PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Offshore?

KirkJames
12-11-11, 06:17 PM
As title, is anybody working offshore on here? If so, I am looking to get out there myself.
I have both my medical and survival (including cold water). So any help would be appreciated!
:yes:

Alan.F
12-11-11, 07:00 PM
Maxxed Ross works on the rigs m8 give him a PM

KirkJames
12-11-11, 07:13 PM
Maxxed Ross works on the rigs m8 give him a PM

Cheers buddy, will do!

carmadbaker
12-11-11, 08:12 PM
Yeah man, im an off-shore wind turbine technician, what do u wanna know? Ross is old hat so he will be more use i fear!!

KirkJames
12-11-11, 09:30 PM
I want to get away from the work I am doing due to lack of career prospects etc. Just trying all avenues to get offshore as it seems to be who you know rather than what you know. I am ex military so no stranger to discipline and hard work and working away for long periods.
Just need a helping hand really :)

carmadbaker
12-11-11, 09:55 PM
Shame your not local to kent really mate, got 35 new off-shore tech jobs appearing next week. Its called the London Array pal.
Its certainly VERY interesting and you cant go wrong in the power industry pal, more money in that industry than you can imagine

vanishing days
12-11-11, 10:15 PM
sounds intersting

Maxxed_Ross
13-11-11, 04:52 AM
I constantly get people asking me how to get offshore... and to be honest I totally hate it. I've been looking for a job onshore for well over 2 years now

It's not the same out here as it used to be and the workforce is getting cut more and more each year so if you survive the cull you have to do twice the amount of work each time.

I'm looking into getting into the wind turbine gig myself, as the conditions are far better than on the rigs and you get more regular time at home. If I were you I'd try that beofre anything else.

carmadbaker
13-11-11, 05:59 AM
keep your eyes on a company called Dong Energy mate, there is a HUGE wind farm being built up scotland in coming years... rumoured to have 2,000 turbines!! :yikes:
sorry to hear about your rig troubles pal.

KirkJames
13-11-11, 07:20 AM
Shame your not local to kent really mate, got 35 new off-shore tech jobs appearing next week. Its called the London Array pal.
Its certainly VERY interesting and you cant go wrong in the power industry pal, more money in that industry than you can imagine
Have you got any details about that bud. I was only thinking offshore due to living in Great Yarmouth, but I would be prepared to move. Plus I will be closer to some of you if I'm down there and will be able to get to a few more meets :punk:

KirkJames
13-11-11, 07:20 AM
I constantly get people asking me how to get offshore... and to be honest I totally hate it. I've been looking for a job onshore for well over 2 years now

It's not the same out here as it used to be and the workforce is getting cut more and more each year so if you survive the cull you have to do twice the amount of work each time.

I'm looking into getting into the wind turbine gig myself, as the conditions are far better than on the rigs and you get more regular time at home. If I were you I'd try that beofre anything else.

No worries mate, I thought as much. Thanks for replying ;)

LozMachine
13-11-11, 08:43 AM
Hmmm wind turbines.....the biggest scam ever bestowed on planet earth..:cry:

KirkJames
13-11-11, 09:21 AM
Hmmm wind turbines.....the biggest scam ever bestowed on planet earth..:cry:
Why's that? Apart from being an eyesore, as I can see them everyday out me window ;)

LozMachine
13-11-11, 09:37 AM
Why's that? Apart from being an eyesore, as I can see them everyday out me window ;)

Yeah sorry, what i meant was they're part of the biggest scam bestowed on planet earth which is the utter bollox that is global warming, the biggest cash cow ever created by mankind.......

Maxxed_Ross
13-11-11, 10:22 AM
MikeB just started a job with Siemens fitting turbines, I think he is going to have something to do with that project off the coast of Scotland eventually

carmadbaker
13-11-11, 02:12 PM
Yeah sorry, what i meant was they're part of the biggest scam bestowed on planet earth which is the utter bollox that is global warming, the biggest cash cow ever created by mankind.......

dont tell me... your one of the people that think we just fill them up with diesel and drive the turbines round with a big diesel engine? ;) :medieval:
ha ha only joking mate, to be honest... i couldn't agree more :) lol they are expensive and far from productive electrical wise. pretty much useless to be fair... plus wind energy is far more expensive than other forms....near on £100Mw... :blink: nearly 3 times more than fossil fuels...
But if given the choice you would rather a big dirty stinking coal/oil fired plant than a clean expensive wind farm??? know which i would rather!

Plus... they pay AWESOME :laugh:

carmadbaker
13-11-11, 02:14 PM
Have you got any details about that bud. I was only thinking offshore due to living in Great Yarmouth, but I would be prepared to move. Plus I will be closer to some of you if I'm down there and will be able to get to a few more meets :punk:

no worries mate,
The jobs are going up next week so as soon as the appear i'll link up this thread for u :)

KirkJames
13-11-11, 04:23 PM
Cheers mate, worth a try ;)