PDA

View Full Version : Tramlining

KirkJames
13-11-11, 08:20 AM
Anyone had this with Falken ZE912's??
I put the ones on the back on the front as they are new as the ones on the front were budgets but found that the car now wants to follow every line in the road.
Also just to show you how bad the budgets are........I got the tail out on the way to work round a small roundabout :ohmy::ohmy:

Boot Hill Bandit
13-11-11, 10:02 AM
Anyone had this with Falken ZE912's??
I put the ones on the back on the front as they are new as the ones on the front were budgets but found that the car now wants to follow every line in the road.
Also just to show you how bad the budgets are........I got the tail out on the way to work round a small roundabout :ohmy::ohmy:

I'm finding most mornings are quite cold now and the tarmac has a sheen to it this is probably frosty tarmac........

You have put grippy fronts on and budgets that are past their best on the back you will find it easy to provoke oversteer that you are describing.

Have you checked tyre pressures? Are you using the same sized tyres on both axles?

I found that using mk1 straights and then swapping to mk2 11 spokes increased the tramming effect as the offset is greater jumping up from a 7J rim to 7.5J size.

If I were you as a matter of elimination I would go and have all 4 wheels balanced/checked and your car properly 4 wheel laser aligned.

Boot Hill Bandit
13-11-11, 10:07 AM
To add.............personal opinion...........don't be fooled in straying from the 205 45 R17 set up........the manufacturers decided on this after much R&D, not following their guidelines creates problems.

I think your choice of new tyre is good tbh. What are the budgets you have?

KirkJames
13-11-11, 10:20 AM
To add.............personal opinion...........don't be fooled in straying from the 205 45 R17 set up........the manufacturers decided on this after much R&D, not following their guidelines creates problems.

I think your choice of new tyre is good tbh. What are the budgets you have?

All sizes and pressures are right but the budgets are Accelera Alpha's and they are 5hite, really really 5hite. Quite a bit of tread left and in the wet they are just lethal, I can wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!!!!

Going to put the Falkens on the rear tho as a few people have told me the good ones need to be on the rear as it's lighter and more prone to losing control with 5hitty tyres on the back!
Here's the reviews, some of the worst I have read. You see what I mean about the wet conditions!
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Accelera/Alpha.htm

S7000EY
13-11-11, 11:09 AM
tbh mate i would always have the better tyres on the front as i would always prefer the back end to step out a little in a corner that having understeer and less grip for braking

Boot Hill Bandit
13-11-11, 01:56 PM
All sizes and pressures are right but the budgets are Accelera Alpha's and they are 5hite, really really 5hite. Quite a bit of tread left and in the wet they are just lethal, I can wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!!!!

Going to put the Falkens on the rear tho as a few people have told me the good ones need to be on the rear as it's lighter and more prone to losing control with 5hitty tyres on the back!
Here's the reviews, some of the worst I have read. You see what I mean about the wet conditions!
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Accelera/Alpha.htm

Odd in that these tyres are on the rear axle of my Vectra B :blink: not had any problems yet.........through fast cornering the rear seems okay. Not planted, not loose, but follow the front nicely. Probably not a good idea to lift off the gas mid corner then :chop:

daytona365
13-11-11, 02:10 PM
According to MIRA tests, the new ones should go on the back. As you cant tell when they step out so you want more grip at the back. I know I did one of the tests they gave.............

KirkJames
13-11-11, 04:26 PM
I will swap them back as there was no warning, it was all fine then all of a sudden I was nearly in my own boot!!! :)

Quadcam24
13-11-11, 08:27 PM
understeer is safer so budgets on the front.
better still ditch them ,lol

C13URD
14-11-11, 06:29 AM
If you can afford it ditch the budgets sharpish...
i had budgets once on a BMW i had, one cold frosty morning @ about 05:30 the whole car just slid across the road & i was only going slow damaged the front suspension & crippled the car................had to claim.

I have never bought budgets since & never will... they a are ditch finders.
i always go for midrange now like falkens Kumho Avon etc....

Drive carefull buddy................

KirkJames
14-11-11, 12:00 PM
If you can afford it ditch the budgets sharpish...
i had budgets once on a BMW i had, one cold frosty morning @ about 05:30 the whole car just slid across the road & i was only going slow damaged the front suspension & crippled the car................had to claim.

I have never bought budgets since & never will... they a are ditch finders.
i always go for midrange now like falkens Kumho Avon etc....

Drive carefull buddy................

Cheers mate, will do. I will have to find the money somehow to get some more. The budgets were on the car when I bought it. I never get budgets myself and going by these I never will. I think of myself as a good driver (doesn't everyone lol) and have done a few courses etc and these barstewards are testing me.
I will just take it really easy until I can get some new Falkens to match the other 2.

Thanks for the comments ;) :)