PDA

View Full Version : mk1 Zs 180 options from new ?

big_wasa
15-10-11, 06:43 PM
I fitted my rear headrests today and I was wondering what other options it could of had when new but the buyer was to tight to spec :fun:

Ive fitted the big spoiler as that was down graded.

It came with rear electric windows aswell as fronts.

What other bits where options as I would like to spec it up ?

cheers

daytona365
15-10-11, 07:02 PM
I got the brochure for 2002. Electric rear windows, sunroof..My ZED got both.

big_wasa
15-10-11, 07:05 PM
******, the sunroof wont be an easy retro fit.

vanishing days
15-10-11, 07:18 PM
I've adds lots of bits to mine heated seats cup holder centre mounted cd dispenser traffic master clock think that's all

daytona365
15-10-11, 07:21 PM

Easy. Just cut a big hole in roof and cover with tarpulin lol :ohmy:

Enright
15-10-11, 09:22 PM
I've been looking into this after I found a Mk1 ZS at my local scrappy with a factory fitted sunroof. The wiring and the mechanism itself is no problem.
You simply take the sunvisors, interior light and grab handles above the doors out the way, then you can unclip and gently remove the head-lining.
This reveals that the wiring unclips dead easily and the whole mechanism unbolts with about 8 x 10mm bolts.

I was hoping that I might be able to cut about 2" round the sunroof aperture to retain the complicated 3D pressing and then have it grafted onto the existing car, using the bolted-in mechanism to provide a "jig". Unfortunately after removing the headlining from my car to compare, the internal chassis of the roof is completely different along the sides and the front, so there is nothing to bolt the mechanism to.

Chatting to a mate about it, he recommended that I would need to drill out the spot-welds from the A, B & C pillars to the roof panel, and lift it off in it's entirety.
After that it would be an extremely brave job of cutting off the roof (while hoping that the car didn't collapse), and getting the new one welded-on, filled and sprayed.

Knowing my luck, I'd end up with 6 leaky windows!

In short you're right - NOT easy at all! ;)

petet16
15-10-11, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't even consider trying to retrofit the oe sunroof to a non sunroof car, far too much of a ballache.

I fitted my Trafficmaster clock today, and the heated front seat switches, just need to remove the front seats and fit the heater pads.

daytona365
16-10-11, 08:14 AM
I've been looking into this after I found a Mk1 ZS at my local scrappy with a factory fitted sunroof. The wiring and the mechanism itself is no problem.
You simply take the sunvisors, interior light and grab handles above the doors out the way, then you can unclip and gently remove the head-lining.
This reveals that the wiring unclips dead easily and the whole mechanism unbolts with about 8 x 10mm bolts.

I was hoping that I might be able to cut about 2" round the sunroof aperture to retain the complicated 3D pressing and then have it grafted onto the existing car, using the bolted-in mechanism to provide a "jig". Unfortunately after removing the headlining from my car to compare, the internal chassis of the roof is completely different along the sides and the front, so there is nothing to bolt the mechanism to.

Chatting to a mate about it, he recommended that I would need to drill out the spot-welds from the A, B & C pillars to the roof panel, and lift it off in it's entirety.
After that it would be an extremely brave job of cutting off the roof (while hoping that the car didn't collapse), and getting the new one welded-on, filled and sprayed.

Knowing my luck, I'd end up with 6 leaky windows!

In short you're right - NOT easy at all! ;)

If you gonna have to lift off the roof, make it a convertible :beer2:

big_wasa
16-10-11, 08:28 AM
No I will give that one a miss :smurf:

caled
16-10-11, 08:57 AM
Hehe makes me glad I managed to get hold of a high spec one...

Serious note though, how did they make the sunroof in the first place? Is the roof just a skin over a frame or something? Or did they have two distinct shells to build from, one with and one without sunroofs?

talkingcars
16-10-11, 09:03 AM

It would be easier to find a povity spec car with a sunroof and fit aircon.

Enright
16-10-11, 09:07 AM
Serious note though, how did they make the sunroof in the first place? Is the roof just a skin over a frame or something? Or did they have two distinct shells to build from, one with and one without sunroofs?
Not 2 distinct shells, but definitely 2 distinct roof panels, and inner side and front reinforcement parts.

talkingcars
16-10-11, 09:22 AM
Not 2 distinct shells, but definitely 2 distinct roof panels, and inner side and front reinforcement parts.

and about the 5th component of the build process.