PDA

View Full Version : 180 or diesel?

mgbircher
25-01-12, 10:33 PM
Ive got a 52 reg standard zs diesel with 12 months mot and 6 months tax and 94k but i may have a chance of swapping for a 02 reg zs 180 with all the belts done just serviced and a few other jobs done and 6 month mot and tax with 82k, would i be mad to swap my trusty good old mpg diesel or would it be a good deal what do people think??
Any advice would be appreciated cheers

Stev180
25-01-12, 10:36 PM
Depends if you can afford the drop in MPG! Consider the other things like wear and tear to the interior and bodywork.

mgbircher
25-01-12, 10:42 PM
Interior and bodywork looks pretty good on the 180 and mine is in good nick, if i was to sell it on do diesels sell better than 180s? and what are the 180s like on fuel as far as v6s go?

Bobdope2002
26-01-12, 05:22 AM
Rubbish in comparison against a v6........I'd stick to ya derv do some mods and you can have not far off the same power as a 180

adriansargent
26-01-12, 06:08 AM
I think I'd be tempted to swap my 180 for a nice diesel one lol

vanishing days
26-01-12, 06:46 AM
If you want performance then go for a 180 but bare in mind there not cheap to run In comparison to diesel

Stuart
26-01-12, 06:57 AM
The way prices are going these days you would probably be better off selling your diesel and buying a newer 180 and pocketing the change! or using it to pay for the road tax on the 180.

Just my opinion. :smile2:

vanishing days
26-01-12, 07:41 AM
Just as an example I use my car for work so has an even mixture of town and motorway driving and i average at 27 mpg a tank can get 35mpg on a long motorway journey

Dan1971
26-01-12, 08:50 AM
Such a huge issue - Petrol V6 against Diesel.

I've had both.

The V6 will reward you with a great noise and speed that pushes you into the back of your seat so long as the car is in good shape and the vis motors working correctly....and....20 mpg if you drive it hard - 30+ if you don't.

The diesel will always sound horrible in comparison. Yes it can be disguised by a nice backbox and decat, but it'll still clatter like a tractor. Pete has a tuned one currently and mine was tuned to just over 150 bhp very cheaply. As a result it felt really quick and the in gear acceleration was easily on par with if not better than any V6 I owned - and I've had 3 .... and 50+mpg in standard tune - getting down to 40 in the state of tune I had.

The issue is - how many miles do you do and when you do them, what do you look for in the drive ?

So - here's where I am - If it's just an A to B - get a diesel. If it's A to B but it's not that far and I'd like a bit of fun on the way - it's a V6.

Hope that helps ....

ZS Phil
26-01-12, 08:51 AM
The simple answer is yes, you would be mad. Just take a look on eBay, autotrader and pistonheads, the diesels hold a decent premium over a 180 and for good reason, the are dirt cheap to run in comparison.
Stick some sdi injectors in you's, turn up boost to 19 psi, de cat and remap then take a 180 for a drive. The only thing you gain is the v6 sound tbh but if you do the above mods the derv doesnt sound bad, a nice bit of turbo whistle.
Having owned both I can safely say the only way of consider another 180 would be if it had LPG but even on LPG you will be luck to get 160 bhp so either way I'm better off with my diesel.

Dan1971
26-01-12, 08:53 AM
The simple answer is yes, you would be mad. Just take a look on eBay, autotrader and pistonheads, the diesels hold a decent premium over a 180 and for good reason, the are dirt cheap to run in comparison.
Stick some sdi injectors in you's, turn up boost to 19 psi, de cat and remap then take a 180 for a drive. The only thing you gain is the v6 sound tbh but if you do the above mods the derv doesnt sound bad, a nice bit of turbo whistle.
Having owned both I can safely say the only way of consider another 180 would be if it had LPG but even on LPG you will be luck to get 160 bhp so either way I'm better off with my diesel.

Think you'll find that Clive's LPG 180 with a remap still ran close to 190 bhp on LPG.

peterzs
26-01-12, 12:27 PM
If money isnt a issue I'd stick to the derv, lots of savings over the 180's.

Road Fund Tax, insurance, mpg, 159 bhp and 234 ft/lbs torque, dont think I'd swap my Mk2.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

ian zs180
26-01-12, 01:40 PM
Myself i would sell the derv then get a newer 180 . As people have said depends on what you want and if money is an issue . Myself i couldnt own a derv the sound and smell just put me off and when you boot them they leave a cloud of smoke behind them for this reason i wouldnt have one . But if you want cheapish motoring then maybe stick with the derv as the 180s can be quite expensive to run ,,fuel ,, tax,, insurance etc . Like others say you can get good power out of a derv with a few mods so my conclusion is if money aint an issue the 180 if it is stick with the derv

p_b82
26-01-12, 02:01 PM
i personally would say stick to the derv.....

If you fancy a 180 maybe get one on a limited milege policy and run it for a short while to help decide.

If you chose to do so with a good condition car with the belts done i can't imagine you would losse out too much in costs if you hunted around for a bit....

I know i would miss the running costs if i went petrol, and my performance is not that far off a 180 now - if/when i can use all it's potental once more....

for me it is only the noise that would make me want one really.... i am far too lazy and like wafting around on the torque splurge that the diesel gives you..... and i also like the puff of smoke once you boot it a bit ;)

vanishing days
26-01-12, 02:18 PM
One other thing to bare in mind is tuning a car may well make it faster but it's important to remember you very rarely get your money back when selling the car on. And depending on how far you go reliabilty may become a problem

ZS Phil
26-01-12, 05:27 PM
Think you'll find that Clive's LPG 180 with a remap still ran close to 190 bhp on LPG.

That car was amazing, drool...
190bhp on LPG is impressive since its generally accepted that you lose at leat 10%. I based 160bhp on a standard 180 (177 bhp when new), take 10% and you have just shy of 160.

ZS Phil
26-01-12, 05:29 PM
One other thing to bare in mind is tuning a car may well make it faster but it's important to remember you very rarely get your money back when selling the car on. And depending on how far you go reliabilty may become a problem

Agreed, that applies to any tuning. At least the derv mods are very cheap and have proven reliability untill you start putting hybrid turbos on.

Bobdope2002
26-01-12, 05:43 PM
That car was amazing, drool...
190bhp on LPG is impressive since its generally accepted that you lose at leat 10%. I based 160bhp on a standard 180 (177 bhp when new), take 10% and you have just shy of 160.

my old car :(

:laugh:

talkingcars
26-01-12, 05:56 PM
Ive got a 52 reg standard zs diesel with 12 months mot and 6 months tax and 94k but i may have a chance of swapping for a 02 reg zs 180 with all the belts done just serviced and a few other jobs done and 6 month mot and tax with 82k, would i be mad to swap my trusty good old mpg diesel or would it be a good deal what do people think??
Any advice would be appreciated cheers

You have a newer car with a long MOT but slightly higher mileage.
You've been offered an older car with a shorter MOT that was 3 years over due for a belt change and has needed other work.

Add to that the fact that an identicle diesel is worth more than a 180 I guess the 180 owner realises he is onto a better deal if he swaps..........

You decide ;)

Bobdope2002
26-01-12, 07:00 PM
You have a newer car with a long MOT but slightly higher mileage.
You've been offered an older car with a shorter MOT that was 3 years over due for a belt change and has needed other work.

Add to that the fact that an identicle diesel is worth more than a 180 I guess the 180 owner realises he is onto a better deal if he swaps..........

You decide ;)

exactly what i was thinking mate

daytona365
26-01-12, 08:07 PM
180 all the way....................Diesels may be cheaper, but who the hell buys a ZS to save money. Buy a Prius. I love my PETROL 180. One major cost saving, just look at the price of petrol v diesel per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Full tank for £55, and two months of absolute HEAVEN.............................

Thats just my opinion lol...........:yes::ike::yes:

Dan1971
26-01-12, 08:13 PM
180 all the way....................Diesels may be cheaper, but who the hell buys a ZS to save money. Buy a Prius. I love my PETROL 180. One major cost saving, just look at the price of petrol v diesel per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Full tank for £55, and two months of absolute HEAVEN.............................

Thats just my opinion lol...........:yes::ike::yes:

100 miles a month - hardly worth having a car !

:fishing:

daytona365
26-01-12, 08:19 PM
100 miles a month - hardly worth having a car !

:fishing:

LOL............In a perfect Orwell world, we would none of us need cars.

Look at me, I walk to work, my mum lives round the corner, the shops are under my flat, dentist and doctors over the road, plenty of friends who can give me lifts, three bus routes all stop round the corner, walk to railway station and up to London. Why do I need a car?

Simple.....I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could spend hours just looking at my car, all my cars have always been items of joy, not means to travel.

Confuscious say: You can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.

talkingcars
26-01-12, 10:17 PM
The OP already has the diesel, he was offered a swap on what appears to be a less valuable 180.

mgbircher
30-01-12, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice everybody, ive decided to be sensible and stick with my trusty diesel,
Andy