PDA

View Full Version : Heated Mirrors

KirkJames
01-11-11, 06:10 AM
Do the 180's have heated door mirrors as standard as I have seen a few adverts which mention that they have them. Mine don't appear to do diddly??

RalphG
01-11-11, 07:13 AM
Yes. There is no separate switch for them.

KirkJames
01-11-11, 11:21 AM
So when are they meant to be on then? Is it when the rear heated screen is on? They can't be on all the time surely??

Leigh_EvoIX
01-11-11, 11:52 AM
So when are they meant to be on then? Is it when the rear heated screen is on? They can't be on all the time surely??

Yea, when the rear screen is on iirc.

ZS-GIXER
01-11-11, 01:11 PM
When they are all iced up and you put rear window heater you should notice the wing mirrors smoking

Enright
01-11-11, 02:23 PM
I can't even get my rear window heater to work - the switch looks pretty in the dark but otherwise might as well be a blanking plug!

Bobdope2002
01-11-11, 03:20 PM
on my 120 im sure the mirrors were warm all the time

KirkJames
01-11-11, 04:29 PM
I'll keep my eye on them then cos I'm sure they did nowt when they were misted up last week.

grimmy
01-11-11, 05:24 PM
I think the electrIc mirrors are always active

C13URD
01-11-11, 05:35 PM
Yea, when the rear screen is on iirc.

as above they only work when the heated rear window switch is on...@ you will only really notice them when it is icy or damp...:yes:

talkingcars
01-11-11, 05:44 PM
The heated mirrors should be on all the time, the is true of every MG/Rover/Austin/Range Rover I have ever had where electric mirrors have been fitted.

However for some reason on the ZS and ZR (and the 25/45 I expect) they have a habit of failing, on my ZS the O/S works, on my wifes ZR only the N/S works.

In both cases changing the glass didn't make a difference, one day I will get around to finding why.

They definatly are not dependant on any other factor than the ignition being on.

(disclaimer - I have no experience of the mk2 models.)

dida4g
02-11-11, 06:22 PM
The top spec similar civic also has these heated mirrors, I put a set on my old R400, only found out when I forgot to clean them off in the winter, I was too busy scraping ice off the main windows.

R8NMG
02-11-11, 07:29 PM
The heated mirrors are constantly on and not just come on when the rear windscreen is switched on.

zsserbia
02-11-11, 10:34 PM
They seem to be always on on mine...

KirkJames
03-11-11, 10:47 AM
I bought 2 new mirrors with the heated/convex glass in them for ?25, so will see what happens when I put them in.
How do I get the old ones out, do I just bulldoze in and pull them out or do I need to take the wing mirror off first?

Zippy Saloon
03-11-11, 04:07 PM
I bought 2 new mirrors with the heated/convex glass in them for ?25, so will see what happens when I put them in.
How do I get the old ones out, do I just bulldoze in and pull them out or do I need to take the wing mirror off first?
Press the glass fully in at end nearest car, then slide glass out - may be useful if you have something soft to lever it with (between glass and casing nearest car)

KirkJames
03-11-11, 04:39 PM
Press the glass fully in at end nearest car, then slide glass out - may be useful if you have something soft to lever it with (between glass and casing nearest car)

Brilliant, thanks for the info, I will give it a try!

talkingcars
03-11-11, 05:53 PM
AND WEAR GLOVES!

It is unusual for them to break but if they do the shards are nasty sharp.

KirkJames
03-11-11, 08:34 PM
AND WEAR GLOVES!

It is unusual for them to break but if they do the shards are nasty sharp.

Yeah I will cos knowing me I will chop my bloody finger off ;)

Jem
04-11-11, 05:57 AM
Never used the rear screen but on my Mk2 the heated mirrors seems to be on all the time,You can definitely see it working on the cold mornings ie steam.

Hambo-180
04-11-11, 06:10 AM
I've got a Mk1 180 bought it new in 2002 and its supposed to have heated mirrors but dont think they've ever worked!

KirkJames
04-11-11, 06:39 AM
Yeah mine are kerfunkled, new ones on sometime in the next couple of days if this rain ever stops.

rbull51
04-11-11, 02:01 PM
Ive had my zs for a while now and the heated mirrors have never worked. I just assumed that it didnt have heated mirrors until someone told me otherwise some time back. I took the mirrors out and tested the connectors with a voltmeter and there is power, so its the heating elements that have failed. Keep meaning to replace them!

KirkJames
04-11-11, 06:20 PM
Ive had my zs for a while now and the heated mirrors have never worked. I just assumed that it didnt have heated mirrors until someone told me otherwise some time back. I took the mirrors out and tested the connectors with a voltmeter and there is power, so its the heating elements that have failed. Keep meaning to replace them!

Like I said I bought two for ?25 off ebay but that was the convex mirrors. If you're not worried about that they are even cheaper. :)