PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a special tool?

KirkJames
01-01-12, 11:42 PM
As title. Do I need one of those windy tool thingy's for the rear brake pistons on the 180 or can I push it back myself with a clamp or something similar?

Also I want to replace my abs rings and was wondering do I need to get replacement split pins etc or can I re-use the old stuff? I have looked for them new but can't find them!

Many thanks O' wise ones ;)

grimmy
01-01-12, 11:50 PM
They wind back but I didn't need the tool they went back easily.

KirkJames
02-01-12, 12:08 AM
I would think I would be able to wind them back somehow then. Cheers Grimmy!

talkingcars
02-01-12, 06:36 AM
You do need to wind them in,
you can't just compress them.

However I found that the Laser tool that Halfords sell can also be used to "wind" back in the fronts as well, just do it slowly or you burst the seal.

KirkJames
02-01-12, 07:40 AM
You do need to wind them in,
you can't just compress them.

However I found that the Laser tool that Halfords sell can also be used to "wind" back in the fronts as well, just do it slowly or you burst the seal.

I thought it was just the rears that were the issue. I have pushed my front ones back before....oops

rbull51
02-01-12, 09:06 AM
The front ones are just push back. When i did my rear calipers i just used a flat ended tool from the garage, worked a treat!

coreygraham180
02-01-12, 09:23 AM
when i helped smokey with his rear brakes and changing the pads we came up with this problem too and we just got a long srewdriver and used the shaft on it and put it in the slot on the piston and managed to move it back that way

talkingcars
02-01-12, 09:23 AM
The front ones are push back, however if they are stiff it can be quite hard to do this.

Using the Laser wind back tool and an old pad makes it much easier.

However you should open the bleed valve as the piston is ment to be 1 way. Using the wind back tool too quickly causes the seal on the piston to split if the bleed valve is closed.

KirkJames
02-01-12, 06:47 PM
The front ones are push back, however if they are stiff it can be quite hard to do this.

Using the Laser wind back tool and an old pad makes it much easier.

However you should open the bleed valve as the piston is ment to be 1 way. Using the wind back tool too quickly causes the seal on the piston to split if the bleed valve is closed.
Where's the bleed valve? I just opened the brake fluid reservoir.

talkingcars
02-01-12, 07:51 PM
Where's the bleed valve? I just opened the brake fluid reservoir.

Um, on the leading edge of the caliper!

KirkJames
02-01-12, 08:59 PM
Fair enough, I take it I just turn it whichever way it says? Sorry to come across a bit dense, just want to make sure that's all!

talkingcars
02-01-12, 10:03 PM
Clockwise.

KirkJames
02-01-12, 11:48 PM
Cheers mate. I will give that a try soon enough then. :)