PDA

View Full Version : Why I love my ZS!

Mr ZS180
06-09-11, 10:46 AM
Aside from the obvious, as already stated by almost everyone on the site, I realised a few more reasons I love it yesterday.

Basically, I was driving home from my parents house when I got a call from the missus saying the window on our family car (a 307SW) wouldn't go up, so I had to go down to meet her to see what was up. Basically, after dismantling the window switch unit, I found a tiny bit of plastic had broken off the switch, stopping it pressing on the up button. Replaced it with one of the back ones for now, no problem, job done!!!

Except, now the electric mirrors don't work! They have power, as the powerfold works, but cannot adjust the direction of them any more. Great! Not the end of the world though so I thought 'Time to go home'.

I then realised that she had a puncture on the rear pass side, so I grabbed the tyreweld from the boot and was about to use it when I saw a whacking great screw poking out of the tyre! By this point I was getting quite annoyed. I was wearing good clothes and was tired from working till 10am in the morning!

Went to change the tyre, but the way Peugeot have done the spare on these cars is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen! It's a winch system, that winches the tyre into the boot floor. Except the cable was stuck, meaning I had to get under the car and start tugging at it to get it free.

Got it out, changed the wheel (finding out there was only 3 bolts holding the wheel on), ended up filthy and more annoyed.

The kind parking attendant then pointed out that the pass rear light was out. At this point annoyance really set in so I thumped the unit and the light came back!

So far with this car there have been numerous niggly faults, and I really hate niggly. (most annoying one being an 'antipollution fault' beeping all the time which happens to nearly all of them and is pretty much uncurable!)

This brings me onto the point about the ZS, and pretty much all Rovers I have owned.

They don't seem to have niggly faults for me. I can deal with big problems. To me, big problems are just a reason to upgrade, and this was the case with my 220 turbo when I blew the engine twice. I just thought 'have to get a better built one next time'!

Niggly faults cause me to sell cars, and so far my 180 has been good to me in the 18 months I have had her. Only things really were:

ABS Kicking in all the time - Relector rings replaced.
Clutch hydraulics went - now upgraded.
90k miles passed - Belts done.

The only annoying thing I have had was when it was running on 5 cyls for ages and couldnt work out what it was until Lates wiggled the ECU and cyl 6 came back to life and hasnt gone since.

The only car I forgave that had niggly faults was my old MGF. Roof leaked by drivers window if it started raining, but only if you opened and closed the door. If it stayed closed, it didnt leak, causing me to have to get out the pass side when it was raining!! It also drove like it was on ice when I fitted the MK2 ZS 11 spokes, but that was more my fault!!

Anyway, theres the story about why I love my ZS so much, and I really cannot see me selling for a very long time, and bearing in mind I have had 30 cars in 10 years, thats a good statement for me to make!

p_b82
06-09-11, 11:13 AM
My GF's 206 had all sorts of similar niggles with it as well - the good one was using the indicators would alter the stereo - and this was not even using wheel mounted stuff!

i have a love hate relationship with the ZS.... the love is still there, but i need to speak to matt as it seems it has decided to crack the windcreen for a laugh... (rust bubble induced i think the message said)

stamford
06-09-11, 01:12 PM
That is probably why I have had my ZS for over 6.5 years, it is the most reliable car I have ever owned and in the 30 years I have been driving I have had close to 60 cars!

zsserbia
06-09-11, 02:37 PM
That is probably why I have had my ZS for over 6.5 years, it is the most reliable car I have ever owned and in the 30 years I have been driving I have had close to 60 cars!

Way da go Mick, I remember you've said that back when I joined the forum and it really put some confidence in me to my zed. And really, so far, so good, I'm in for another MOT next week and I think it will pass no problem at all as last year. Fine motors they are, no matter what others say.

As for the pug's I've heard even more horror stories as they are very popular in Serbia, except here they even sell some which are assembled in India, lol

KevG
06-09-11, 05:21 PM

My ZS is the same, I have had her for 7 years now from 11 miles on the clock.

Bobdope2002
06-09-11, 05:34 PM
had nothing but MG/Rover my 414 was a **** box (Hg twice then the Gearbox Blew Up),but all my ZS's have been Spot on...the odd niggle here and theyre but nothing to cry about

zsserbia
15-09-11, 12:09 AM
Another reason why I love my ZS... I proudly present my zed's playground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdPdN0RseQ

The vid is onboard of Marco Tempestini and codriver Dorin Pulpea in a Pug 207 s2000...

Ever since I got my zed, I am tempted every day to take an extra couple of miles (and burn a bit more diesel) on my way from work through these very curves and this wonderful forest. Windows down, loads of oxygen through my lungs and through my zed's air intake... You can actually hear the engine note get a higher pitch instantly and feel better throttle response. I keep smile on my face as it tosses me around corners. Several minutes of this and just about all stress from work gone. Period. A kind of magic...

I hope you guys like the vid and see why I enjoy this track in my zed so much. The thing you don't see on the vid is how steep some of the sections are, it's really quite special. The biggest climb is 1:40-2:40 (you can imagine how steep it is as it took this pug a full minute). The derv's torque gets me there fairly quickly and provides constant push in the back, so another thumbs up for her.

Funny thing, my 2 year old wee man enjoys himself even more on a Sunday ride. Hearing him giggle all the way in his bucket seat at the back is priceless...

The MG ZS. It doesn't just get you from point A to point B. It really connects the dots.

daytona365
15-09-11, 05:55 AM
I LOVE MY ZED...........It makes me feel young and always brings a big grin to my face.
As for reliablility, I have owner Rovers since 1997 and nothing that I couldnt fix myself has ever gone wrong with them. The ZED has only gone wrong once, and that was just bad workmanship. Shame that after getting rid of the rotten stigma, MGR went bust.
Keeping my ZED for eva!

peterzs
15-09-11, 08:45 AM
Great vid, lucky you to drive round those roads.

We have the New Forest near us, flat with no hills but some nice areas.

Love my derv as well, thinking of putting my SDi's in, to see if they give a little bit more kick in the back, motoring.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

greenyzs180
15-09-11, 09:35 AM
:thumbsup:i couldnt agree more,i told my daughters i may get rid of the zs cos my m8 is having trouble getting fuel from work so with rising fuel cost will cost me lot more than wanna fork out,in the end they begged me not to get rid witch glad to say i havent and wont,i brought a motorbike in the end to comute local and with it being only a 400 i save on insurance and fuel so everyones happy,ive only had the zs180 for around 13months and only had the common probs come up like thermostat and normal running issues like brakes ect,its had 2 mot's since had and only failed on brake lines so apart from that i couldnt b happier with my zs,she's fast enuff for me,comfatable and fits the kids and misses with ease.what more could i ask for,best buy i have ever made considering had around 20-30 different cars in the 20 years of driving i think that says it all,its the longest i've kept a car and plan on keeping for a lot longer

caled
15-09-11, 10:12 AM
If we had a decent forest road like that one in Serbia, it'd be covered in f'ing speed cameras.
I've got the cat and fiddle, the snake pass AND the woodhead pass near me, the former is an average speed check road and the latter two are littered with fixed and mobile speed cameras.

zsserbia
15-09-11, 11:17 AM
If we had a decent forest road like that one in Serbia, it'd be covered in f'ing speed cameras.
I've got the cat and fiddle, the snake pass AND the woodhead pass near me, the former is an average speed check road and the latter two are littered with fixed and mobile speed cameras.

We got them f' cameras as well in many streets with high frequency, but not here, at least not for now. Just occasional cavalry of couple of policeman riding but they're smart enough not to use the road, pedestrians as well as someone could really get killed. There are no speed limits on the road as it is impossible for a regular car to reach any speeds beyond 40 mph because of the climbs and frequent corners. My std derv though is capable enough of 70+ uphill and fast corners and rarely bellow 40 in slow corners, so quick enough to enjoy as it handles like a go kart... On the other hand, it's fairly dangerous road if you drive fast enough to be kicked out of corner as there are very high sections when you reach the top. Descent is proven to be fatal, hence the solid metal barriers you see on the vid...

stamford
15-09-11, 01:07 PM
:thumbsup:i couldnt agree more,i told my daughters i may get rid of the zs cos my m8 is having trouble getting fuel from work so with rising fuel cost will cost me lot more than wanna fork out,in the end they begged me not to get rid witch glad to say i havent and wont,i brought a motorbike in the end to comute local and with it being only a 400 i save on insurance and fuel so everyones happy,ive only had the zs180 for around 13months and only had the common probs come up like thermostat and normal running issues like brakes ect,its had 2 mot's since had and only failed on brake lines so apart from that i couldnt b happier with my zs,she's fast enuff for me,comfatable and fits the kids and misses with ease.what more could i ask for,best buy i have ever made considering had around 20-30 different cars in the 20 years of driving i think that says it all,its the longest i've kept a car and plan on keeping for a lot longer

Jeez, gave me a headache that, ever thought of using a fullstop and sentences :smartass:

I'd like a bike but swmbo and daughters have said no.