PDA

View Full Version : Do OR Don't

welshone
09-12-11, 06:53 PM
Ok you lovely people I need some convincing one way or another.

I've got a bit of cash laying around and i can get hold of some 0% interest cash to put towards it.

I've just come across a lovely Mk2 180 lpg at a good price. I'm looking at it tomorrow :) but i have two slight problems the missus doesn't want me to get another car and i've got nowhere to store my current car. So do i take the risk on hopefully selling my current easily in this Christmas month for a reasonable price & I risk upsetting the misses just before Christmas :hmmm: or do I back down from this great bargain :hmmm:

talkingcars
09-12-11, 06:56 PM
Look at it first and see if it is as good as it seems.

Also consider LPGing your car with the cash you already have.

big_wasa
09-12-11, 07:00 PM
I dont like your chances of selling yours unless its also very cheap.

Boot Hill Bandit
09-12-11, 07:01 PM
No chance selling before Christmas or even quickly at all. Chavs and boy racers may want a bargain 'bang for buck' car but won't want to pay sod all for it.

Think carefully whether you can afford it?? Can you afford to tax, insure and MOT 2 cars? SORN may only be done if you are keeping it off the road......otherwise it needs all the above!

If you can P/X and take a hit on the mk1 for it then that would be best. A loss at the start is better than losing in keeping 2 cars running and roadworthy in my opinion. I found it very hard trying to start afresh once you let tax, MOT and insurance expire because the costs involved in doing it all at once.

If I were you I would be very careful. If you have your heart set on a mk2 and it is as good and reliable as what you have now and you have no where to put your current car you have little choice but to sell or P/X

Good luck in your decision!

Dav
09-12-11, 07:02 PM
Is LPG worth the hassle and cost when you do it? Isn't it better to buy a LPG'd car already? I say give the 180 a look, if it's clean, go for it and buy the mrs something extra nice for Christmas to sweeten her up ;)

Boot Hill Bandit
09-12-11, 07:03 PM
Look at it first and see if it is as good as it seems.

Also consider LPGing your car with the cash you already have.

I am with you on that James! Very true if you plan on keeping your car any length of time too. That I doubt a little though by considering changing cars. Think it through fella :hmmm:

welshone
09-12-11, 07:07 PM
Not liking the responses so far but if I was honest I would say my heart is ruling my head at the moment. Just depends what it's like tomorrow. Might turn out to be a right dog. But if it isn't i'll be very hard pushed to not get it and take the hit on selling my current. After all it is Christmas and i've been good this year :laugh:

big_wasa
09-12-11, 07:12 PM
Despite saying it will be hard to move the mk1 I still voted to get the mk2 as life is to short.

I want a mk2 just because it looks so good.

Dav
09-12-11, 07:12 PM
Are you asking us to convince you INTO buying it or OUT of buying it. If you have to question it, you don't need to do it.

Like my nan used to say, "if you've got to think about it, you don't want it" ;)

welshone
09-12-11, 07:17 PM
Are you asking us to convince you INTO buying it or OUT of buying it. If you have to question it, you don't need to do it.

Like my nan used to say, "if you've got to think about it, you don't want it" ;)

I want a lot of things but do I want the hassle that comes with this so near Christmas :hmmm:

peterzs
09-12-11, 07:25 PM
Go for it, if the cash is there, worry about everything else after Christmas.

:clap::clap::clap::party::party:

welshone
09-12-11, 07:31 PM
Go for it, if the cash is there, worry about everything else after Christmas.

:clap::clap::clap::party::party:

I like your thinking peter :laugh:

daytona365
09-12-11, 07:54 PM
Keep the MK1.........................

MG ZS STE
09-12-11, 08:52 PM
i vote "DO"

talkingcars
09-12-11, 09:16 PM
The pole wasn't there when I posted before, if it was I'd 've asked where the other options were.

Hassle of converting to LPG, drop car off, pick car up a few days later, pay £1100-£1300 ish, start saving 60p/l per refill, what hassle?

Smokey
09-12-11, 09:20 PM
I'd be patient and wait til after christmas. There will still be mk2's available then and an LPG will turn up at some point.

Use that time to save more cash to prevent borrowing money.

Life is short but I waited a year for my first mk2 180 and once I wrote it off and the ex took the insurance money, I had to wait 3 1/2 years to get another mk2 180!

Was it worth the wait. Yes. Did I need to borrow and be stressed. Nope.

Ultimately, you have decided what you want to do. But get the missus on board first, she is more important than any car.

Boot Hill Bandit
09-12-11, 09:25 PM
I'd be patient and wait til after christmas. There will still be mk2's available then and an LPG will turn up at some point.

Use that time to save more cash to prevent borrowing money.

Life is short but I waited a year for my first mk2 180 and once I wrote it off and the ex took the insurance money, I had to wait 3 1/2 years to get another mk2 180!

Was it worth the wait. Yes. Did I need to borrow and be stressed. Nope.

Ultimately, you have decided what you want to do. But get the missus on board first, she is more important than any car.

yep very true wise words there

:smartass:

Squeaks
09-12-11, 11:06 PM
Think I know the one your after, it seems nice but why is it so cheap? could be something hidden, have a good look and then have a think.
I made the mistake with my Mk2 of falling in love before id seen any others, first one i saw and the worst decision of my life. lost me £2k in 8months.
yes you won't loose huge amounts on it, but remember you have a really nice mk1, there are loads off Mk2's out there and they are becoming cheaper, ive found one at £2995 which im very tempted by, but do I want to give up the superior bmw for it? im not sure.
burnt once, not twice,

tread carefully, it may be good it may be bad, only you can make your mind up. :)

talkingcars
10-12-11, 10:36 AM
Is it one of the cars on eBay?

The black one is high mileage and the LPG conversion using a hole in the wing rather than behind number plate filler and a "fill the boot" tank seems expensive.

The gray one looks better but is much more expensive and has a tiny LPG tank, also where's the spoiler?

I still think there is mileage it getting your own car converted.

Bobdope2002
10-12-11, 11:06 AM
Is it one of the cars on eBay?

The black one is high mileage and the LPG conversion using a hole in the wing rather than behind number plate filler and a "fill the boot" tank seems expensive.

The gray one looks better but is much more expensive and has a tiny LPG tank, also where's the spoiler?

I still think there is mileage it getting your own car converted.

mine is a fill the boot type of tank........... makes **** end of a difference to me as the Zs mk2 boot is massive

If the black one is the one im thinking off it has all the crap stuck to it and looks naff but i might be mistaken........

My filler cap for my LPG isnt attached to any of the body work and as rare as the kit is id rather have it where it is now all it takes is some cowboy at the LPG fitting station to **** it up and your FUCKED

welshone
10-12-11, 01:25 PM
Yep it was the black one on ebay with a little bit of the body kit missing and high mileage. Had a good sleep on it last night and decided not to even view it to stop the temptation of me buying it. As a few of you have said they are coming down in price all the time. So will have another look into getting one in a few months as i've only just got my current one through a MOT. Thanks for all the advice and making me think with my head and not my heart :D

Boot Hill Bandit
10-12-11, 07:04 PM
Yep it was the black one on ebay with a little bit of the body kit missing and high mileage. Had a good sleep on it last night and decided not to even view it to stop the temptation of me buying it. As a few of you have said they are coming down in price all the time. So will have another look into getting one in a few months as i've only just got my current one through a MOT. Thanks for all the advice and making me think with my head and not my heart :D

If you want a great black one speak to carmadbaker! with plenty of TLC paid to it regardless it is a lovely one. Mind you that's if he hasn't sold it already..........save your pennies, put your mk1 up for sale now and when someone buys your mk1 you can grab a good one.

Taphouse
11-12-11, 08:28 AM
Good choice! I lost £500 on my mk2 in 6months, and it was mint! Regarding selling your at this time of year, I only had 2 people interested in mine when it was for sale. I am sure you'll grab a bargain in January.

I would say, having owned both mk1 and mk2 in recent months, despite the mk2 being much better looking, the mk1 feels like a much better build quality.

I am sure this don't help you at all! lol

Andy

welshone
11-12-11, 08:46 AM
Good choice! I lost £500 on my mk2 in 6months, and it was mint! Regarding selling your at this time of year, I only had 2 people interested in mine when it was for sale. I am sure you'll grab a bargain in January.

I would say, having owned both mk1 and mk2 in recent months, despite the mk2 being much better looking, the mk1 feels like a much better build quality.

I am sure this don't help you at all! lol

Andy

It was a combination of a number of things which opened my eyes to this one. Which was: it's black :), 180 :), lpg :), nice low price :) & it's newer :). Don't think this combination will come up again very soon. But like I said i've only just put a MOT on mine so i've got a good few months to look :)

tcb 180
11-12-11, 09:22 AM
Nothing is selling at all tbh. I have ceased trading as I have failled to sell a lovely 1.5 dci Nissan Note with 28k on clock since last Feb. So I'm keeping it now. At 60+ mpg who would blame me.