PDA

View Full Version : I now own a ZS 180!

Stev180
01-01-12, 05:53 PM
Happy New Year all! I picked up my ZS 180 yesterday. After owning a ZR 160 for 3 years covering over 45,000 miles in it I took the plunge and bought the ZS 180. In Aug 11 my job relocated closer to home so im not doing the miles so can afford to run a bigger car. I loved every second in the 160 and hope I get the same feeling from the 180. I am a bit of an MGR nut and have had one since I past my test. Im on most of the MGR forums so you may have seen me post before.

I did a 300 mile round trip to view a 17,000 mile 2003 180 4dr in TB and it was advertisied as a rare opportunity/beautiful example etc and I went with cash and dissapointed was an understement, the passenger side looked like it had been in a war + front passenger door was a different colour. I was really hoping the car was for me but it was not! Had the rare monogram interior pack with the colour coded cappings/steering wheel. The inside was above average condition but not perfect. (should still be on Autotrader)

I then found another ZS 180 a few days later and bought it - pictures to follow. Which is in 10x better condition than the 17k one.

Obvious problems I was aware before buying the car are:
Exhaust needs re-positioning as its not sitting as it should (I think its an OE equivalent with a mild steel 'tip' on it)
Passenger side has 3 common circular dents (But apart from that the car really is pristine - an im very particular about bodywork) so I will get round to getting these pulled by Dent devils/simillar.
'MG' Badges are originals and therefore have seen better days (But im glad they havent been changed to show that the originals have been kept on if that makes sense)
Interior fan not working on 1 + 2 (will get a new heater resistor on ebay and change it) - this will cure it? My bro's BRM had the same problem.
Engine/bay have never ever even been wiped - so I will attack this next weekend.
Its not had the belt(s) changed - how common has it been for the KV6 in the 180 to snap?

Plus points:
Trophy Blue (was this the flagship colour for the ZS?) 2 owners, 42,000 miles, FSH, 2 keys 2 remotes
Body work is near perfect apart from the few passenger side mini dents.
Interior looks like its never been sat in or used even the drivers seat!
Armrest cupholder is present.
Rear headrests
Rear parking sensors (I thought I would hate these but they have already come in handy plus not that much of an eyesore)
Original straights have minimal kerbing which can only mean the last owners have been careful. The colour of the wheels have a become quite flat but I will be swapping them with my ZR straights (Which have 4 new toyo T1rs and had a refurb a few years ago)

Overall it seems a solid fun car and a mighty step up from a ZR 160! But I have noticed one main concern which is total sods law! Overall I test drove the car for an hour over the two days and left it running after to see if the fans kick in etc which they did. I paid the money got the keys etc go to the car and start it, drive it 100 yards behind my friend and suddenly the revs went from idle to 1500 on a cycle of 3 times then the EML came on and the car cut off! I thought typical! Ive committed at this stage to the car re-started it and it was fine! It had been standing about 20 mins from the test drive before I went to drive it home once I paid. It did not do the same thing later in the day so im a bit puzzled. What you guys think?

Looking forward to reading the forums and posting when I can! Thanks.

peterzs
01-01-12, 06:08 PM
They are great cars, go and handle well, sort the niggles out and it will give you years of fun.

:):):):)

talkingcars
01-01-12, 07:01 PM
Nice one - we have a ZS180 (mine) and a ZR160 (Mrs TC) amoungst other cars, the ZS is much more grown up (and a little quicker ;) ).

You could swap the resistor pack from your ZR......
or get one from eBay.

Had the rare monogram interior pack with the colour coded cappings/steering wheel.

Thought these were owner sprayed, not an O/E option.

talkingcars
01-01-12, 07:04 PM
I paid the money got the keys etc go to the car and start it, drive it 100 yards behind my friend and suddenly the revs went from idle to 1500 on a cycle of 3 times then the EML came on and the car cut off! I thought typical! Ive committed at this stage to the car re-started it and it was fine! It had been standing about 20 mins from the test drive before I went to drive it home once I paid. It did not do the same thing later in the day so im a bit puzzled. What you guys think?

Plug in a OBD2 reader and see what codes come up.

Southside_ZS
01-01-12, 08:39 PM

Nope part of Monogram. Came with colour coded door cappings, dash trims, heater dial surround and steering wheel. Same with the ZR

KirkJames
01-01-12, 08:41 PM
Congrats on the car, hope you sort the niggles out. I too need the belts doing on mine, so will be taking it to British Legends in Southend (£550 - including water pump & thermostat).

Whereabouts in Norwich are ya? Will have to keep my eye open for you.

Stev180
01-01-12, 11:10 PM
Nice one - we have a ZS180 (mine) and a ZR160 (Mrs TC) amoungst other cars, the ZS is much more grown up (and a little quicker ;) ).

You could swap the resistor pack from your ZR......
or get one from eBay.

Thats exactly how I saw the ZS and why I went for it, but my second doubts are is it to grown up for me? Im 22 with no kids do I need such a beasty car lol I picked it up yesterday and havent driven it/played with it. I think once I drive it later in the week I will luv it!

If I sell it what would the new owner say! I couldnt do it!

Plug in a OBD2 reader and see what codes come up.

Just typed it into ebay? Many choices, do they all do the same job? Is it simillar to the xpart t4 machine that dealers charge £40 to plug it into!?

Nope part of Monogram. Came with colour coded door cappings, dash trims, heater dial surround and steering wheel. Same with the ZR

Yup your right, strangely the ashtray capping was not colour coded, then I found another zs with the pack and that was the same. MG missed a bit as usual? lol.

Congrats on the car, hope you sort the niggles out. I too need the belts doing on mine, so will be taking it to British Legends in Southend (£550 - including water pump & thermostat).

Whereabouts in Norwich are ya? Will have to keep my eye open for you.

Hi! Cheers, the small easy stuff I can do but its all the future things like VIS/possible shedist kit I would never be able to do! How many miles is your ZS on? That does sound like a good sensible deal :) let me know how you get on. Im just North of the city towards the airport, are you in Norwich alot? Will have to meet at somepoint soon, im glad someone is local to me!

KirkJames
01-01-12, 11:35 PM
Hi mate, I am in the city a little bit. My missus' parents live in North Walsham and I cut through the city on the way to work. I had help fitting my Sheddist and VIS as I wouldn't of been able to do it on my own. I am chasing the fella down who had the car before me as in the service book it has been hand written in that the belts have been done but if I could get a garage name then I could confirm and save some money. If not it will be going in early March time. The car has done 68k now, it did have 58k when I picked it up in June. I have put 10k on her in 6 months lol, need to relocate or change jobs :)

There a a couple of people on here from Norwich area I think, but would be good to meet up for a coffee and a chat. If you need a hand with anything just give me a shout!

Stev180
02-01-12, 12:23 AM
Hi mate, I am in the city a little bit. My missus' parents live in North Walsham and I cut through the city on the way to work. I had help fitting my Sheddist and VIS as I wouldn't of been able to do it on my own. I am chasing the fella down who had the car before me as in the service book it has been hand written in that the belts have been done but if I could get a garage name then I could confirm and save some money. If not it will be going in early March time. The car has done 68k now, it did have 58k when I picked it up in June. I have put 10k on her in 6 months lol, need to relocate or change jobs :)

There a a couple of people on here from Norwich area I think, but would be good to meet up for a coffee and a chat. If you need a hand with anything just give me a shout!

Thanks mate, like wise! The last owner of my car lived in North Walsham! I used to work in North walsham for 9 months and the only TB saloon I kept seeing was a 1.8 120 saloon but with the high spoiler. That car was SD03 something. Would have been weird to see my current car and think 'that will be mine one day' lol Wow thats alot to put on in that space of time, you must be spending a hell of alot on fuel!? How does your car feel now with the vis fixed/sheddist system? Did a garage do the work? Driving since 2006 im still yet to find the garage I can trust :( Im up for that defo.

KirkJames
02-01-12, 01:43 AM
I am always in N.Walsham and the only one I knew of was a guy Called James Raby who lives in Bacton, who is on here I believe.
I spend about £200 maybe a touch more a month on fuel. About £40 more than I used to spend when I had my 2.0 petrol zetec mondeo, so not too bad really. Really likes to cruise at about 65-70. I am not usually in a rush to get to work.
The benefit of the VIS indicator is that I know that they are both working, and the clutch feels a bit easier now and I don't have to worry as much about it going on me. (Well the hydraulic side of things anyway) I think I could benefit with a new clutch as it does judder slightly when pulling away, but still loads of life in it yet!

talkingcars
02-01-12, 06:39 AM
I use a Sangauge2 as an OBD2 scanner, I keep it plugged in so I can use the gauge setting to monitor things like coolant and inlet temp.

Stev180
10-01-12, 09:48 AM
I am always in N.Walsham and the only one I knew of was a guy Called James Raby who lives in Bacton, who is on here I believe.
I spend about £200 maybe a touch more a month on fuel. About £40 more than I used to spend when I had my 2.0 petrol zetec mondeo, so not too bad really. Really likes to cruise at about 65-70. I am not usually in a rush to get to work.
The benefit of the VIS indicator is that I know that they are both working, and the clutch feels a bit easier now and I don't have to worry as much about it going on me. (Well the hydraulic side of things anyway) I think I could benefit with a new clutch as it does judder slightly when pulling away, but still loads of life in it yet!

Sorry for the late reply, just waiting for my blasted laptop to comeback then I can upload pics etc! I drove past James on the ring road sunday! I have seen his car before when I was driving my ZR. Thats not bad considering all the miles your doing. It doesnt feel like im having the VIS issues, having driven the car for over a week now and the clutch seems strong. Will hopefully have my laptop back by the weekend and upload some pics!

I use a Sangauge2 as an OBD2 scanner, I keep it plugged in so I can use the gauge setting to monitor things like coolant and inlet temp.

Good stuff I will keep an eye out on ebay.

vanishing days
10-01-12, 10:53 AM
I also use a scanguage awsum but if kit

MG ZS STE
10-01-12, 12:30 PM
The rubber foot on the bottom of the panel filter was missing on mine which simulated a clutch judder type effect when pulling away. Also check all of your exhaust rubbers are secure. If the exhaust isn't secure when pulling away under load this can also give the sensation of clutch judder. Just a thought.