PDA

View Full Version : theMGZS.co.uk Track Car *POSSIBLE FIRST DATE*

Smokey
13-01-12, 12:48 PM
Ok so here it is... I have had this plan brewing for a while now.

The track car has sat for over a year now and the funds are available to do the engine swap with belt change. However, my concerns are that with it sitting so long open to the elements, there may be other issues arise (this combined with the car having no service history and I only drove it around 400 miles!)

So... I have now agreed to purchase Craig's red 180, use the current track car to fix its issues (which is replace the brake disks, bonnet release cables (will get bonnet clips) and thermostat)

Then I will strip the seats and seatbelts out, put in my current bucket seats/harnesses, ge the baby liveried up and it will be ready for the next available track days!

WOOHOO!!

Plus I plan on getting the belts done in the coming months to keep it running for as long as possible.

This means that the current track car will be stripped for parts.

I will be keeping the current track car alloys as they are unmarked mk1 straights and I want a spare set for racing. Other than that, all available parts will be ready to sell. (I will post a for sale thread shortly)

I have also designed a livery through Forza 4 on a Chevy Cobalt so you will have an idea of what it will look like!

OLD TRACK CAR TO BE STRIPPED:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/6760c240.jpg

NEW TRACK CAR:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/105870677.jpg

NEW LIVERY TO BE ORDERED

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/ForzaBigshot.jpg

stamford
13-01-12, 12:55 PM
A cunning plan squire!

BUCKYDEVIL
13-01-12, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you can finally see some light at the end of tunnel on your Track car project.
Credit to you for sticking by it for so long,
Got my 40th next year so In now thinking of a nice mid life crisis project to keep me busy so I've considered sticking a 180 on track, and been finding lots of nice cheap examples.
That's how I spotted Craigs for sale..

Dan1971
13-01-12, 02:45 PM
Funny .... Guess we're all thinking the same thing ....

I'm getting together with some guys to hopefully get a track type project together. 4 of us putting in with a view to getting over to "the ring". Idea is to keep everything cheap - and fun - then if we stack it - we simply scrap it and walk away.

They are bikers so I'll punt the car over with the luggage - if the weather's good - I take the car round and they stay on their bikes. If the weather's dodgy or when they get there they don't fancy it on their bikes - we all take the car round.

Then there are also the prospects of taking it to Brands etc for a few days out. When there are a few people putting in - it seems a whole load more affordable than trying to do it all alone.

Haggard's 180 hatch is what I'm trying to get them interested in - then we can all keep tabs on it. So far the interest has been good - just need to get some confirmation by the end of next week. Fingers x'd.

Ritchy
13-01-12, 04:05 PM
marcus mine may be for sale in time for your 40th:P

BUCKYDEVIL
13-01-12, 04:47 PM
marcus mine may be for sale in time for your 40th:P

Wouldnt rule it out Buddy,,
just stuck with maybe buying a house Very Very soon then will have the driveway for my project.

Nor
13-01-12, 06:07 PM
Great plan Smokey.

Only thing for me is that I'm not a massive fan of the hot wheels decal.

Ritchy
13-01-12, 06:08 PM
if your wanting a project project can take it as is for what it owes me mate, dont mind not really had a chance to have a look at it yet

BUCKYDEVIL
13-01-12, 08:57 PM
If I wasn't in the middle of project new home I woulda been first on the phone to Goldie when it was offered.
Seriously never been in the position of Finance at the moment to meet requirments of being able to move home.
Mega savings getting walloped,,
BUT
when I can fund it I will be like Blair and following through something that's on my
Bucket list.

Ritchy
13-01-12, 09:00 PM
see what happens eh:) be a fleet of ZS track cars all in differet colours

Smokey
13-01-12, 11:00 PM
My only disappointment is, I loved the black one with it being a complete replica of the BTCC one but the new red livery I like too.

Nor, y u no like Hot Wheels?!

grimmy
13-01-12, 11:27 PM
After looking at it again the hot wheels thing isn't really doing it for me either. maybe change it up with a big mg logo that would look much better

Smokey
13-01-12, 11:32 PM
but it already has a big one down the bottom....?

grimmy
13-01-12, 11:53 PM
but it already has a big one down the bottom....?

I meant the bonnet one sides need a big starskey and hutch job white stripe lol

Maxxed_Ross
14-01-12, 05:37 AM
Every time I'm up at Dreadnought I've noticed your engine was still there. I was starting to wonder what was going on, it's sat still almost as long as mine has :laugh:

The engine is fully wrapped up, so it should be ok

Supercharged_Z
14-01-12, 09:22 AM
Good idea but just to play devils advocate you won't have much up with the black one, these are good cars all the trouble is vis, clutch and thermostat related.
Brakes might need a clean off but I think that is all which or a track car is ideal

Smokey
14-01-12, 09:51 AM
I know what you're saying Ross but I dont want to pay out almost as much for the engine change which includes buying the oil filter pipes, only to have other hassles. Criag has run in the red one and I know its requirements to be perfect for the track. Plus the price was good and I dont want to waste any more time with plans.

This way, I have a working ZS that is ready to race which was the whole point and to get the site together at some meets that involve more than just chatting.

Roll on March :)

Maxxed_Ross
14-01-12, 04:50 PM
yeah I suppose it's always easier to start with a car that runs.

Nothing to stop you swapping the engine yourself if you know the new one is ok, it's not that hard to do a like for like change later on... or are you selling the black one?

If you were wanting to be really drastic you could swap over all the body panels from the black car and just get the roof wrapped black :laugh:

Smokey
14-01-12, 07:10 PM
lol, ace idea Ross, only thing is, the rear quarter panels would be a nightmare surely?!?!

Maxxed_Ross
15-01-12, 05:26 AM
crap, forgot about them

grimmy
15-01-12, 10:23 AM
Wrap them

Smokey
15-01-12, 10:28 AM
Lol, it's gonna be a challenge wrapping the bonnet and boot white and the roof black!

Maxxed_Ross
15-01-12, 04:18 PM
what colour scheme are you thinking of?

Smokey
15-01-12, 08:45 PM
um....check out the first page of this thread...

Maxxed_Ross
16-01-12, 05:30 AM
sorry thought we were still on about turning the red car black

doing the bonnet and the boot will be easy enough, just take them off and paint them!

Smokey
16-01-12, 09:19 PM
Thought about painting them but the vinyl wrap costs about the same so still undecided!

Maxxed_Ross
17-01-12, 05:28 AM
Paint will give a far better finish, and stone chips will be the right colour

Captain Peanut
17-01-12, 07:34 AM
Sounds like a good plan there. I assume the track day tour will still be happening then?

Let us know when you start stripping the old one, have a few bits to source for mine!

Smokey
17-01-12, 10:05 AM
Stripping it now mate.
And yeah the tour will happen this year buddy.

Captain Peanut
17-01-12, 10:18 AM
Cool.

If I ping you a list of parts that are needed could you suggest some prices for me?

Smokey
17-01-12, 10:42 AM
Yeah no probs mate. If they are available I'll quote you.

Smokey
19-01-12, 12:34 PM
Collection of the new car will be 15th Feb...wonder when the Dreadnought track nights will start?!!

Maxxed_Ross
19-01-12, 05:04 PM
I'll find out

I'm up for helping it strip it if you need a hand

Supercharged_Z
19-01-12, 05:59 PM
if its viable and can get a place to kip i might come up for a track night. love the circuit up there.

Smokey
19-01-12, 11:38 PM
Ross (of the maxxed variety) help would be awesome as I have limited time/tools. A bed is available and food too!

Ross (of the super variety) mate, you'd always be welcome to crash at mine for track nights. Just waiting on dates being posted.

Maxxed_Ross
20-01-12, 05:36 AM
I have a bed too if you're stuck

I'm heading up there next week so will see if they have dates yet

Smokey
13-02-12, 10:23 PM
Well I pick the car up in a couple of days. Then I will be replacing the brake disks, removing the seats and seatbelts, installing the two bucket seats and harnesses and also measuring up for the livery.

All I will need then is the dates for this years dreadnought track nights!

Maxxed_Ross
14-02-12, 05:34 AM
I'm back a week on Wed so give me a shout if you need help

Smokey
18-02-12, 12:19 PM
Today, I said goodbye to the old track car as Goldie (GeAServices) came and collected it.

Now I will need to find the time to get the new car prepared for our track days!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/252ac790.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/730bab21.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/40a6acd4.jpg

peterzs
18-02-12, 12:26 PM
Sad day, but up and onwards.

The black one was as a good car to practise the spanner wielding.

Best of luck with the new one.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :hooray::hooray::hooray:

stamford
18-02-12, 12:54 PM
Always a shame to see one go like that..........

Smokey
18-02-12, 01:02 PM
I agree Pete, I learned a lot about the ZS by dismantling this one. Was sad to see it leave but there was an instant replacement on the drive so all is good!

Smokey
18-02-12, 01:02 PM
All I need to do now is find time between rain and snow, yes snow, to measure up the new livery and get it ordered!

BUCKYDEVIL
18-02-12, 02:36 PM
looking very sorry for itself on that trailer, Sad..
look forward to pics of the new livery when it's done.

Dan1971
18-02-12, 04:10 PM
Here's a thought - the ZS that I bought with 3 other guys, is going to be up and running soon. Get some dates and we might have a road trip in it up to yours ....

:hmm:

Smokey
18-02-12, 06:15 PM
Could do it for a track meet Dan. Get them both round Knockhill together!

Smokey
18-02-12, 06:15 PM
Almost forgot... UPDATE!

Both bucket seats are in and one harness is set up!

Maxxed_Ross
19-02-12, 05:37 AM
that was quick

Smokey
19-02-12, 06:26 PM
Well I put the bucket seats in the wrong way so swapped them and fitted both harnesses. Removed back seats too!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/cc11df8e.jpg

Ritchy
19-02-12, 06:43 PM
saw goldie today he was saying he picked that up yesterday, glad to see the new zs is coming along, thinking i might just sell my yelow one as is as not really had time to sort it out

Smokey
19-02-12, 09:44 PM
I'd keep it mate, I struggle to find time but have pushed myself over the last week or two between work, carpc etc!

Maxxed_Ross
20-02-12, 05:39 AM
how much were those seats? I'm looking for a new set for the Defender and those look comfy!

Luti
20-02-12, 06:27 AM
Not 100% sure I'll be having tracknights this year. Lack of support last year meant it cost us money to organise them.

Maxxed_Ross
20-02-12, 08:10 AM
that would be a great shame, Dreadnought nights are always great fun

grimmy
20-02-12, 09:27 AM
Not 100% sure I'll be having tracknights this year. Lack of support last year meant it cost us money to organise them.

That would be a shame only been to one and it was a great night and think if the original track car hadn't died before last years night there would have been more interest from this site, and with the new car on the go I was intending on coming up to more.

BUCKYDEVIL
20-02-12, 09:32 AM
That's a shame if Dreadnought dont run track night's this year,
as a back up though there is Crail raceway http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/
the drag strip would be good to put cars on an even field 110 v 120 etc:
Knockhill still runs open track nights though.

Maxxed_Ross
20-02-12, 10:25 AM
Crain is quite expensive for what it actually is, and you get bored really quickly. It's ok for a once in a while event though.

I wouldn't touch a hot hatch day at Knockhill. You hardly get any track time, there's far too many cars on the track at the same time that are going round at vastly different speeds and every numpty with an evo seems to come out of the woodwork for them. There's not one event where someone doesn't go off into the gravel, run into someone or end up on their roof.

Private nights are the way to go

BUCKYDEVIL
20-02-12, 10:33 AM
I know what your saying Ross, but if Dreadnought dont run a private night then the only option is to try and run one but realistically how many owners would stick a car on track ?
From this site and the ZR forum you would be lucky to get a few and I suppose the people who did the Dreadnought night's must be looking into running something else ?
If Dreadnought are to run the meets again then I guess they need a better show of support.

Maxxed_Ross
20-02-12, 12:00 PM
Track Scotland and the lotus club still run fairly regular meets up there in the same format as the Dreadnought nights... we could try and get an invite to those if nothing else is available.

I was really screwed last year - firstly because the car wasn't ready and it was supposed to be and secondly my work shifts just didn't line up at all. The only track night I was actually home for I took the RB320 out to keep myself sane

peterzs
20-02-12, 12:09 PM
I've only done Novice Track driving at Brands, and that was just the 1 hour sessions, about 3 times now.

Found it was very well organised and fun. Didnt want to drive flat out and beat the lap record, just to see how a std. ZS derv went round a track.

Would recommended it to anyone, pity you are so far up north.

I've booked a novice track day outing at Trax, thought fo £30 would be fun to drive round Silverstone. I'll start off at the back and let the 400/500 bhp Jap boys trip over themselves.

As Paul says it costs a lot to put these events on and you must have the support to clear the expenses.

BUCKYDEVIL
20-02-12, 12:44 PM
Track Scotland has confirmed Knockhill dates for:

Saturday 4th February: 12-4pm

Saturday 26th May: 6-8pm

Wednesday 4th July: 6-8pm

Thursday 30th August: 6-8pm

Saturday 3rd November: 12-4pm

Knockhill have increased their prices for the 2 hour sessions, so we will have to increase our prices slightly for these events.

We're still working on dates for Ingleston

We've spoken with SIDC on our dates and hopefully our events will be evenly spread across the year.

Smokey
20-02-12, 04:12 PM
Links and prices mate?

If Paul had been running track nights, I'd have had both my 180s out on occasion!

Think it's £1750 approx for 2 hours exclusive track hire though!

peterzs
20-02-12, 04:35 PM
wow can see why you need the numbers, suppose you could do 4 x 30 mins sessions.

would need 4 x 15 = 60, drivers out on track.

Can see why Paul pulled out.

BUCKYDEVIL
20-02-12, 04:44 PM
Knockhill 10th March £100 4 hr open pit lane 1pm-5pm
http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3814

Smokey
20-02-12, 05:44 PM
I'd be up for this even though its a bit more expensive.

Would there be enough interest in such a short time though as it would need to be booked/paid for fairly quickly to secure one of the remaining 5 places?

They also have a £10 charge per extra driver which sucks compared to Dreadnought nights so would cost more.

I reckon:

6 drivers getting around 30 mins racing each (with car cool down in between)
Kat and I would take up 2 places :D

Thats £150 straight up.

Plus cost of fuel/tyre wear/brake wear/any issues that may arise.

Does £45-£50 per person all in sound reasonable?

It doesn't mention passengers? Anyone able to find out? If they are free, then I would say a nominal £5 per passenger (if not already a driver lol)

Who would genuinely be available and have the readies within a week to 10 days?

BUCKYDEVIL
20-02-12, 06:12 PM
Think that price is really reasonable to cover your costs mate, I woulda loved to join in but unfortunately I'm moving house in a couple of days so every penny is a prisoner right now.
I would still come to watch/Meet up.. If it happens.

Smokey
20-02-12, 06:16 PM
well hopefully we'll get enough interest. Good luck with the move mate.

Smokey
22-02-12, 10:01 PM
Bonnet pins and TF wheel have now been ordered! Almost ready for the first meeting!