PDA

View Full Version : Buying a ZS

ViT
29-01-12, 08:23 PM
I'm starting to consider getting a MK2 180, I just love the idea of a car that handles better than a ZR, and sounds the business down a tunnel :punk:

So, whilst this seed is firmly planted in my mind, I need to start thinking about what to look out for so I need your help, stuff I know about:

1) VIS motors - How can you tell if they are gone? For someone who's not a afraid to get in their with a soldering iron, is this an easy job?

2) Clutch, I know they fail commonly but how, why and what do I need to look for?

3) Thermostat - Apparently made of plastic and fail easily. How do you check them? And WHY are they at the centre of the "V"?

What have I missed? :D

Cheers guys :)

daytona365
29-01-12, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the site, you will find plenty of answers to your questions........I wont comment as mine is a MK1 lol.

Steves Cleenz
30-01-12, 08:52 AM
I'm starting to consider getting a MK2 180, I just love the idea of a car that handles better than a ZR, and sounds the business down a tunnel :punk:

So, whilst this seed is firmly planted in my mind, I need to start thinking about what to look out for so I need your help, stuff I know about:

1) VIS motors - How can you tell if they are gone? For someone who's not a afraid to get in their with a soldering iron, is this an easy job?

the best way to tell is to take it for a spin, you should get a kick in power at 3.5k rpm and 4k rpm, also if it is very flat under 3.5k rpm it could mean that the manifold is buggered (butterflys closed all the time or stuck open wich could be VIS motors)

2) Clutch, I know they fail commonly but how, why and what do I need to look for?

High biting point, very little peddle movement before the clutch need to bite, it fails as its all made of plastic, about £80 for new hydrolics or £150 IIRC for the sheddist kit

3) Thermostat - Apparently made of plastic and fail easily. How do you check them? And WHY are they at the centre of the "V"?

look under the engine cover and you can see right into the V, look for signs of coolant there or dampness

What have I missed? :D

Cheers guys :)

answers in red Matt also

Cam belts, big job and big money to have them done! average price is about £400

MG6Turbo
30-01-12, 09:16 AM
Mk2 bcu is another common problem.

Check drivers window works up and down. If it doesnt, then the relay located within the bcu has most likely failed.

Heated rear window is also another common failure on the mk2, which again is down to a relay located in the bcu.

Spotlights not working, again bcu.

Bcu up till now was replace and not repair, however, there are now relay kits available for home repair if you are good with a soldering iron.

George