PDA

View Full Version : need some interior photos...

chris106
09-11-11, 12:28 PM
planning an audio install
does anyone know how easy it is to remove the a pillars?
most important does anyone have any pics of the center console stripped? want to see how much room there is for a small jl 6w3v3-4 sub or maybe even the 8 but cba stripping it yet lol

any pics or help would be good

cheers chris

Enright
09-11-11, 01:02 PM
Pardon? What do you mean by "remove the a pillars"?
I guess you must just mean the interior trim, because if you cut out the A pillars then in theory the entire car could fold in half!
In which case it just unclips - start by pulling each one towards the centre of the car at about their mid point and they should just come off.
Can be helped by pulling off the door seals where they touch the trim.

chris106
09-11-11, 02:07 PM
hahahaha yeah just the trim! for some tweeter builds... cheers thought they might but was unsure where it meets the dash

pheelay
09-11-11, 02:12 PM
Hi Chris,
I have the centre console stipped on a Mk2 at the moment so might be able to get some pics. The only problem is it's very dark where the car is parked. Are you talking about behind the radio, heating controls etc? It's quite tight in there so I don't think you could get a small sub in there. Further back, I reckon the lower vents for the heater will be in the way.

p.s. doing an audio install myself a.t.m. too. I'm going for the more traditional approach..Amps and sub in the boot.

chris106
09-11-11, 02:25 PM
its going to be a sq setup so don't want massive bass anymore... so will be a 6 or 8inch sub.
was thinking the passenger side the area next to where the clutch footrest is if it was mirrored over if that makes sense, first idea was 2 6inch subs back to back firing at your feet, so just need pics either side of the center i just want to see what the frame looks like underneath to see where i can fit things or what to cut away to make things fit, will be fibreglassed so will end up neat
cheers tho any pics will be good!

zsserbia
09-11-11, 02:28 PM
Why on earth would you put a sub in the center console? You wanna shake the hell out of dash? not very convenient imho, plus without proper enclosure/volume and bass reflex it would sound like crap, dash squeaking and shaking would be much louder... Why not putting a bigger one in the boot?

chris106
09-11-11, 03:14 PM
would obv make it solid... just want to try something diff, dont really want a big sub anymore, would be rattle proofing it with some/alot of silentcoat multilayer

Zippy Saloon
09-11-11, 03:41 PM
In process of fitting mk II dash (console is still MkI)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/022-1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Gary_6315/011-1.jpg

Theres not a lot of room behind there as theres the alarm ecu and a pretty big metal frame / cage affair.

chris106
09-11-11, 03:54 PM
cheers great help and perfect angle!!! well i only need 0.61 cu. ft. at most so should be plenty...

Zippy Saloon
09-11-11, 03:59 PM
That metal cage in top pic (in front of gearlever) supports the dash but you could maybe mod it or make up something different.

talkingcars
09-11-11, 08:09 PM
Rolls Royce were putting subs under the dash 30 yrs ago!

Enright
09-11-11, 09:11 PM
Now they just put them in the sea!

chris106
10-11-11, 05:28 AM
yeah ive seen plenty of installs with subs up front replacing the glove box, just making up some ideas atm

Maxxed_Ross
10-11-11, 07:41 AM
The centre console in notoriously tight on the ZS. When I fitted a DVD head unit to mine I had to cut out loads of material from the back of the dash just to accomodate the extra cables!

Smokey
10-11-11, 08:08 AM
Once I get my car back I will be able to enjoy the awkward moment of trying to cram my pc buiild in!

chris106
10-11-11, 10:32 AM
its all fun trying to fit things in lol but im not fitting the sub in the face of the center console if thats what your thinking? it will be going behind, by the passengers right foot and poss drivers left depending on which i go for...

Smokey
10-11-11, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I figured, just another example of the tight space.