PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell or not?

Maxfly
26-11-11, 10:23 PM
Right, driving through to Elgin the day I just felt like having a change car wise. Have always liked the look of Astra VXR's and quite fancy one of them. Now this just flashed into my head, I have no idea what I could get for mine or how I would cover the rest of the money between what I would get for it and the cost of a VXR. Should I just jump and go for it or is this just a phase that will pass, brought on by useless solicitors and building society's lol. Should I think about other cars of the same ilk, but what?? Detest the focus, Volkswagen are overpriced and overrated, mazdas seem to rust quicker that a 70's lancia these days so just not sure:-/

Stephen
26-11-11, 10:33 PM
Iv had that same feeling.

Dont know how many times iv been on the phone to insurance companies for quotes!.

I really want a 180, I would like an Estate. Iv been looking at Astra estates ( Ross and Susans have me thinking ). Do i get a Civic estate and have a majour project and turn it into a ZS 180 estate?

I know why iv been like this.... Being bored!

Boot Hill Bandit
26-11-11, 10:41 PM
Yep it is boredom. Even myself. My advice is to think long and hard about why you are bored and what can you do to satisfy it? All cars are roughly the same size in and out so don't go changing for that reason. Set yourself projects may help?

ZS
26-11-11, 10:49 PM
i sold my 180 as i thought a 75 diesel tourer would be cheaper, more practical and more reliable... how wrong was i?!? i still wish I'd kept the 180....

Ritchy
27-11-11, 08:37 AM
dont like vauxhalls from a mechanics point o view

Dan1971
27-11-11, 08:58 AM
From experience mate - tough it out until you know for sure.

Nothing wrong with taking a few out for a drive to see if you do like them. Trouble is that - for me anyway - once the seed of doubt is planted - the car's on it's way......

Smokey
27-11-11, 09:06 AM
Ive never really had any doubts. I love the MG marque. But then work has put me off owning a focus/astra as they just don't feel special.

peterzs
27-11-11, 09:26 AM
Dont do it, just the change of your life style at the moment.

Relax, chill for a bit, take the 180 for a spin up the mountains and all thoughts of a (what was it ???) a VXR!!! will be washed away.

We know they are giving 180's away at the moment, wait a year and the price will start coming back up. Future classics or just great driving cars.

Think the car deserves a good wash and polish for your horrid thoughts.

:devil::devil:

Bobdope2002
27-11-11, 09:50 AM
I can see where ya coming from buddy I've had enough of mine and I desperately want a change.... but for the price it costs to run mine its just not worth changing...this month I put the grand total of £0 worth of fuel in mine

My oppinion is if you can afford change do it if not don't bother

caled
27-11-11, 11:05 AM
Hopefully you've slept that daft idea off.

Mr ZS180
27-11-11, 12:52 PM
dont like vauxhalls from a mechanics point o view

Everyone I know that has had Astras or Corsas have had to have major work done on them even with very low mileage. I know 2 people that had Corsas that needed gearboxes replacing less than 30k miles. Inlet manifold needed replacing on my brothers Astra and IIRC it made the 180's Inlet look cheap compared to that!! I wouldn't touch a Vauxhall!!!

And that 'soft touch' indicator. Absolutely horrible!!!

Bobdope2002
27-11-11, 01:09 PM
Im sold on mine for a little while longer

Been out in the zed for the 1st time properly in over a month part of my journey i decided to around some twisty country lanes within 2 mins a boy racer and his roller painted make up faced GF in his Golf GTI comes flying up behind me about 2 cms of my bumper so i thought mines only a babay and in the straights he muller me but i dropped the box and floored it.....

could he keep up with the zed cud he boot haha was proper fun and i had a massive smile on my face :d

Squeaks
27-11-11, 01:25 PM
such children!!!!

says he whos just been told off by mr plod for drifting the BMW in a empty car park lol

Bobdope2002
27-11-11, 01:31 PM
such children!!!!

says he whos just been told off by mr plod for drifting the BMW in a empty car park lol

i cant help it

it handles like its on rails and i felt like colin mccrae for 5 mins too :bounce:

fordie2
27-11-11, 01:34 PM
You only live once, if thats what you want go for it!!!

Dav
27-11-11, 05:04 PM
I'm always thinking about getting rid, but as soon as I look at it again, I remember why I bought it in the first place. The looks are what drew me to it in the first place. Even today a little boy shouted to his dad and stared at it lol

Best bet IMO would be to start some kind of project with it, it'll be worth it in the end, better than any VXR...

ian zs180
27-11-11, 05:37 PM
Stay away from the vxr mate or if i,m honest any vauxhall there all pants the vxr may be quick in a stright line but you will end up in a field they just dont handle vauxhall have never been good on the chassis side of things. id stick with the zs but if you realy want to change take a look at the leon cupra very nice car they are id also have a look at a focus st but like you said your not that keen on the focus so thats a no no for you i suppose

Quadcam24
27-11-11, 08:46 PM
go drive a vxr , only way is to see for yourself, build quality, equipment, interior, everything are all in another league to a zs ....sorry i love the zs but its dated and looks it now.
Vxr are reliable , i use some vx forums and they report no more problems than the mg forums....and lets remember for every zs out there there are probably 10 vxr's so that says some thing!!
Quicker in a straight line and dont believe all the rubbish handling claims, its not the class leader in handling but they can cover ground quickly.
From a to b the average driver will be comfortably quicker in the vxr.
Best bit is they are so easy to tune, 240 bhp standard , 255 with just a new exhaust, 280 with a re map and 320 lb ft which makes them a proper quick car.
The zs 180 can punch above its weight and value for money its hard to beat, but if you can afford it, then you cant be blamed for admiring newer, better, more powerfull cars .......tbh 177 bhp these days is not even enough to take it seriously!

KevG
27-11-11, 10:11 PM
Dude, they are a hell of lot better cars out there than an Astra VXR!, ever since I bought my ZS, I have always yearned after a Focus ST, and now a New Focus RS (Not everybody taste, just mine!), but funds dont allow and the trade in value for the ZS is pitiful so therefore it is a no go area until the ZS dies then and only until then I will see about getting a more powerful/modern car.

Just my 2p worth.

go drive a vxr , only way is to see for yourself, build quality, equipment, interior, everything are all in another league to a zs ....sorry i love the zs but its dated and looks it now.
Vxr are reliable , i use some vx forums and they report no more problems than the mg forums....and lets remember for every zs out there there are probably 10 vxr's so that says some thing!!
Quicker in a straight line and dont believe all the rubbish handling claims, its not the class leader in handling but they can cover ground quickly.
From a to b the average driver will be comfortably quicker in the vxr.
Best bit is they are so easy to tune, 240 bhp standard , 255 with just a new exhaust, 280 with a re map and 320 lb ft which makes them a proper quick car.
The zs 180 can punch above its weight and value for money its hard to beat, but if you can afford it, then you cant be blamed for admiring newer, better, more powerfull cars .......tbh 177 bhp these days is not even enough to take it seriously!

I have had 2 Vauxhall Astra's recently 1 being a Mk3 and 1 a Mk5 Hatch, but now have Mk5 Sportshatch, and to be very honest the build quality is not as good as people make out and panel fit etc is good, but an overall view the cars are good, but as I said before better cars than Vauxhalls out there.............

Ritchy
27-11-11, 10:15 PM
is it more you dont like this new zs as much as your old black one?

Maxfly
27-11-11, 10:53 PM
is it more you dont like this new zs as much as your old black one?

Tbh I think that is the nail on the head, it is better in some ways but there is niggly bits that keep buggin me. I have decided to get her booked in for a look over to sort this missfire problem as have no inclination to investigate it myself. If the fix doesn't **** me off too much I will get a new set of wheels with decent tyres, which, I think could sort a lot of what is bugging me tbh. Would just be a set of standard wheels.....but round ones this time lol

Aye Kev I do know what you mean about the quality of Astra, there are 3 sport hatches in my immediate family and the quality really is not a great deal better than the ZS tbh, but that doesn't bother me and I do like cars that have an aggressive look like the VXR. Sorry but fuckus really does leave me cold, though the Volvo lump and handling would be guid the rest leaves me stone cold.
An then if I did get rid, could I live without that V6 playing sweet music, hmm really think that would be missed.

I think I will persevere with it, sort missfire and get new wheels an tyres, I think I cannot enjoy driving it as much the now, it's just so twitchy and the vibration from the wheels irks me somewhat too.
Anyone seen any round mg 11 spokes selling at a decent price at all? Part ex wheels on eBay but the don't take wheels that are buckled so figure keep these ones an when finance allows put on winter tyres, they deal with the cold and pot holed roads while good set have normal tyres an come out in better climes? Sounds an ok plan to me:)

Do like Leon's, only driven a k1 Cupra and it was nice and drove well, maybe a tad to insulated a drive but I love the look of them. Cheers for the ideas a'body, think once I can wash it And clean it that will stop me feeling pissed off too lol

Ritchy
27-11-11, 10:58 PM
tbh was pissed with mine till i got the respray done, phone roverbreakers peterborough, they had them in stock when i needed them before

Leigh_EvoIX
27-11-11, 11:21 PM
Do it! Evo FTW!

KevG
27-11-11, 11:28 PM
Oh dear a SEAT LEON Cupra, a very insulated drive Gary, it is a Golf after all, horrible car to to drive, I test drove a Cupra R prior to lumping with the ZS, I hated it dull and light was the words at the time, although the car had decent brakes, hmmm Brembos.....

KevG
27-11-11, 11:31 PM
Do it! Evo FTW!

Nah Leigh, Evo's and Scobbies are both very fast and tunable cars but are so IMO uncool.

Ritchy
27-11-11, 11:42 PM
i like evos and scoobs, but couldnt justify one atm, tbh there is very little on the market at the moment i like, i like the focus rs and st, and i like both the mazda mps's, and thats about it

Leigh_EvoIX
28-11-11, 12:45 AM
Nah Leigh, Evo's and Scobbies are both very fast and tunable cars but are so IMO uncool.

Cool is such an uncool word ;)

i like evos and scoobs, but couldnt justify one atm, tbh there is very little on the market at the moment i like, i like the focus rs and st, and i like both the mazda mps's, and thats about it

Its hard to justify but you seem to be able to make excuses to yourself. A bit like an alcoholic would i suppose.. Lol..

Maxfly
28-11-11, 05:26 AM
Do it! Evo FTW!

Wouldna mind an Evo, but running cost wise it just isnt an option I'm afraid :)

Oh dear a SEAT LEON Cupra, a very insulated drive Gary, it is a Golf after all, horrible car to to drive, I test drove a Cupra R prior to lumping with the ZS, I hated it dull and light was the words at the time, although the car had decent brakes, hmmm Brembos.....

Have to agree bud, probably why I like the Astra which has the rough edge i like in cars, plus VAG are just too overated tbh, nowhere near as reliable as daz germans would like you to think, expensive and too insular as said, Golf nice but too staid looks wise, Leon got the looks, Octavia, Fabia no too bad but lack the zing factor lol :D

The Mazda is one that does appeal but the corrosion issues that recent Mazdas seem to have really put me off. Possibly been sorted by now but have seen many 05 & 06 Mazdas with bodywork corrosion round arches etc that says the finish is not up to scratch. Have to say really suprised me, seen two at Tescos on Friday and was going to take a photie of the worst one till i noticed the owner sitting in it lol:D As you said there is little on the market that appeals the now :/

stamford
28-11-11, 07:42 AM
If you feel the need do it, then in about a years time you might be back ;) If you are not feeling 'one' with the latest zed then it's no real loss if you change. You can always come back later and pick up a good one. At times I have felt like a change but there is little out there in the budget to do a deal so i'll stick with the devil you know, besides I would regret selling mine when push came to shove.

No harm in test drives and getting a feel, crunchtime is when you start talking numbers and the trader starts running the rule over yours (if p/exing)

Boot Hill Bandit
28-11-11, 08:00 AM
If you feel the need do it, then in about a years time you might be back ;) If you are not feeling 'one' with the latest zed then it's no real loss if you change. You can always come back later and pick up a good one. At times I have felt like a change but there is little out there in the budget to do a deal so i'll stick with the devil you know, besides I would regret selling mine when push came to shove.

No harm in test drives and getting a feel, crunchtime is when you start talking numbers and the trader starts running the rule over yours (if p/exing)

Spot on Mick. Stick with it and get the niggles fixed. I should have done exactly that instead of playing musical chairs.

Maxfly
29-11-11, 11:02 PM
So have decided to stick with her and get the niggles fixed, booked in for diagnostics a week thurs to see what's causing this missfire. Secondly have just bought another set of wheels from Clive, this is the one thing I reckon willard the biggest change for me as right now I do not enjoy driving it at all and I reckon my buckled wheels play a part but the infinity tyres totally ruin it. Tbh it feels unsafe, twitchy, shakey, squirmy and no grip whatsoever as soon as a bit of rain makes and appearance! I will keep my old wheels and fit winter tyres when I have spare cash for the bad weather times. I am sure at somepoint I will refurb the wheels I got from Clive but they look pretty damnt good though a different colour would be chosen for that set, nice contrast for the seasons.
This means I will have to get round to fitting my reversing sensors that have been stuck in my locker since June and also lower her with springs I got from Leigh in June or July too lol. Cannot wait for the wheels to arrive so I can go for a good drive and hopefully feel the love again:) cheers a'body for the advice and suggestions, all brilliant tbh and honest:)

C13URD
29-11-11, 11:09 PM
Nice one... glad i could be of some help.. this forum is the best i think everybody always has wise word's & honest answers..

ive had many cars & always come back to a ZS, on my fifth now.. just love the way they drive be it a 110, 120, 180 or derv they all are a pleasure to rip up the road, big grin factor.. really hope the wheels make yr car feel alot better.... :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Maxfly
05-12-11, 03:17 PM
thanks to clive my replacement wheels arrived at my work today, though it never takes the work eejit long to amuse himself lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/Maxfly/42c2d6a5.jpg

stamford
05-12-11, 03:18 PM
:laugh: nice one!

Bobdope2002
05-12-11, 03:41 PM
thanks to clive my replacement wheels arrived at my work today, though it never takes the work eejit long to amuse himself lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/Maxfly/42c2d6a5.jpg

haha quality

Maxfly
13-12-11, 07:46 PM
Fitted the wheels yesterday and you would not believe the difference they have made, the car grips, steering has proper feedback not the inane dribblings of a basket case it had with the old ones on. Also no longer do i feel like I am driving on 50p pieces:D Far far happier already, also regapped my sparkies and bit early to tell but waiting to see if eml reappears soon. Think I will fire on the new disks I have sitting in my mates shed and rid of mair vibrationey goodness:)

Ritchy
13-12-11, 07:48 PM
wooohoooo

C13URD
13-12-11, 08:26 PM
Fitted the wheels yesterday and you would not believe the difference they have made, the car grips, steering has proper feedback not the inane dribblings of a basket case it had with the old ones on. Also no longer do i feel like I am driving on 50p pieces:D Far far happier already, also regapped my sparkies and bit early to tell but waiting to see if eml reappears soon. Think I will fire on the new disks I have sitting in my mates shed and rid of mair vibrationey goodness:)

Gary thats wicked..........:mml::mml::mml:... result.. :mbounce:

JIMZS180
14-12-11, 08:17 PM
Spot on Mick. Stick with it and get the niggles fixed. I should have done exactly that instead of playing musical chairs.

Ditto.......been there.....done that and back again....and again.....

Leigh_EvoIX
14-12-11, 11:24 PM
Good news pal!! Now get those springs on!!

Leigh_EvoIX
14-12-11, 11:30 PM
Haha... Come to think of it those wheels were mine once...lol

Maxfly
15-12-11, 11:21 AM
Haha... Come to think of it those wheels were mine once...lol

Really lol, got ur springs and wheels:D will b gettin the springs on shortly, tucked in the back of my mates shed but will get em dug out an fitted soon now I reckon:)

Maxfly
15-03-12, 07:34 PM
Got the aircon working again today, only 9 months since the garage burst it lol. Nice to have cool air again, still not fitted springs yet though really need to get that done and find out what the wee knocking is:)

*edit* garage that burst pipe for aircon fitted the second hand part I got from Chris, my wording makes it look like I did it myself haha

andys1981
15-03-12, 07:39 PM
glad it sorted mate,get the springs etc done aswell!

starfire039
16-03-12, 02:52 PM
The ZS seems to be the owner in most car-driver relationships, not the other way around it seems....