PDA

View Full Version : Things to look out for on a 180

Stev180
31-12-11, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone. Im going to look at a ZS 180 2003 for the second time today. I looked at it yesterday and test drove it but still need to give it a second look. Its a 2 owner car with FSH having covered 42k. What are the key things to look out for? I have a good amount of knowledge on the 180 but need to know more before doing the deal!

Dad has owned a mk1 180 2002 in TY from 2006 to 2007 and that suffered a failed hydraulic clutch and a broken abs reluctor ring (meant the cv joint got replaced) but apart from that it was a good car, only sold it because everyone wanted to race him.

2007 - current he has a mk1 180 2003 in Celestial blue and it had a mere 6k on it when we bought it. Now its up to 36k so still low. Its a beautiful car! This car has seen no faults at all which is amazing but its a credit to him and previous owner.

Both cars have been the saloon. I have driven his which is why i want an upgrade on my Zr 160.

Luckily neither of the Zs's suffer/suffered from the VIS issues and drove spot on. And have had no faults, the usual wear parts got changed etc both cars got a Powerflow cat back as the OE one went early on in both cases.

Ive not been able to post this sooner as my laptop is broken and using the phobe online is akward lol

Look forward to any help you can give!

Happy New Year all!

Supercharged_Z
31-12-11, 10:32 AM
Hey Steve ( i assume)

They really are super cars as you have experienced with your Dad's cars.

There are a couple of weak points, or common issues that can happen usually without warning and usually for no aparent reasons.

Vis Valves - often the soldered joints dry up and you will lose the low down speed of the car, there should be a kick at 3k and another kick at 4.5k as the valves do there thing, sometimes they can be repaired and sometimes replaced.

Inlet plenums - as the above happens sometimes the inlet can pick up a nasty rattle although this is rare.

Clutch hydraulics - the std rover items are not great, personally i hever had a issue but there is a modification called the shedist kit that you can buy, infact a lot of cars seem to have them on now, there around 150 quid i think and take a few hours to fit. this then resolves the problem and gives the pedal much more positive feedback and ease of use.

other tiny niggles, door handles can come lose - easy fix, heater motors can stop working on 1&2 - easy fix, fuel consumption goes to pot as the engine sounds so good at 5k + rpm.... not so easy to fix

To be honest, that is about it so you knew most of the problems already, the engines are bullit proof just check the service history or at least the coolant and oil colours to see.

Good luck and get some piccys up

Ross

peterzs
31-12-11, 10:43 AM
If its FSH check the belts have been done, will be overdue on age if not miles.

Can cost £900+ at dealer prices, or £600 odd on here, but always a good bargaining point.:whistle::whistle:

Best of luck with the car.

:wave:

talkingcars
31-12-11, 12:56 PM
You can get replacment reluctar rings now which saves getting a whole new CV joint.

The sheddist clutch mechanisum is cheaper and better than the OE clutch and a DIY fit.

Check the brakes, especially rear discs, for signs of uneven wear.

And as Peter says, the belts should have been done, cam are due at 6 years and aux at 4 years.

What is the asking price?

Stev180
01-01-12, 05:57 PM
Hey guys thank you for the swift replies came in handy as I read the thread when buying the car (second viewing). Great advice and I have taken it all in. Compared to other cars on the road the ZS potential problems are low then?

Good news is I bought the car yesterday! I will upload pictures as soon as my laptop is fixed! May upload one from my phone though in the mean time. I looked at it for 30mins then test drove it a further 30 mins with a friend (no supervision from the dealer). Im glad the dealer seemed really easy going. Gave it a good blast once the temp gauge reached optimum.

I have no idea whereabouts the vis motors are located in the engine bay a pic would be great. The car seems to pull like a train throughout the gears but I wouldnt say there is a certain kick at 3k or 4.5k? Should it be something extra than the standard pull of the car? Can the motors be tested to see if they are faulty? Im not mechanically minded! I have posted about the car in this thread (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19464).

peterzs
01-01-12, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a good garage, normally they let you have a 5 min drive and thats it.

Have fun.

:):):):)

Stev180
01-01-12, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a good garage, normally they let you have a 5 min drive and thats it.

Have fun.

:):):):)

Exactly what I was thinking lol im 22 so have not had to buy many cars yet but know what you mean. I test drove an £8000 2008 clio sport and the test drive was literally round the block in 30mph zones with the fuel light on lol I almost thought they didnt want to sell it! I did get up to 3rd gear out of 6. It was lighting quick though. Only test drove it to see what they are like.

Cheers I hope so! Will I miss the 160 thats the question? Its not advertisied yet and im holding on to it till im convinced by the ZS lol Owned the ZR 3 years so am a bit attached. Sad I know, as in theory the ZS is in a different league. Have you ever had a simillar problem?

peterzs
01-01-12, 09:13 PM
A lot of my cars were MGB's GT's, rolling restoration, as they say, or rust buckets.

My MG ZS is a derv and the newest car I've owned, replaced a 1990 volvo 440 turbo that I loved.

Now a few tweaks down the line wouldnt replace the ZS, handles well, been round Brands Hatch and you appreciate how well they hang on.

With the 180 on song, I'm sure that it will thrill as much as the ZR, just have to adjust to a bigger and heavier car, but the handling and grunt will soon have you smiling.

:clap::clap::clap: