PDA

View Full Version : Changing the instrument panel

pheelay
04-11-11, 11:05 AM
Can anyone tell me what happens to the mileage reading if I change the instrument pack in the ZS? Is the mileage recorded in the ECU? I swear I read somewhere in the past that mileage is recorded on both the ECU and within the instrument pack and the display reads the higher of the 2 values. I might have dreamt that up though.

My plan is to change the panel from mph into kph. Next question is how can the odometre reading be changed from miles to km?

Anything else I need to consider?

Enright
04-11-11, 11:39 AM
I can confirm that on the ZR the mileage is only stored in the instrument cluster, but that's no guarantee that the ZS is the same.

KevG
04-11-11, 12:25 PM
The ZS doesn't have it stored on the ECU, it is held on the actual instrument pack, unlike the the R75/ZT where it holds the info in 2 places the instrument pack and the LCU (Light Control Unit)

pheelay
04-11-11, 12:30 PM
Cheers for the replies.

So that means if swap instrument panels, the mileage will read that of the doner car. Any idea what controls if the odometer displays miles or km?

I have 2 Zeds, one in mph the other in kph. As it happens, they both have an almost identical reading (35000 miles and 58000 km) and I was planning to swap the panels :smart:

KevG
04-11-11, 12:31 PM
My plan is to change the panel from mph into kph. Next question is how can the odometre reading be changed from miles to km?

You will need a left hand drive instrument pack, and get pack programmed with the appropriate mileage converted to kilometres.

pheelay
04-11-11, 12:50 PM
Ahh, I think I should be sorted then. The doner pack is already kph/km (car is originally from Ireland).
If all the programming is in the panel itself, I'll wait til the mileage is the identical and swap them over :)