PDA

View Full Version : Decat Question

KirkJames
07-01-12, 05:04 PM
I am probably going to go down the route of having a decat made at either 'Power & Performance' (Norwich - Powerflow Dealer) or 'SCA Race & Rally' in Norwich.
Now the thing is, as they are now closed. Out of curiosity, does anybody know if you need the bit of flexi pipe that you would get with a decat from say PTP or Motobuild or would a made up one have it as a matter of course.

I don't want to get one made up without one only to find that it is too rigid and snaps something!

big_wasa
07-01-12, 05:21 PM
yeh I want one but aint paying £156 for less than a meter of straight tube.

Think I will have a go at making one if I can get some flanges cut out.

You need the flexi as the engine rocks a little and as you say somthing will give.

My guess, the mani will give way first.

talkingcars
07-01-12, 05:44 PM
Any decent bespoke exhaust manufacturer will have the flexi pipe on the self.

Make sure you ask them to do it so the cat can be popped back in for the MOT - when I had my exhaust built they made me a seperate cat replacment and altered my cat so it could be refitted.

big_wasa
07-01-12, 05:57 PM
Pricing the bits.

1/2m stainless tube £9
stainless flexi £13
ss Lambda bos £4
ss 2 hole flange £10
ss 3 hole flange Not found one yet

so the parts are around a third. hmmm

KirkJames
08-01-12, 08:39 AM
Managed to speak to SCA in Norwich and the pipe they do is just a straight pipe replacement (so I presume the cat can just bolt back on??) but they can add a flexi pipe for about 20 notes, so would be looking at about 160 altogether. That's about the same as the pipe from motobuild anyway and I don't have to pi55 about fitting it.

Bobdope2002
08-01-12, 08:57 AM
160 tell em shove it up they're ass mine cost £50

big_wasa
08-01-12, 09:11 AM
The price of steel has gone stupid but its still over the odds.

talkingcars
08-01-12, 09:56 AM
Powerflow did mine for £70 including adapting the cat for being refitable.

Supercharged_Z
08-01-12, 10:02 AM
yeah also another £50 odd quid jobbie here too!!!

sneekyparrot
08-01-12, 10:41 AM
yeah also another £50 odd quid jobbie here too!!!

Where From Ross or did you make it yourself?

i am planning a decat but i will have to be able to rig up a cat for the next MOT, my current janspeed sports cat has just about given up and barely scraped thru.

SP.

Supercharged_Z
08-01-12, 10:45 AM
powerflow knocked it up to be honest

im sending you a pm now as somthing has just come to my mind

KirkJames
08-01-12, 01:18 PM
Oh ok, I had no idea not having been down this route before. I will wait till monday then and try power & performance near Norwich!

Quadcam24
08-01-12, 01:19 PM
yeah mine was about 50 quid, a mates garage knocked it up for me, i just supplied a flange. Was a pleasant surprise too when i drove home, car revved around to the top so much easier.
Of course that was back in the days of adam and eve, i believe i was the first to ever de cat a zs 180, but the trend soon caught on.lol
Considering a loaf of bread has gone up from 50 p to £1.45 in the last 10 years then i wouldn't be surprised to hear a de cat cost much more than they used too as well.

KirkJames
08-01-12, 01:19 PM
Powerflow did mine for £70 including adapting the cat for being refitable.

That's a good price, think I may mention that when I speak to them and see what they are prepared to do for me ;)

KirkJames
09-01-12, 09:34 PM
I have had 3 quotes now and all of 'em have been between 140-200, the best being about 150 all in. I did speak to a garage who said that if I got one myself they would stick it on for 25.
Motorsportworld do one for 125, so might go down that route now!

talkingcars
09-01-12, 09:52 PM
PTP does the Janspeed one for less, same for motobuild.

edit - just checked PTP - £131.71 for the Janspeed.

KirkJames
10-01-12, 01:33 AM
Yeah motorsportworld is the cheapest out there at the mo for direct replacement. Still, if anyone can get this magical price for under 100 it might be worth me driving elsewhere ;0

sneekyparrot
10-01-12, 08:06 AM
Longlife???

Only way I can see is get the bits yourself and tack it all together with a mig welder, then find a decent welder who can finish weld the lot together.

Sp.

big_wasa
10-01-12, 04:34 PM
like I say its £50 for the bits with out the 3 hole flange.

I can make one but cutting the 3 hole flange out of 8~10mm stainless would be a pain in the arse.

KirkJames
10-01-12, 08:05 PM
Popped in to SCA in Norwich today, attitude stank, tried telling me my exhaust had split at the join between the centre section and the back box. When I said I could sort that out they said 'oh no don't worry it hasn't split yet'
Priced me up for a full system anyway and the decat.
Cost:
Decat £199!!!!!!!!!
Full cat back system £473!!!!!!!!!
My answer........... the door closing behind me on the way out.
Also when I priced up some tyres they came back at over £40 more then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't get them cheaper.

Ar5eholes!!!!!!

That was a longlife dealer!

KirkJames
11-01-12, 04:54 PM
Got the car in for a decat next tuesday for the grand total of 150 notes. It's a powerflow dealer so will have a good guarantee. I will take some pics of the job in progress if i can and post them up.

Before everyone says I got ripped off, I telephoned loads of places and all were around the same price if not more. Gone are the days of getting one made up for 70 quid, price of steel has gone up drastically so I'm told.

Off to Wales next friday so will be able to give it a blast!!! I am happy with that :)