PDA

View Full Version : Scottish weather

Nor
03-01-12, 09:12 AM
Some wind today in Scotland, worse than Hurricane Bawbag a couple of weeks ago I reckon.

I'm not as bad as some, but car not the best. Tiles off house and landed on bonnet and roof of car.

Hambo-180
03-01-12, 11:13 AM
got a fair bit of damage this morning Nor, tiles off the roof, couple of fences down, at least its not as windy now but now its pouring down!!! Happy New Year!

peterzs
03-01-12, 11:39 AM
Ouch, sounds nasty, if it makes you feel any better, we have had it in the south as well.

Just got back from one of the daughters, fence panel down, and the wind and rain pushed water through the sliding patio doors.

No tiles off roof, glad to say.

Smokey
03-01-12, 12:35 PM
That's my worry Nor. Scared to check the car! Any damage?

grimmy
03-01-12, 12:42 PM
That's nasty dude.thankfully mines is garaged at night. hope the damage ain't to bad nor.

Nor
03-01-12, 02:06 PM
It's pretty fecked. Damage to bonnet, roof, rear passenger door, rear wing. It's not massive damage to each panel, but bad enough. The bodywork was the one thing which was great on the car lol

Dav
03-01-12, 02:31 PM
Bad news mate :( No car damage, but the main high street where I live was shut because the fronts of two shops were blown on to the pavement and road below, luckily there were no injuries

talkingcars
03-01-12, 05:19 PM
Nor - that's not good.

I remember being here in 1990 when we had a really bad storm, I saw a couple of lorries lose their roofs on the motorway and then came home to listern to slates sliding off the roof.

Thankfully it's not so bad but we lost a fence panel before christmas and another one went today and Mrs TC has retrived our dusbin from across the road twice.

BUCKYDEVIL
03-01-12, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear your motor got skelped Nor,(will Insurance cover it)
I had to work in it today and it was the worst wind Ive ever worked through
Ive got a Garden like a war zone now with fence down,shed obliterated and some roof tiles off.
I tried to get through to insurance company but it's just a nightmare to get through &
They have a prerecorded message saying Fences, outbuildings etc are not covered by bad weather.
. Bollocks..

Nor
03-01-12, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Most important thing is that it's only a car and nobody was hurt, could have easily been another story if the timing was different. Here's some pics of the damage. The bonnet doesn't look quite as bad in the pics, but the centre section is pretty caved in, as well as the puncture hole.

http://www.easilydone.co.uk/180/dmg/roof-door.png

http://www.easilydone.co.uk/180/dmg/roof.png

http://www.easilydone.co.uk/180/dmg/rear-passenger-door.png

http://www.easilydone.co.uk/180/dmg/bonnet.png

Dan1971
03-01-12, 05:50 PM
Unlucky pal ....

I thought I'd had it bad with 4 fence panels down ....

Ritchy
03-01-12, 06:57 PM
Thats an absolute gutter Nor, nearly had it happen a few times last few weeks, luckily they missedmy cars. Was absolute madness when I got up, the big canoes had blown right across my garden, one was hitting off the yellow car, luckily didnt damage it. Nearly taken off my feet taking rhe cars down the drive. Driving to work was like a scene out of some apocolypse film, just about every billboard on dumbarton road was blown down, car was getting rocked aboutt terribly, I was waiting at a set of traffic lights and one if them blew off landed in the road in front of me, south street as i drove onto it at BAE Systems 3 huge sheets blew off the roof, like 4 storys high up massive 10-15 foot metal sheets lifted up loke paper, one was heading at me bit another gust took it back away from me, there was a chimney lying in the middle of the road, as I got out the car at work I walked towards it and I was getting shot blasted with grit properly sore, crazy trying to walk against it. Luckily died down pretty quickly but my powers only just been turned back on, trees down everywhere including entrance to my street, lots of roads still shut, roofs missing off houses, erskine bridge has just re-opened(was open during the worst weather) kingstone bridge was shut due to trucks on there sides
Much much worse than hurricane bawbag

Nor
03-01-12, 07:05 PM
Glad yer okay Ritchy, sounds fecking mental. My car is probably a write off, but there's more important things than the car. Thankfully none of the family were hurt. House across the street had their living room window come in with the wind.

Check out this pic of what looks like the roof coming off the flats:

http://i44.tinypic.com/65sgox.jpg

The only thing I'm annoyed about is my house insurers not covering it, so it's gonna be a shafting from my car insurance with losing the NCB, and even without a claim my car insurance premium will of up simply because the car's been damaged.

Ritchy
03-01-12, 07:15 PM
Itll be fixable, just not through insurance, the place that did mine would probably be able to repair it, we lost about 20 slates off our roof last night and 4 pieces of flashing

Maxfly
03-01-12, 07:15 PM
Thats sickening Nor :( very probably a write off with the panel damage but could be well worth repairing?? Really lovely example, be a shame to let it go. Like you say though, least noone was hurt, not been anything out the oprdinary up here, just a wee breeze really, think it has bypassed the north.

Ritchy
03-01-12, 07:17 PM
That picture is crazy

KevG
03-01-12, 09:51 PM
That's a shame Nor, although the damage is repairable, your insurers will probably write it off IF you decide to go down that route

Nor
04-01-12, 05:45 PM
That's a shame Nor, although the damage is repairable, your insurers will probably write it off IF you decide to go down that route

It's gonna be a difficult decision Kev. I don't want to take the hit on NCB and premium, and I don't really want to pay a big whack myself. I'm sounding a few options out at the moment, and then it's decision time. Sad thing is the bodywork on my car has always been the best thing about it. It's a poor wee soul at the moment.

C13URD
04-01-12, 06:07 PM
:ohmy:.....I really feel for ya on this one Nor... this happened to me a few years ago with my red mk2 zs derv.. twice

the first time the back window got put through with a tile off the roof had to claim & the second time large dent appeared in the centre of the bonnet just like yrs took it to the body shop that time...

Hope you can get it sorted...best of luck..

Dan1971
04-01-12, 06:28 PM
I don't think it's right that your house insurance won't cover it .... :hmm:

If they came off and damaged something else - say for example - something breakable in your garden - they would pay. Doesn't seem right that just because there is a policy on the car, that the house insurance don't cough up.

Then again though - house insurance have similar no claims etc issues and it's going up year on year too. A guy i work with couldn't get house insurance this year from most companies because he's had 3 claims in the last 2 years.

talkingcars
04-01-12, 07:36 PM
The only thing I'm annoyed about is my house insurers not covering it, so it's gonna be a shafting from my car insurance with losing the NCB, and even without a claim my car insurance premium will of up simply because the car's been damaged.

On what grounds?

Surley the property insurance has some sort of public liability cover, if the tiles had hit a person walking down the road and killed him would the property refuse compensation if he'd had life insurance?

Hambo-180
04-01-12, 08:38 PM
sorry to read about the car Nor, i'd be gutted!

i got a bit of damage from the storm but not as bad as a house round the corner from me:-
image 5
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381

peterzs
05-01-12, 09:25 AM
Thats what you call a storm!!!

Lucky there wernt many injuries or worse.

Hope you are all OK up there now.

Stephen
06-01-12, 12:56 PM
Ah thats a gutter mate!! :( hope you get it sorted soon.

Dan1971
06-01-12, 01:06 PM
There are a few cars on there that I'm glad I wasn't sat in !

stamford
06-01-12, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage Nor, at least no-one was hurt, could have been alot worse judging by the photos, pretty bad.

Jem
06-01-12, 03:40 PM
Thats really bad glad everyone is ok though,The only thing we had was a blown garden fence i was only worried about the naughty kids as it was then open up to the park anyone could of walked in from the park and got in our house,Thankfully the fence got put back up just before xmas.

Just waiting for a new fence as it did get destroyed.