PDA

View Full Version : Police car test drive

markoos08
25-01-12, 03:44 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16716617
Oops!

Captain Peanut
25-01-12, 03:47 PM
Saw that this morning, can't imagine having to tell the boss that you've totalled teh enw car!

Nats Whiskas
25-01-12, 04:01 PM
Ahhhh not to worries, that should buff out! :blink:

Whatever happened to them coppers that decided to do a bit of landscape gardening with that evo, i wonder?

Dan1971
25-01-12, 04:27 PM
Looks like what I would manage if given the chance to drive like I do on Forza !

Glad no-one got hurt though ...

Dav
25-01-12, 08:32 PM
Good to see the taxpayers money is being well spent on those advanced driving courses and letting PC Plod ponce about in a £30,000 car.

And sorry, who "test drives" a car at ten-to-two in the morning? Coz he's a copper, he'll ovie get away it...

Quadcam24
25-01-12, 08:41 PM
as above.

caled
25-01-12, 09:43 PM
Good to see the taxpayers money is being well spent on those advanced driving courses and letting PC Plod ponce about in a £30,000 car.

And sorry, who "test drives" a car at ten-to-two in the morning? Coz he's a copper, he'll ovie get away it...

Perhaps you would rather them practice high speed runs during the school run?

Boot Hill Bandit
26-01-12, 09:02 AM
Perhaps you would rather them practice high speed runs during the school run?

I think the idea of what we would get told is there is a time and place for such activity which is a trackday or on private grounds...........not doing high speed or handling testing with road furniture for 'run off' areas...........

Sorry if my post comes across anti police.......it really isn't. I just don't like to see our money being burnt by someones carelessness. I know full well my local Police have karting events and other motorsport activities to hone their skills......I just don't think those skills should be 'furthered' on our roads.

Dan1971
26-01-12, 09:10 AM
This isn't testing the driver. This would have been testing the car and in the hands of someone trained to as very high standard. Not high enough I hear you think - but is there a person on here that has not had a prang before ? I've been given cars that are on test and motorbikes - to put them through what we do day to day.

Yep - terrible waste of a car. I say again though - just lucky no-one got hurt. And this isn't an anti police site - or an anti police post Boot hill - far from it. It's the one site I've been on where I don't care that people know what I do as you're all sensible and fair adults entitled to an opinion and where we're wrong - it's right to criticise and I'll say it too.

People have opinions on it that's why it featured. I've seen a BMW 530 d with less than 500 miles being cut open to release the 3 firearms officers who were stationary minding their own business and got hit from the rear by an HGV. Did that make the press .... no.... no story there ....

Why 2am though - seriously - because it's quiet.....

caled
26-01-12, 09:32 AM
Won't we all look silly if the car suffered a tyre blow out...

My point earlier though, was that if they have to chase down escaping cars they a. will need decent cars in which to do it (I doubt a Fiesta would do very well) b. will need to keep on top of fast driving in realistic environments, a skill which would otherwise deteriorate without practice. Given that they will have to give high speed chase at some point, Id rather they were practised in doing so.

We're all car enthusiasts, and as such we all would like the freedom to drive fast. But we don't need to do it for our job, this isn't a 'do what we say, no what we do' scenario.

Boot Hill Bandit
26-01-12, 11:04 AM
Hmmmm.............on relection even the best of drivers have binned their cars........a certain Schumacher was famous for it.......and the Friday practice smasher Vettel is known for it also. I still stand by testing a car to its limits can be done on track. Roads are a variable quantity and by that nature it is pointless is it not? :unsure:

If the car failed, fair enough..........but the internal investigation will hopefully show whether the car was taken beyond its limits unreasonably or whether a part failed because it was defective. I do wish that if a car was being tested it just wasn't done on public roads is all.

I respect the Police for the jobs they do and I myself could never do it. I'm glad the driver is okay now and recovering which I did forget to say in my first post.

Smokey
26-01-12, 11:26 AM
Thonk Dan said it all to be honest. It's a tough call either way and as a company, the police will always be under more scrutiny than most. Which is why it makes the papers so often. Glad nobody was seriously hurt though.

Sonic_160zr
29-01-12, 09:10 PM
I do think that the police are in a no-win situation here, I think that sometimes they have to do some of there testing on the streets rather than on the track. Im sure they had good reason to test on the roads rather than the track in this instance.

Luckly no one was injured, but I will be intersted to see what the report finds.

Cheers,
Matt