PDA

View Full Version : N/S/R Door Handle

daytona365
04-09-11, 10:56 AM
I have noticed that when I open the passenger side rear door, the surround around the handle at the back, is coming away with the handle.

Is there a clip or fixing to hold it to the door?

I know there is on the 1991-1996 Rover 200.

petet16
04-09-11, 11:08 AM
Yes it's a bolt which goes into a metal threaded insert in the back of the surround, it sounds like the plastic has broken on the back of the surround and allowed the insert to come loose.

talkingcars
04-09-11, 12:35 PM
Do a search on repairing the handles and get it done before the other bolt goes.

daytona365
04-09-11, 04:19 PM
Is there a article on here? My daughter I think may have pulled it off, after I put the origional piece on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can see the two bronze threaded bolts. Can they be glued back on?

Zippy Saloon
04-09-11, 04:21 PM
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=29077

daytona365
04-09-11, 05:07 PM
Read them. On investigation, it is the two brass ends, the plastic has broken away where my heavy handed daughter tried to open the door, before I plipped the CDL!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a few bodyshops as customers, can they just "glue the handle back on to the rods without having to take door apart???

talkingcars
04-09-11, 08:26 PM
Read them. On investigation, it is the two brass ends, the plastic has broken away where my heavy handed daughter tried to open the door, before I plipped the CDL!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a few bodyshops as customers, can they just "glue the handle back on to the rods without having to take door apart???

I wouldn't have thought you'd manage a very good job doing it in situe as the glue will want to run.

Apart from the drivers door there is only 1 rod to remove and all you have to do is spin the handle around it (note how many turns so you do the same when refitting). Obviously there is also the rod on the door card but you'd have to remove the card to get acess to the back of the handle anyway.

Then use some arildate to glue the brass bits back in.

daytona365
04-09-11, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't have thought you'd manage a very good job doing it in situe as the glue will want to run.

Apart from the drivers door there is only 1 rod to remove and all you have to do is spin the handle around it (note how many turns so you do the same when refitting). Obviously there is also the rod on the door card but you'd have to remove the card to get acess to the back of the handle anyway.

Then use some arildate to glue the brass bits back in.

Meant glue in a philisophical way. Bodyshjop would use something bit stronger lol

heres a pick of damage....

daytona365
18-09-11, 07:06 PM
Have sorted the handle. Took door card off, handle off and epoxy glued it . Smothered the metal to the plastic. That should cure it. Tested it after 5 hours. Good as new, all I need to do now is to just stop my daughter from breaking the other 3!!

dida4g
19-09-11, 11:04 AM
The other handles will break at some point, Older Rover 400/civic's have the bullet proof ones. I have a civic set on my MG.

chris106
19-09-11, 11:20 AM
What year of car do you get the handles off? I have the same problem, how are the handles different which makes them better? And is it a straight swap?

dida4g
19-09-11, 02:02 PM
In a nutshell the olders handles were made better and it's a straight swap.
The top spec civic (known as MB6 civic)all came with rear electric windows,
these are regularly being broken on Honda forums for mainly the running gear.
I picked up both complete rear doors and front handles for very cheap.
search ebay "breaking mb6" brings up 12 results.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2126/3781/30314390001_large.jpg

talkingcars
19-09-11, 06:36 PM
Repairing the handles properly makes them a lot stronger.

KevG
20-09-11, 09:58 PM
My 1st passenger front door handle burst about 3 years ago, at the time it was easier to replaced with a colour coded item, but tonight, my car received a complement today on good it looks etc etc and as that person opened the passenger front door the handle pulled away from the door!!