PDA

View Full Version : Rover 420D

mattie007
25-01-12, 10:17 PM
My mate has just bought a ZS so wants rid of his shed.
Its free to anyone who wants it.

Its not in the best of condition but somehow passes the MOT every year.
Id say it would need new rear bushes and calipers as they are sticking.

Based in Kettering

Stephen
25-01-12, 10:39 PM
Tell him to swap the injectors over! if its an SDI

mattie007
25-01-12, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt know mate but its a 97R model. Its the slowest car I have ever driven.

Stephen
25-01-12, 11:01 PM
Iv got a set of SDI injectors in my ZS from an 420 SDI and it shifts!!

find out if it is and get them changed :)

Raises smoke level alot though!

http://i42.tinypic.com/jhy6ag.jpg

ZS Phil
26-01-12, 08:56 AM
How bad is it and how much mot and tax are on it?

Dan1971
26-01-12, 08:57 AM

It's free FFS !

Boot Hill Bandit
26-01-12, 09:06 AM

Post of the day!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Erm........to you........£250 :laugh:

Thanks for making my day Phil :)

mattie007
26-01-12, 01:19 PM
Ha! It's £500 now ;)
MOT till end of April, no tax.
Can get some pictures if you like?

Stevedx
26-01-12, 02:25 PM
Can you get me a pic, my bro in law is desperate for a car!

mattie007
26-01-12, 03:02 PM
Yeh will do, I'm going round tomorrow.

Funkypunky
26-01-12, 04:16 PM
id be interested in it. if its free lol

mattie007
26-01-12, 04:36 PM
He will leave the last 4 months tax on it for £50.

Funkypunky
26-01-12, 04:52 PM
ok ill take it for £50 please when can i come and collect it

ZS Phil
26-01-12, 05:07 PM
It's free FFS !

Indeed, however as an enforcer of the law I'm sure you can appreciate that tax and MOT are legal requirements to drive a car on the public highway hence the relevant question was asked.
Since driving it home would be necessary, as somebody who changes their car more than their bed I would have thought the logistics of doing this were second nature by now. Furthermore I don't know about you but I'm not in favour of risking my life in a death trap (even if it's a free death trap) hence the question of how bad is it.

Love how everyone jumped on the bandwagon with this as if I asked a stupid question or was taking the ****. Free or not they are questions which HAVE to be asked and are perfectly justified :)

mattie007
26-01-12, 05:56 PM
I understand Phil, we were just having a bit of banter :)

Just to put people in the picture.....

Calipers sticking
Front passenger seatbelt doesn't clip in
Front light needs a kick to come on
Pedal box is broken, affects just the throttle. However it is drivable and has been like this since my mate had it 2 years ago.

Returns 45mpg
Alloys
Towbar

Funkypunky
26-01-12, 06:03 PM
hi i am still interested if you could let me know when i can collect it please

mattie007
26-01-12, 07:16 PM
To be fair, I will have to let Ian and Steve have first dibs.

Few pics....

http://i42.tinypic.com/2itj7h5.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wc3b51.jpg

Funkypunky
26-01-12, 07:30 PM
ok could you please let me know what happens thanks

Dan1971
26-01-12, 07:56 PM
Indeed, however as an enforcer of the law I'm sure you can appreciate that tax and MOT are legal requirements to drive a car on the public highway hence the relevant question was asked.
Since driving it home would be necessary, as somebody who changes their car more than their bed I would have thought the logistics of doing this were second nature by now. Furthermore I don't know about you but I'm not in favour of risking my life in a death trap (even if it's a free death trap) hence the question of how bad is it.

Love how everyone jumped on the bandwagon with this as if I asked a stupid question or was taking the ****. Free or not they are questions which HAVE to be asked and are perfectly justified :)

Sorry pal ... just made me chuckle. I meant no offence, and we all agree the car must be legal to go on the road.

Stevedx
27-01-12, 10:23 AM
pics arent working for me?

ZS
27-01-12, 11:16 AM
To be fair, I will have to let Ian and Steve have first dibs.

Few pics....

Its the green 400 right? Seems a bargain :p

ZS Phil
27-01-12, 12:05 PM
Sorry pal ... just made me chuckle. I meant no offence, and we all agree the car must be legal to go on the road.

lol no worries, I can see how it might have seemed a bit cheeky but just wanted to justify why I asked :)

If this is available still I would love to take it on as a project, always had a soft spot for the 400. I would bite his hand off for £50.

mattie007
27-01-12, 03:05 PM
I'll try and add some close up photos later and add his contact details.

ZS Phil
27-01-12, 03:10 PM
I'll try and add some close up photos later and add his contact details.

Sounds good to me!

thestribb
27-01-12, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, just joined the forums after my recent lovely purchase. It's my Rover in question here so thought I'd summarise a few of the points of it:

It's a P reg 420 SD, not the SDI, drives fine for it's age, just needs some work really. The brakes will need replacing, as will the clutch more than likely very soon, the bodywork is the main problem, it's very scratched up, dented, etc, but mechanically it's ok. I took it to a garage that I trust and they said that mechanically it's sound, one of the best they'd seen for a Rover of it's age.

I want it gone really as the new MG has taken it's place, and I don't want it just sat out on the road rusting and costing me money in tax and insurance, hence the need to get shot of it. It does have tax on it, although I'm looking at getting a refund on it to go towards the cost of the new MG, although if someone wants the car they're welcome to pay the £60 that's left on it and I'll leave it on there. I've had a quote from WBAC for £105 (although I tend not to trust their valuations too much) and a scrap dealer for £70, but I'd rather see it go to a useful home, so if someone wants it, they can for £80 all in with the tax thrown in too. Message me if you want any more details.

Cheers,

Neil