PDA

View Full Version : Decisions decisions

Jay-ZS+
07-01-12, 05:54 PM
Basically having had a few teething issues with the bike and not having the time to sort them due to work and uni, the car insurance has almost run out. Tax is due the end of Feb as well.

Ive got to make the decision of should I reinsure and tax it.Sort a couple of little niggles out on it and then hold out for a decent price for it. Meaning I can use it through the winter and get the bike running sweet in my spare time. Had a quote for insurance of £549 which I was quite surprised at being 25 with 6 points!

Or do I advertise it at a lower price to shift it soon as?

Finally do I brake it?

big_wasa
07-01-12, 05:59 PM
Its not a good time to sell any toy mate. Sit on it unless you have to cash it in.

Supercharged_Z
07-01-12, 06:15 PM
I would release cash from it to be honest bring down value, you could start by selling me your brakes and wheels :)

peterzs
07-01-12, 06:54 PM
Keep the car for the winter, sort the bike and use it in the Spring/Summer.

Sell the car for a good price, or if you have the space (hi Salisbury) and time, break it and sell the parts, for even more.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

big_wasa
07-01-12, 06:58 PM
I would release cash from it to be honest bring down value, you could start by selling me your brakes and wheels :)

Drool, torsen diff box :clap2:

Dan1971
07-01-12, 07:00 PM
Tax, insure, enjoy .....

talkingcars
07-01-12, 07:02 PM
Tax it - drive it -smile.

Smokey
07-01-12, 07:45 PM
Why are the small niggles? Might be a decider?

Jay-ZS+
07-01-12, 07:49 PM
They are tiny niggles, wiper blade motor is noisy, one of the gearbox seals is leaky slightly and the one of the bulbs on the dash has gone. £50 and a free afternoon could fix them if only I had a spare one.

Smokey
07-01-12, 07:57 PM
Find the time mate. That's nothing to be selling for!

Jay-ZS+
07-01-12, 08:00 PM
I will sell it regardless eventually, it will just be now or 6 months down the line.

Smokey
07-01-12, 08:15 PM
What sort of price are you looking for? Your car is pretty unique!

stamford
09-01-12, 07:29 AM
Didn't take long for the vultures to circle ;)

Sell it whole as why bother doing anything if you are not 100% into it anymore?

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 07:49 AM
Well think Im gonna insure it and use it as a rainy day car, keep it for those icy mornings that I dont fancy kitting up and jumping on the bike. Also with this single seater project im working on need some way of getting the tools and parts to the gargage.

Gonna sort out all the niggles, most of which were there when I bought it and just not bothered me, get it 100% and enjoy it.

It was as I walked back to the car after work last night that made my mind up. Walking across the empty carpark, it was almost dark and I was parked under a light and it just looked stunning. Not sure I could part with it. :)

peterzs
09-01-12, 09:41 AM
People must think I'm simple, (no comments ta) but the other day I had parked the car, walked back from the Post Office and just had to smile at the big yellow, big spoiler, sporty car sitting there.

Think you made the right choice Jay.

Hows the single seater coming along, will it be part of the Uni degree???

:bike::bike: :yay::yay:

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 10:03 AM
People must think I'm simple, (no comments ta) but the other day I had parked the car, walked back from the Post Office and just had to smile at the big yellow, big spoiler, sporty car sitting there.

Think you made the right choice Jay.

Hows the single seater coming along, will it be part of the Uni degree???

:bike::bike: :yay::yay:

Well its been put to one side at the min what with xmas and the exams last week and this week. But Ive basically got the spaceframe designed and done most of the stress analysis on it, few alternations to ensure everything fits. Just looking into designing a variable plenum for the engine so try and maximise its performance through the rev range.Although at the minute its just pages of excel simulations, hope to get it drawn up in cad to run further simulation on it.

Will be using a 20mm restrictor in the inlet so that it falls within the formula student rules. The idea being to show that between the 3 of us we can design and build a car that has taken a team of 20 fellow students who dont know a spanner from a hammer 3 years do.

At the moment its not part of the degree just doing it with a couple of mates as a sideline thing thought it would be a good 'engineering exercise', something for the CV . Although considering looking at the variable plenum as a dissertation project. There was a guy a few years ago that designed one for his focus and got an extra 12% though-out the rev range. As a result is now working for Aston Martin.

Although that's something to consider for next year will carry on the development whilst we get the thing build. Hope to get the majority of it done over the summer.

peterzs
09-01-12, 10:15 AM
All sounds good, best of luck with everything.

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 10:16 AM
Cheers Pete :)

stamford
09-01-12, 10:48 AM
Common sense prevails! Change your sig, let's see how made your mind is up! :laugh:

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 10:51 AM
Common sense prevails! Change your sig, let's see how made your mind is up! :laugh:

Until I pay my insurance premium guess im open to offers :P but they would have to be good ones.

stamford
09-01-12, 10:53 AM
Until I pay my insurance premium guess im open to offers :P but they would have to be good ones.

Sounds familiar....................Dan will buy it ;)

Smokey
09-01-12, 10:56 AM
Great choice tO keep it mate, but then we all have or want one so we are biased!

magpie67
09-01-12, 11:12 AM
Have you given Peter Best insurance a ring, they do a "modern MG" policy, gotta be worth a try

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 11:15 AM
Have you given Peter Best insurance a ring, they do a "modern MG" policy, gotta be worth a try

I haven't but when the time comes they were on my list of places to ring.

magpie67
09-01-12, 11:22 AM
I haven't but when the time comes they were on my list of places to ring.

Swifcover qouted £700., i think for fully comp, Peter Best was £318 for better cover, bit of a no brainer :cool2:

Jay-ZS+
09-01-12, 11:24 AM
Thats quite a saving! :thumbsup:

Dan1971
09-01-12, 12:10 PM
Sounds familiar....................Dan will buy it ;)

:idea:

Hee hee .... But Nah - I'm sorted but thanks for thinking of me .... or did you means Squeeks ....

Jake ?

stamford
09-01-12, 02:40 PM
:idea:

Hee hee .... But Nah - I'm sorted but thanks for thinking of me .... or did you means Squeeks ....

Jake ?

Twas you Dan :D Only guy I know who has his own dedicated assistant at the DVLA.

Dan1971
09-01-12, 03:46 PM
Twas you Dan :D Only guy I know who has his own dedicated assistant at the DVLA.

:rofl: