PDA

View Full Version : Alarm going off whilst driving.

Sonic_160zr
29-01-12, 08:57 PM
Ok so Ive had the car for about a month now and Its been pretty much trouble free the whole time...... Until today.

I drove to Bolton for the North West meet with rovertech (about 50/60 miles) and as I was getting off the motorway an alarm started to sound coming from under the bonnet. It wasnt the usuall rover two tone car alarm more like a siren going off right below the driver side A pillar under the header tank.

It continued to go off until the car was locked and then it was fine, it hasnt gone off since. Do the ZS suffer similar BCU faults to the other Mk2 models as it sounds to me like it could be that.

No warning lights on the dash came on, the car didnt make any other sounds and it didnt loose performance.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,
Matt

Jem
29-01-12, 09:01 PM
Soggy Sounder maybe?

I had a problem with mine last summer turned out it was soaking wet.

petet16
29-01-12, 09:02 PM
Yep, you have soggy sounder syndrome, if you lift the expansion tank out of the way the alarm sounder lives underneath, the cure is to remove the sounder and put it somewhere warm to dry out, then seal it with some silicone to prevent a reoccurence.

Sonic_160zr
29-01-12, 09:14 PM
Soggy Sounder maybe?

I had a problem with mine last summer turned out it was soaking wet.

Yep, you have soggy sounder syndrome, if you lift the expansion tank out of the way the alarm sounder lives underneath, the cure is to remove the sounder and put it somewhere warm to dry out, then seal it with some silicone to prevent a reoccurence.

Thanks for that... so its not a big problem to fix then? like the BCU unit?

I had washed the car before I left so that might have caused it. I wasnt raining today either. Where abouts am I applying the sealant too? or will it be plainly obv when I take it out.

Cheers,
Matt

Jay-ZS+
29-01-12, 09:42 PM
No simple fix, under the expansion bottle, a black box with the sounder unit in. Water gets in and makes the alarm go nuts. Split it open and dry it out then refit. Might be worth drilling a tiny drain hole in the bottom after you have dried it out and sealed it. The sealant is just for round the split line when you reassemble it.

Might want some earplugs when you go to disconnect it incase it goes off whilst your heads under the bonnet.

Sonic_160zr
29-01-12, 09:43 PM
No simple fix, under the expansion bottle, a black box with the sounder unit in. Water gets in and makes the alarm go nuts. Split it open and dry it out then refit. Might be worth drilling a tiny drain hole in the bottom after you have dried it out and sealed it.

Might want some earplugs when you go to disconnect it incase it goes off whilst your heads under the bonnet.

Yea it was deafening when I was sat in the car so I wont take any chances.

Thanks Jay!

Cheers,
Matt

KevG
29-01-12, 10:01 PM
I have a few of the better sounders from the early Mk2 ZS's

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=229195&postcount=1

R8NMG
30-01-12, 10:42 AM
It's an easy fix. But I went and bought a new sounder instead as the old one looked beyond repair. With the new sounder I did the preventative work before fitting though, hopefully all will be well in the future.

Sonic_160zr
30-01-12, 07:08 PM
I have a few of the better sounders from the early Mk2 ZS's

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=229195&postcount=1

Thanks for that Kev, Ill have a look at the sounder when I get a spare 30 mins, and see if it can be fixed.

Cheers,
Matt