PDA

View Full Version : Few bits to do today ...

Dan1971
23-09-11, 09:19 AM
Silicone boost hoses. Xsara washers and a bit of painting ....

Any tips before I start ????? The boost hose join at the bottom looks like a pig to reach ....

Dan1971
23-09-11, 09:50 AM
This mist jet thing has annoyed me already - everyone says it's easy. :wall:

I can't get the standard fit ones off and I don't want to be left without any so don't want to go too hard at it ....

peterzs
23-09-11, 09:59 AM
It is, expect grazed and bleeding knuckles, still if an old whatsit can do it I'm sure you will be fine.

Its just the fear of taking the old one off and never getting the new one to fit, "man up" as they say.

Saying that I've got my working clothes on to swap injectors, oil change, put new bleed off pipes on, and you reminded me I've got some mist washers somewhere to go on.

Waited till I got the MOT, in case there was too much black smoke, all I had was an advisory for a loose battery, so add screw down the battery clamp.

Getting back to the bottom clamp, make sure you have a good tool that fits and screws the clip up well. Cant remember if I used a small socket rather than a screw driver. And get the angle right before you start tightening up. Looks almost like its easier coming in from the bottom, but I went in from the top. My ones still hanging in there.

Best of luck with it. :beer::beer::beer:

petet16
23-09-11, 10:00 AM
The washer jets come out by squeezing the plastic tangs together, but they can be a tight fit

peterzs
23-09-11, 10:14 AM
Now I know why my ones have sat in a box for a year, scared of messing it all up!!!!

Enright
23-09-11, 10:46 AM
Looking forwards to the feedback from the injector swap Peter!
And Dan, as Peter says, you might find a small socket on the boost hose jubilee clip works better, but be careful not to tighten it so much that the clip punctures the hose (as I've managed to do in the past). :blush:
You could gently try some long-nosed pliers on the tangs on the washer jets...

zsserbia
23-09-11, 11:20 AM
Looking forwards to the feedback from the injector swap Peter!
And Dan, as Peter says, you might find a small socket on the boost hose jubilee clip works better, but be careful not to tighten it so much that the clip punctures the hose (as I've managed to do in the past). :blush:
You could gently try some long-nosed pliers on the tangs on the washer jets...

I agree and if this doesn't work you may try to reach it from the bottom. As for the jets, I used long nosed pliers as said and it worked well, more tough it was to remove the hoses attached to them. I remember I had to cut one of them as it was impossible to take it off.

Enright
23-09-11, 11:57 AM
Ah, boiling water can help at that point as it softens the hose and makes it expand at a different rate to the thing it's attached to.

zsserbia
23-09-11, 12:00 PM
Tried that as well but no go, so in the end it was better to cut the house than to break the nozzle...

BUCKYDEVIL
23-09-11, 12:04 PM
Xsara washer jets are good, soak them in hot water first as I got some dirt out from mine, also colour code them before you fit.
Shouldn't be difficult to remove the old ones.
I just bump them through from the back.

Dan1971
23-09-11, 12:53 PM
Hoses on .... All good. :thumbsup:

Ended up taking out the airbox, and battery tray to get to get access to the bottom hose clip but was a good experience .... Seems far less smokey now, and dare I say it a bit more responsive. There's no obvious split in the old hoses, but there was a lot of residue on the outside of both pipes so something was not right.

As for the washer jets - fitted and when it came to testing them, the jet barely made the bottom of the windscreen ! So - read up and I see a few of you have changed the pump. I'm not that bothered and the standard ones are back on.

Chill out now with a coffee - go pick the boys up from school and then on with the last bit.

petet16
23-09-11, 12:57 PM
I had the problem with the dribble from the misting jets, a non return valve in the pipe from the motor will cure it.

BUCKYDEVIL
23-09-11, 01:01 PM
The jet from my Xrara washers was rubbish at first too, just needed cleaned out as I got them from scrappy & had probably sat for ages getting manky.
Give them a good old soak Dan n see if that cures it.

Dan1971
23-09-11, 02:42 PM
The jet from my Xrara washers was rubbish at first too, just needed cleaned out as I got them from scrappy & had probably sat for ages getting manky.
Give them a good old soak Dan n see if that cures it.

They are brand new ..... Never mind, no big deal. Just got them coz everyone else has and I want to be in the gang ....

p_b82
23-09-11, 03:10 PM
if you had a ton of residue all over the outside then they are def on the their last legs and could have spliet at any time...

seems your timing with your silicone hoses was spot on :)

i personally dont see what is wrong wit the OE washers.. mind point where i need them to and clean my screen * shrugs*

peterzs
23-09-11, 05:22 PM
Injector swap was quite straight forward, when I was brave enough to put a bit of pressure on the spanners.

I checked my main beam bulbs the other day as I had put in Night breakers, fantastic bulbs, but they were pointing up in the air. Ritchy advised they were upside down so I went to have a look, undid the plastic pully guard and the bolt sheared off. So drilling and tapping later -----.

Anyway I expected all the bolts to shear off on the injectors but they were all OK. took off the alloy air pipe and it was all easy to get at. Took off the bleed pipes and replaced the hoses, all buggered. cracked the fuel pipe nut, then removed the clamp bolt at the bottom.

Just have to watch the wire from No1 injector, make sure you dont catch it, or pull it. Unclipped the plug and the wire spring came flying out, lucky I found it and managed to fish it out.

Surprised me a bit of a wiggle and a bit of pressure upwards and the injectors just lift out.

Mine were covered in carbon/soot so dont know how much longer they would have lasted.

New copper washers on the bottom of the injectors, and make sure you dont lose any of the copper washers off the bleed off pipes.

Replaced them all and started up, I squeased the derv bulb to put a bit of pressure in the system, no leaks so put the cover back.

Certainly goes now, trouble is great black cloud if you boot it. I'm going up to Southend Sunday and next week there is a RR at Janspeed.

See whats happening and then maybe a trip to Yeovil and a Reidy remap.

Did an Oil change, gave up on the mist jets, seemed to much bother to get the old ones out.

And the wife is moaning that dinners on the table, so better go!!!!!

Dan1971
23-09-11, 05:37 PM
Injector swap was quite straight forward, when I was brave enough to put a bit of pressure on the spanners.

I checked my main beam bulbs the other day as I had put in Night breakers, fantastic bulbs, but they were pointing up in the air. Ritchy advised they were upside down so I went to have a look, undid the plastic pully guard and the bolt sheared off. So drilling and tapping later -----.

Anyway I expected all the bolts to shear off on the injectors but they were all OK. took off the alloy air pipe and it was all easy to get at. Took off the bleed pipes and replaced the hoses, all buggered. cracked the fuel pipe nut, then removed the clamp bolt at the bottom.

Just have to watch the wire from No1 injector, make sure you dont catch it, or pull it. Unclipped the plug and the wire spring came flying out, lucky I found it and managed to fish it out.

Surprised me a bit of a wiggle and a bit of pressure upwards and the injectors just lift out.

Mine were covered in carbon/soot so dont know how much longer they would have lasted.

New copper washers on the bottom of the injectors, and make sure you dont lose any of the copper washers off the bleed off pipes.

Replaced them all and started up, I squeased the derv bulb to put a bit of pressure in the system, no leaks so put the cover back.

Certainly goes now, trouble is great black cloud if you boot it. I'm going up to Southend Sunday and next week there is a RR at Janspeed.

See whats happening and then maybe a trip to Yeovil and a Reidy remap.

Did an Oil change, gave up on the mist jets, seemed to much bother to get the old ones out.

And the wife is moaning that dinners on the table, so better go!!!!!

Good man ..... Smoke's a given until you get the map done again I think - but then - once again - you will be the Daddy and I reckon 165ish bhp ! I must admit I did wonder if there would be issues with you having done the map on the old injectors. I wasn't sure if the map would cope with the extra fuel from the SDis - that might be why you are getting a lot of smoke - but some more smoke is a by-product I'm afraid.

Anyway, here's mine all done ..... The engine cover's drying ..... ;)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/Hoses001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/Hoses002.jpg

peterzs
23-09-11, 05:54 PM
Wot!! No blood dripping off the pipes.

Looks good Dan. You leaving the cover off to show the bling. Yellow ones wouldnt have gone!!!!

Certainly shifts now, wasnt bad before, but gives the game away when you floor it and the road behind disappears under a big black cloud.

Think I'll be getting 60 mpg, makes you have a fairy right foot, just picks up and goes.

Dont fancy going to Southend, Sunday??? be interesting to get on the Arterial road or whatever its called.

Must admit my old injectors surprised me, with the carbon build up. The car seems to start a bit quicker now, dont know if its just me but I'm sure my pump is very noisy.

Just filled it up and took a note of the miles, so I'll be able to check it after a run.

My bleed off pipes wernt very good, outside braiding had perished, the rubber inside seemed OK, but think they wouldnt have lasted much longer. Must admit I left one of the pipes that went back to the pump. Couldnt see the end, and it didnt seem as bad as the links across the injectors. Bet that will go now!!!

My washers seemed well stuck in, after losing one of the clips holding the sound deadening stuff, I gave up, the O/E ones arnt bad and I can live with them.

peterzs
23-09-11, 06:02 PM
Dan, on the alloy air pipe, the one on the left of your picture and at the back, why does it look black???

When I took my alloy bit off to get at the injectors there is a gasket and my one looked like it wasnt sealing too good. When I put it back I put some red seal stuff on.

Just wondering if its blowing a bit, my one was all shiny and new looking!!!! Thats shiny, where the join is.

Like the blue air box by the way.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ritchy
23-09-11, 06:04 PM
you all need to man up:P kidding, if you warm the back of the washer jets first they will pop out easier, plastic goes a bit brittle after time,

pipes look much better dan

Dan1971
23-09-11, 06:06 PM
Dan, on the alloy air pipe, the one on the left of your picture and at the back, why does it look black???

Following the alloy from the left new Blue hose up towards the windscreen ..... ? That bit.

Went to check and it all wiped off. Think it happened when I changed the injectors but I'll keep an eye on it.

Good spot.

Dan1971
23-09-11, 06:07 PM
you all need to man up:P kidding, if you warm the back of the washer jets first they will pop out easier, plastic goes a bit brittle after time,

Oi .... Done mine but the pump is a weak little biatch so the standard ones went back on .....

peterzs
23-09-11, 06:17 PM

Hi Ritchy, took your advice regarding my main beams, and you were right, I had carefully put the bulbs in upside down.

All sorted now, and have main beams along the road instead of the underside of the trees.

And yes Dan that was the area I was looking at. Glad it seems OK.

MG 53 ZED
24-09-11, 06:47 PM
:hmm:
Nice job Dan looking good inside the engine bay, after reading this post on fitting the SDI'S it looks fairly straight forward gonna have a bash at that myself once i get some new copper washers and some time off from work.

peterzs
24-09-11, 08:39 PM
:hmm:
Nice job Dan looking good inside the engine bay, after reading this post on fitting the SDI'S it looks fairly straight forward gonna have a bash at that myself once i get some new copper washers and some time off from work.

Is an easy job, 10, 11, 15 and 17mm ring and open ended spanners, 10mm socket, + 12 or 13 mm socket.

Would recommend getting the bleed off pipe stuff and change if you havnt already done it.

:clap::clap::clap:

p_b82
25-09-11, 07:39 PM
not to hijack the thread too much, but Pete dont use your right foot 'too' much intil you get it remapped again...

you will be throwing in WAY to much fuel for the SDI's and your turbo to cope with sensibly.... exhuast gas temps get very high very quick with excess smoke.

It is a pity you missed an offer that Matt did recently for very cheap remaps - however i think he is doing a summer deal so best get in there quick if you want to save a few pennies ;)

i do not think you will be seeing more than 160bhp max even with all the extra smoke as they OE turbo just cannot flow enough for more than that.

also double check you boost - it will probably have gone up as a result of the extra exhuast gas... dropping it back to 19 is wise even if it will result in even more smoke!

Maxfly
25-09-11, 07:48 PM
Oi .... Done mine but the pump is a weak little biatch so the standard ones went back on .....

aye, that was what made me change my pump in the end. get yourself a more pwoerful one, i got one from a fucus in the scrapper for pennies and it made all the differnce believe me :)

peterzs
25-09-11, 07:57 PM
Thanks Pete. feather foot fairy they call me now, dont know why!!!!!

Does go, does throw out the black smoke. I have emailed Matt and waiting his reply, will have a phone tomorrow as well.

Saw the remap offer ?150 at Oxford, just whimpped out of fitting the injectors, just got it MOT'd on Thursday and didnt want to smoke out the test booth and upset the MOT guy!!!!

Let you know whats it running, but I'm doing what I said I wouldnt do ---- chase the bhp, always said I'd get a V6 if I wanted big figs, but the bug bites. Or Dan!!!!

Dan1971
25-09-11, 08:11 PM
I don't bite Pete ..... Not unless she asks me to that is ..... ;)

What we'll need to do mate is go to the same RR when you're ready and see what's what.

Must admit though .... Getting the V6 bug again .... :yikes:

Ritchy
25-09-11, 08:27 PM
Hi Ritchy, took your advice regarding my main beams, and you were right, I had carefully put the bulbs in upside down.

All sorted now, and have main beams along the road instead of the underside of the trees.

And yes Dan that was the area I was looking at. Glad it seems OK.

brilliant!

and my pump seems to do the washers great, and also i have a man horn, not the wimpy girl peeper horn and that seems original as well...is my car special or something?

peterzs
25-09-11, 08:44 PM
I've got a set of air horns in the shed, thats what a ZS needs.

Like the twa* that pulled across into my lane on the M25, without even looking. beep beep doesnt really give vent to your feelings.

Smokey
25-09-11, 10:47 PM
My new 180 has an upgraded air horn. Had to use it in the first day as an idiot pulled out on me. Not sure who shat himself more, him or me!!

peterzs
26-09-11, 10:33 AM
They are loud, makes your point to the idiots though!!!!