PDA

View Full Version : need some ideas..............

steven.winder
27-01-12, 08:33 PM
I have just got a Britisg racing green 120+ and need some ideas of how to modify it a little to make an improvement and fill the nights I have spare, its totaly standard now and has just had full service and needs cambelt and cam shaft oil seals (doing tomorrow) then I have nothing else to do. Any Ideas will be greatly received as long as there not too chavy like full jap style kit and 20"" rims with neons haha. Thanks in advance. :gathering:

magpie67
27-01-12, 08:38 PM
Be interesting to see the replies i've got a 120 saloon in trophy blue !!

steven.winder
27-01-12, 08:48 PM
Mine is a hatch so not much that won't be the same. As I have never owned an MG I am not sure what are the usual places to improve....

Ritchy
27-01-12, 09:02 PM
post some pictures up, helps for planning:) personally less is more for me, so id get the standard 180 bodykit on it, standard 17" straight alloys coated either black or grey, slightly lowered, set of rover 45 front lights, very light tints on the back windows, fresh numberplates, janspeed exhaust system, k&n panel filter lol, ehhhh. 180 front and rear brakes painted either black, silver or a dark gold

steven.winder
27-01-12, 09:07 PM
Will post some pics tomorrow after a good clean and fettle, less is more in my books to, like the standard look but when people who know there stuff will notice the little touches.

BUCKYDEVIL
27-01-12, 09:40 PM
little thing's like new Badges make it nice n fresh.

steven.winder
27-01-12, 09:45 PM
Yeah new badges are required saw them on ebay for very little just never ordered yet.

ZS Phil
27-01-12, 09:47 PM
There is loads you can do to these and still keep them looking factory, the Rover parts bin is fairly interchangable between models.
Looks wise if its not got the v6 splitter and skirts (asuming its a MK1) they are a must in my opinion to get it looking like its a bit lower. 17" wheels help with this too (MK1 straights or MK2 11 spokes to keep it looking o.e). If it doesnt have fogs you can add those and maybe put some 45 front lights on if you dont like the orange indicators.
Performance wise there is the usual air filter/ exhaust mods but on an otherwise standard 120 there is no point for the cost other than sound/ looks. If you want most bang per buck get a complete VVC cylinder head off a ZR/ TF 160, wiring loom and ECU which will see you to 158 bhp and is all plug and play for less than £500 easy.
You could then fit bigger brakes either straight off a 180 or use 620ti calipers with 180 front discs which gives you slightly larger surface area however you have to gring the carriers slightly to accomidate the slightly wider ZS discs.
There are loads of other mods you can do but that should give you an idea for now :)

steven.winder
27-01-12, 09:57 PM
Yeah 180 kit looks appealing, can you get just the splitters or is it a full bumper replacment? Also are the skirts a direct fit to the hatchback? Cheers

ChrisG
27-01-12, 10:04 PM
Alright mate, just to let you know I am based in Carlisle and have loads of ZS parts available if you ever need anything. Unfortunately Ive sold my 180 side skirts but I still have a set of 17inch straights and loads of bits of trim and body panels, some in BRG too. Let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

Ritchy
27-01-12, 10:06 PM
splitter is seperate and all the sideskirts are the same, for the mk1, they unclip then slide off

steven.winder
27-01-12, 10:10 PM
Alright mate, just to let you know I am based in Carlisle and have loads of ZS parts available if you ever need anything. Unfortunately Ive sold my 180 side skirts but I still have a set of 17inch straights and loads of bits of trim and body panels, some in BRG too. Let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

Spot on mate, I'm at Cockermouth so just down the road, I am getting the mechanicals sorted before I get any styling done so you may get a message in a few weeks time if I have any cash left haha

ChrisG
27-01-12, 10:13 PM
Spot on mate, I'm at Cockermouth so just down the road, I am getting the mechanicals sorted before I get any styling done so you may get a message in a few weeks time if I have any cash left haha

Not a problem mate, just give me a holla if you think you might need anything, out and about a lot with work these days too so chances are I will be passing by anyway so could drop stuff off

Cheers

steven.winder
27-01-12, 10:16 PM
splitter is seperate and all the sideskirts are the same, for the mk1, they unclip then slide off

That's good to know, like nice easy jobs for maximum output

steven.winder
27-01-12, 10:19 PM
Not a problem mate, just give me a holla if you think you might need anything, out and about a lot with work these days too so chances are I will be passing by anyway so could drop stuff off

Cheers

No worries mate, thanks a lot, out of interest how much do streights go for and what are yours like? Thanks

ChrisG
27-01-12, 10:38 PM
Vary, from around £100 to £160 for a set, some people ask more if they have been refurbished etc, was looking for around £140 for mine as the tyres have loads of tread left. Wheels have a few kerb marks and a little peeling. Will get some pics up later this weekend

steven.winder
27-01-12, 10:43 PM
Spot on mate, I might have some sooner rather than later

steven.winder
28-01-12, 05:55 PM
Got the rocker gasket sorted today, still got to sort out the exhaust blow in the morning and now realised I need a coil pack as mine is arcing on one lead. Will be glad to get it sorted. Any advice on where to get a coil pack from??