PDA

View Full Version : Think going to have to sell, short lived ownership!!

After_Shock
09-10-11, 06:26 PM
After getting the car the other week ive finally got around to using it a couple of times recently, lovely and smooth and drives perfectly however I cant get comfortable in it, regardless what do to the seat just cant get it right.

Went on a 100mile or so round trip this weekend for a wedding and as nice as it is my back is now driving me mad, and thats before I get to the major problem, the ride quality. Ive had some stiff cars over the years, even a couple on coilovers but this just takes the biscuit. Im convinced a tooth that is now hurting is from the harsh ride quality! Maybes im just getting old or too used to driving Volvo's I dont know but I cant live with it day in day out which is what I need.

So majorly regrettably in some ways its going up for sale. I was planning on keeping it and making a trackday special out of it, but id be stupid to destroy such a nice example, will just buy something much cheaper and in worse condition next year for that role.

Thanks to all who welcomed me on here been good whilst was on and I will probs be back next year asking how to strip the insides out of another one!

Will get an ad up in the classifieds by the end of tonight.

Dan1971
09-10-11, 06:42 PM
Shame - at least you gave it a go ....

After_Shock
09-10-11, 08:11 PM
Shame - at least you gave it a go ....

Yeah true, in a way my own daft fault for not driving it first suppose.

Is a shame as its a lovely car but just not gonna be useable for me, and thats before get to the ear ache the mrs was giving me over it!

peterzs
09-10-11, 08:18 PM
Shame, but all the best with the sale.

After_Shock
09-10-11, 08:47 PM
Shame, but all the best with the sale.

Thanks its appreciated, have put it in classified section with a link to a pistonehads advert, will take me a week to get the pics uploaded onto here!

Ritchy
09-10-11, 08:48 PM
why not put rover 45 diesel or v6 suspension on it? make the ride nicer

After_Shock
09-10-11, 08:51 PM
why not put rover 45 diesel or v6 suspension on it? make the ride nicer

Did go through my mind but still doesnt solve the driving position issue which im not sure if its down to the seat itself or just the angles etc sat at. Plus its chucking money at it for no reason if it doesnt work.

Ritchy
09-10-11, 08:58 PM
youll get springs n shocks for pennys from a scrappies/ebay and itll definatly soften the ride up, and then seat sure thats fixable too, , brilliant thing about the zs is theres so many different models you can change things with

Dan1971
09-10-11, 09:14 PM
Surprised to hear you whinging about the ride when you've got a Porsche in the garage ! That's got to be harder !

After_Shock
09-10-11, 09:24 PM
Surprised to hear you whinging about the ride when you've got a Porsche in the garage ! That's got to be harder !

Thats the daft thing its nowhere near as harsh as the ZS, even running 18's its not as bad, either its much better damped when it does hit bumps or its simply much much softer on the ride.

After_Shock
09-10-11, 09:26 PM

Oh nd dont mention the Porsche its full of electrical gremlins, costs a bloody fortune to get anything done on it so its off the road and out of my memory lol

talkingcars
10-10-11, 05:40 AM
The ride shouldn't be that hard, have you compared it to another one?

Supercharged_Z
10-10-11, 06:18 PM
I dont think the ride is as harsh as you say it is, especially compared to newer cars.

I drive a company motor, Skoda Superb its a long saloon car designed for familys or whatever, its the se model so not sport, and i tell you that thing clashes about like you would not belive. its far harsher than the ZS.

Another option you could do is buy some coilovers, you could dial out all of the problems you have

andy666
10-10-11, 10:42 PM
After getting the car the other week ive finally got around to using it a couple of times recently, lovely and smooth and drives perfectly however I cant get comfortable in it, regardless what do to the seat just cant get it right.

Went on a 100mile or so round trip this weekend for a wedding and as nice as it is my back is now driving me mad, and thats before I get to the major problem, the ride quality. Ive had some stiff cars over the years, even a couple on coilovers but this just takes the biscuit. Im convinced a tooth that is now hurting is from the harsh ride quality! Maybes im just getting old or too used to driving Volvo's I dont know but I cant live with it day in day out which is what I need.

So majorly regrettably in some ways its going up for sale. I was planning on keeping it and making a trackday special out of it, but id be stupid to destroy such a nice example, will just buy something much cheaper and in worse condition next year for that role.

Thanks to all who welcomed me on here been good whilst was on and I will probs be back next year asking how to strip the insides out of another one!

Will get an ad up in the classifieds by the end of tonight.

Can you not give it a couple of weeks ? Just to see if you can get used to it . I came out of a Citroen Xantia estate (yeah ok bring on the mickey taking !) into my ZS so you can imagine the difference in ride quality but after a couple of weeks i was used to it . As for the seat I dont know chap but i have my seat slightly more forwards than what i would normally and i find it very comfortable but we are all different ! If it comes to it hope the sale goes ok .

stamford
11-10-11, 07:58 AM
:hmmm: I have had mine for 6.5 years or so and am not exactly young and have back problems. It runs on 18s, has coilovers and hard Forza buckets, I cope with it and use it for work, 70 miles a day. Man up! :laugh:

Seriously, shame it's come to this but surprised I must say as I wouldn't say it was that bad from standard.

zsserbia
11-10-11, 08:58 AM
As said, I don't think the ride is so hard. Try and give it a chance, you may find a comfortable driving position and get used to it.

After_Shock
11-10-11, 07:00 PM
Have been using the car for the last few days to go to and from work, no other driving just commuting.

Personally I could probably just and it is a just live with the ride quality on the commute, the main roads are fine but the country road stretch I have to do is a ball ache with the bouncing. Joking apart it is probably as hard as the Porsche but the porsche seems to deal with the same bumps much better, no bounce in it really where the MG doesnt seem to absorb it as well.

However I still cant get the seat/steering wheel right for me and then the problem of the other half comes into it again, she wont let it go so ive got no choice im afraid.

Potentially have agreed a deal on another car tonight so need it gone. Will reduce the price and hope it gets some interest, gonna lose money on it but always do with cars!!

zsserbia
12-10-11, 12:32 AM
Yeap, ZS is one of the best when it comes to road feedback. It's a blessing in bends, being so predictable and always knowing when you're going too fast, so you really know it's actual limit before anything goes wrong. With porsche you'll have to assume before it's to late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x7Mgw0Few @ 3:20 you'll see what I mean

Unfortunately, being right for the track doesn't necessarily make it right for commuting. Still, as long as it doesn't hurt my back or crack my nuts I prefer to hate the road being uncomfortable rather than my Zed...

After_Shock
12-10-11, 06:35 AM
Yeap, ZS is one of the best when it comes to road feedback. It's a blessing in bends, being so predictable and always knowing when you're going too fast, so you really know it's actual limit before anything goes wrong. With porsche you'll have to assume before it's to late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x7Mgw0Few @ 3:20 you'll see what I mean

Unfortunately, being right for the track doesn't necessarily make it right for commuting. Still, as long as it doesn't hurt my back or crack my nuts I prefer to hate the road being uncomfortable rather than my Zed...

Fully agree, the steering is probably the best ive felt in any car, lotus elise included its feedback is fantastic and unbelievably direct. Hence id still like to get another one of these for trackdays next year.

After_Shock
23-10-11, 09:16 AM
Sold it to an enthusiast of them, his mate came with him who already owns one and he said the ride on mine was quite soft compared to his, god knows how hard his is then!

Anyways I will be back next year for a MK1 track day toy.