PDA

View Full Version : Oil warning light on bike

Jay-ZS+
30-11-11, 05:03 PM
Had my wrist out of the cast a few weeks ago and decided to sort the bike out as had a flat battery where it had been sat for best part of two months.

Also had a load of little finishing off jobs to do on it. Anyway got all these done and went to take it out and had an oil light flash up.

I changed the oil as there was a chance fuel had got in to it due to the carbs leaking so theres plenty of oil in there.

I took the sump off and cleaned the funnel for the oil pick up as there was some crud in there which cant have helped. Also tested the pressure switch incase it had decided to fail and that seems fine. The pickup was fitted properly as well and apparently its almost unheard of for the oil pumps on them to fail as they are chain driven.

Im now wondering if one of the passage ways could be blocked for some reason. Have heard f newly rebuild engines developing blockages from use of silicone gaskets. Only thing I used in the engine when rebuilding it was a mixture of grease and engine oil when refitting the valve train.

When I prime the system by turning the engine over with out spark the light goes out, if its then fired up the light will come on again after 20s or so.

I guessing the oil is getting up to the heads and then is taking too long to get back to the sump to be pumped back round triggering the light.

Really dont fancy stripping it all down again wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Im gonna get a new filter as changed it during the rebuild but had the carbs leak fuel since then so wonder if that could be part of the problem.

Or wondered if anyone knew of a decent flush that may help.

Mikeyb85
01-12-11, 07:46 PM
does it only do this at idle ?

i had this but when i revved the engine it went out...

peterzs
01-12-11, 08:10 PM
Think I would bung in a new pressure switch, know you said it looks OK but..........

Is there a oil pressure by pass valve on a bike?? Think it was the mini that you had to stretch the spring to stop it cutting in too early.

Right grade oil??

As you can tell Jay, dont know anything about bike engines, just what I would do on a car.

Hope its a easy fix.

:wizard::wizard:

Jay-ZS+
01-12-11, 08:15 PM
Happens both at idle and when I rev it.

Yer got silkolene 10w40 in it its on its 3rd oil change since the rebuild already, thankfully it only takes 2.5l

Think I will stick a new sensor on it, although at £45 a go they aint cheap!! lol