/45/ZS, 620 or 820, 75/ZT so a pretty good range to go for.

KirkJames
03-09-11, 11:04 AM
Thanks mate, that's a hell of a range!! Nice one, think I will be off to the pikey's round the corner ;)

MG ZS STE
03-09-11, 11:40 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-MG-ROVER-OIL-FILTER-45-75-ZS-ZT-V6-W-/270762116066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0aae03e2

is this the correct PN? i need to change my oil soon.

KirkJames
03-09-11, 11:40 AM
I have had some peeps on .org saying I should change the filter, so I am proper confuzzed now. The filter is a GFE 405, I have telephoned National and they have said that in the book they have two filters listed for the V6, one is the said GFE 405 and the other is a GFE 420. He said that he is willing to swap it over on Monday for the GFE 420, but BOTH are listed for the V6 as he says the replacement generic/pattern part is usually smaller.
Does anyone know the specific part number the supposed correct filter is??

petet16
03-09-11, 11:44 AM
LPW100161 is the MGR part number.

And forgive the expression but the members on .org are talking ballcocks:D

KirkJames
03-09-11, 11:49 AM
LPW100161 is the MGR part number.

And forgive the expression but the members on .org are talking ballcocks:D
All the filters I have looked at to buy seem to be bigger but if you're sure that it'll be fine then I will just make sure I keep on top of the oil changes :thumbsup:

petet16
03-09-11, 12:06 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-MG-ROVER-OIL-FILTER-45-75-ZS-ZT-V6-W-/270762116066?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0aae03e2

is this the correct PN? i need to change my oil soon.

Yes, thats the one

petet16
03-09-11, 12:08 PM
All the filters I have looked at to buy seem to be bigger but if you're sure that it'll be fine then I will just make sure I keep on top of the oil changes :thumbsup:

I've replied in your thread on .org, that dr dave is a ...........:rant::sorry:

KirkJames
03-09-11, 12:20 PM
Well, I'm sure that if a national company has a book on what filters to use then it would be more than stupid to have the wrong filters in there. Thanks for the help bud, he is willing to put the other filter on it anyway on Monday just to make sure it's the right one.
If anything happened due to the wrong filter being on, the work is guaranteed anyways. As for said member, I didn't really like his attitude, not everybody knows about cars do they, and I am trying to learn, and he got the wrong number.