PDA

View Full Version : parking sensors

drroberts490
07-12-11, 08:07 PM
Hi guys,
anyone know if these are plug and play?
Take it you just need the sensors and clips, wiring and control box?
I have a late MK1 180
cheers

KevG
07-12-11, 08:12 PM
Hi guys,
anyone know if these are plug and play?
Take it you just need the sensors and clips, wiring and control box?
I have a late MK1 180
cheers

The Mk2 ZS was just plug'n'play, dont know about the Mk1 though, may need a plug in to a T4 diagnostics machine.

Enright
07-12-11, 08:35 PM
I've repaired 2 Mk2 ZS/R45 systems, and installed a fairly late Mk1 ZR system from scratch, and they were all exactly the same. I doubt a Mk1 ZS system would be any different, if that helps.

Steves Cleenz
07-12-11, 09:15 PM
the wires are there, well they are in my 2002 MK1

drroberts490
07-12-11, 10:10 PM
cheers guys, mine is a 2004 mk1, where do i need to look for the wiring?

Steves Cleenz
07-12-11, 11:06 PM
if you open the boot and look behind the left carpet (passenger side) behind the lights you will see a few wires going to a IIRC a white connector, and it all clips into that, very easy

drroberts490
08-12-11, 02:24 PM
Ok had a look today, couldn't see a white connector but there is a black four pin plug connected to 4 wires coming off wiring loom close to rear left light, any ideas? could this be the one or is this for something else?

Steves Cleenz
08-12-11, 02:29 PM
thats the one

Maxxed_Ross
08-12-11, 04:56 PM
or buy one of the £7 kits off ebay and wire it into the reversing light. That's what I've done on both my old van and the girlfriends Astra. They're fantastic kit for the price and even come with the right size hole saw!

Dav
08-12-11, 05:00 PM
or buy one of the £7 kits off ebay and wire it into the reversing light. That's what I've done on both my old van and the girlfriends Astra. They're fantastic kit for the price and even come with the right size hole saw!

Can these be painted?

And could they be fitted to the front? I mean I know they can, but would they need a switch or do they only beep when you are close to something?

Smokey
08-12-11, 05:52 PM
I'm doing this but I bought the one with the distance monitor and have desoldered the buzzer so it only gives visual warning.

Maxxed_Ross
09-12-11, 05:43 AM
yeah you can paint them any colour you want.

I suppose you could put them in front on a switch. You power them through the reversing light so that they only come on when the reversing light is on... but I'm planning on fitting a kit to the back of my new Defender on a switch

The cheaper kits that I have fitted only have a buzzer (couldn't think where I could put the visual display so it would could be seen but be out of the way) that beeps depending on how close you are to the thing behind you. I think it works from about 2m so sometimes it starts off totally quiet

Dav
09-12-11, 08:14 AM
I assume the paint doesn't affect them working then? Defo one to look at, front and rear

Enright
09-12-11, 08:36 AM
No it doesn't. If they're working properly you can hear them clicking when you put your ear next to them. It's got to be a seriously thick coating of paint to stifle that! :D

Dav
09-12-11, 08:47 AM
That's cool, I didn't know if paint did anything. Looks like a mod for the new year then :) along with HIDs and heated seats if I can find the parts cheap

Enright
09-12-11, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the OEM sensors look a bit big and clunky (next to, for example a new Audi) but they work nicely as long as your stereo volume isn't cranked up too much!

Would receommend the heated seats - pretty easy as the wiring is all there already.
Just fit a switch and a relay for each, peel back the seat covers to put the elements in and you're good to go. The time-consuming/hardest bit is getting the seats out, apart, back together and back in again. Worth it though, and eliminates 2 glaring poverty spec switch blanks!

Wouldn't recommend HID's as you'll never pass an MoT test with them when the new regs are introduced. Unless you don't mind doing the hokey-cokey with them every year at MoT time... :D

Dav
09-12-11, 09:16 AM
Yea that wouldn't bother me too much, coz I personally think the original lights are a bit poo lol

MG 53 ZED
09-12-11, 03:45 PM
:smile1:
Heated seats highly recommend them, great in this cold wheather. As Enright said they are easy to do just time consuming taking the seats off then taking the covers off and adding the heated elements, end result well worth it.
I will be adding oem reverse parking sensor set up once i get my conversion under way.

Dav i have a spare oem parking aid speaker going if you want it?.

Dav
09-12-11, 04:15 PM
Thanks, but I'll probs get the eBay jobbies.

Out of interest, is it just me you and Yampie from Southampton?

MG 53 ZED
10-12-11, 05:28 AM
Thanks, but I'll probs get the eBay jobbies.

Out of interest, is it just me you and Yampie from Southampton?

I have a set of ebay jobbies on my ZS at mo, have to say not impressed hence going down the oem route when i do my conversion. You me Yampie and Taphouse don't think there is anybody else from Southampton on the forum.

Maxxed_Ross
10-12-11, 05:35 AM
what are you not impressed with? I'm on my 3rd set (on a third car, not because the first and second sets broke lol) and really like them. They do exactly what you need them to for the price

MG 53 ZED
10-12-11, 04:00 PM
what are you not impressed with? I'm on my 3rd set (on a third car, not because the first and second sets broke lol) and really like them. They do exactly what you need them to for the price

They worked great for awhile, then started to work almost every other day and now they hardly ever work. They have only been on the car for about 14mths, so as i am going down the mk2 route on my mk1 i sourced a full oem kit for the new bumper.

drroberts490
10-12-11, 04:27 PM
I have just got a set from a nice chap over on .org, need respraying but hopefully get them fitted by xmas, does anyone know what size circular saw thingy i need?

Maxxed_Ross
10-12-11, 05:15 PM
They worked great for awhile, then started to work almost every other day and now they hardly ever work. They have only been on the car for about 14mths, so as i am going down the mk2 route on my mk1 i sourced a full oem kit for the new bumper.

dodgy connector? The set I fitted to the other halfs Astra is still going strong nearly 2 years after they were fitted