PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 120 saloon spares or repairs

Dav
09-01-12, 02:46 PM
Ive got to the point now where I can't afford to spend any more money on my Zed. It's killing me having to write this up, but needs must.

So, it's a 120 saloon in Ignition Blue. Spares or repairs as I've replaced the head gasket but it still doesn't run right and I can't afford to do any more to it. It won't rev above about 4500rpm and even then it doesn't want to get there.

It is in fair condition, the interior is in good condition apart from the steering wheel, but I have another one to replace it. The front tyres need replacing as one is low and the other has a split in the sidewall so it's on the space saver. The wheels (Hairpins) are in good nick otherwise tho.

It has tax until April and the MOT runs out in I think June.

I'm being as honest as I can, as up until this point, it's been brilliant to me, but that time has come.

I'm after £600 no offers. It's got to be worth that, even in bits, but I don't really have the space or time to break it.

I'm located in Southampton.

Any questions or details, PM me or call/text Dave (me) on 07920039234

I'll add some pics up when I get to my computer.

talkingcars
09-01-12, 04:16 PM
Sad but have you done absolutly everything?

If it is having problems building up the revs there is proberbly something simple like a split airline or blocked filter.

big_wasa
09-01-12, 04:36 PM
If it was rebuilt using the haynes manual then the cam pulleys could be 180 deg out. That stops them reving but it does sort of run. Didnt damage the valves though.

ZS
09-01-12, 04:45 PM
Pictures would be good... also, you ok for a viewing? Assuming your still selling...

Alternatively, drop it round and i'll see if I can get it sorted for you??

Dav
09-01-12, 04:47 PM
Yea, I've double check all the pipes and connectors, but no go :(

Anyhoo, pics...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/c2dcfb77.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/86a06db3.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Boostjunkie2003/b74666f0.jpg

Dav
09-01-12, 04:52 PM
If it was rebuilt using the haynes manual then the cam pulleys could be 180 deg out. That stops them reving but it does sort of run. Didnt damage the valves though.

Yea, it was Haynes manual built. So is it worth timing the cams so the inlet marks face the rear instead of the front?

Dav
09-01-12, 04:55 PM
Viewing is good, is the weekend ok? I work during the day is all.

big_wasa
09-01-12, 05:28 PM
Yea, it was Haynes manual built. So is it worth timing the cams so the inlet marks face the rear instead of the front?

inlet should point to the front and exhaust to the rear.

like this

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attachments/f38/13825d1265713575-k-series-head-bolts-hgf-tool-info-cam-marks-lined-up-plastic-.jpg

welshone
09-01-12, 05:35 PM
<<<LINK>>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5oA2X03z8)

Dav
09-01-12, 05:50 PM
inlet should point to the front and exhaust to the rear.

like this

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attachments/f38/13825d1265713575-k-series-head-bolts-hgf-tool-info-cam-marks-lined-up-plastic-.jpg

That's how I've done it, that's what Haynes says anyway. On the crankshaft pulley, should it be lined up with the TDC mark? That's what I've done.

ZS
09-01-12, 06:10 PM
That's how I've done it, that's what Haynes says anyway. On the crankshaft pulley, should it be lined up with the TDC mark? That's what I've done.

Crankshaft pulley has two dots on its teeth (when you have removed the large pulley and left the bit the cambelt goes round), these line up with a dot on the block...

If you have lined up tdc then, iirc, you are about 90 degrees out...

itsonlyme
09-01-12, 07:44 PM
the TDC mark is not correct, if you look further around the case in a clockwise direction you will find another single mark, thats the correct one

as above, just seen the last post

Dav
09-01-12, 08:22 PM
Would it be safe to drive? I've done a couple of miles in it already, trying to get it to a garage, but know I know it's the timing, I could do it at work. Just that work is a 6mile drive away, is it worth it?

ZS
09-01-12, 08:32 PM
Would it be safe to drive? I've done a couple of miles in it already, trying to get it to a garage, but know I know it's the timing, I could do it at work. Just that work is a 6mile drive away, is it worth it?

I have some pictures somewhere of the damage the 120 engine I had received after 7 miles driving, timed to tdc by the previous owner... I had to replace the pistons because of it! So while I was there I replaced the liners too... not fun... then we dont mention the valves... lol

So imo no its not worth it...

Ritchy
09-01-12, 08:38 PM
where the pistons half way down the liners when you timed it up?

ZS
09-01-12, 08:44 PM
where the pistons half way down the liners when you timed it up?

Hopefully the pistons were not moved without the head torqued down... so probably couldn't answer that question...

itsonlyme
09-01-12, 08:46 PM

tow it, it may save your engine

Dav
09-01-12, 09:13 PM
Yes, pistons were half way before timing, at least that's where they were once the head was torqued. I'll look for the other mark tomoz then and hopefully that'll sort it.

Just wanna say thank you to all you lot that have replyed and texted me, means a lot ;)

Still gonna be up for sale either way tho

Dav
11-01-12, 04:13 PM
Right, thank you for all of your help everyone, it is now fixed!! The timing was 90degrees out, which I've put right and it now runs and sounds perfect.

Unfortunately it's still up for sale. I'm looking for £750.

itsonlyme
11-01-12, 04:36 PM
I am pleased its sorted, you were very lucky

talkingcars
11-01-12, 06:18 PM
Pleased it's sorted so why are you still selling?

Dav
11-01-12, 06:43 PM
Coz I've had enough of the K series if I'm honest. It's killing me to have to sell, as I love the car, I just wish it was quicker and not K powered. I will come back with a V6 once I've settled in my new job, but with a free car on the way that is cheaper all round, it's time to let my Zed go :(