PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes

Ritchy
12-12-11, 06:51 PM
just dont let the resevior run dry when bleeding, if you get air in the system it can be a complete disaster to get it back out again if it gets stuck in the abs modulator

KirkJames
01-02-12, 03:11 AM
How do I do this guys, any ideas or is there a guide knocking about. Getting some discs/pads for my 180 for the rear but the fronts don't look too bad but they are a bit spongy.
Can I do it on my own, or do I have to have someone else help?

Dav
01-02-12, 06:32 AM
You can get one-man brake bleeding kits, but I find having someone else with you is helpful. Just get a brake bleeding set, which usually has all you need, fit the small PVC pipe over the bleed nipple on the calliper and loosen it. Then get your helper to slowly pump the brake until clean, fresh fluid is coming thru, then tighten up the nipple. Top up the reservoir with new fluid and bobs your uncle ;) Ovie that is per wheel, and there is a certain order in which to do it, which I'm sure some one else knows :)

gary471
01-02-12, 08:40 AM
Normally start furthermost from the resevoir, ie nsr, osr, nsf, osf
Always worked for me

KirkJames
01-02-12, 08:49 AM
That sounds too simple, I am weary when things appear straight forward. The car gremlins stick their oar in sometimes lol
Thanks tho guys that sounds very do-able! ;)
Oh.....do I need dot 3 or 4? or even 5??

steven.winder
01-02-12, 09:54 AM
If your just doing pads and discs and not removing brake lines then they won't need bled mate :)

SARENG
01-02-12, 10:34 AM
If your just doing pads and discs and not removing brake lines then they won't need bled mate
True but brake fluid should be replaced every couple of years anyway so pad/disc change is a good time to do that as well. Just my thoughts anyway.:smile1:

steven.winder
01-02-12, 10:44 AM
Fair play if you don't know the history of the car its worth doing just to be on the safe side.

Captain Peanut
01-02-12, 01:16 PM
If it helps I can email you the relevant pages from the Haynes manual, just PM me your address.

gary471
01-02-12, 03:35 PM
As mentioned in original post theyre a bit spongy.
For the sake of 10mins its worth bleeding them in my opinion.
Ive never had any issues bleeding my brakes that way, even bled them the night befor a track day and they were spot on

KirkJames
01-02-12, 05:22 PM
As mentioned in original post theyre a bit spongy.
For the sake of 10mins its worth bleeding them in my opinion.
Ive never had any issues bleeding my brakes that way, even bled them the night befor a track day and they were spot on

That's the main reason for bleeding them. I wouldn't of bothered otherwise. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Captain Peanut, I have acquired a Haynes, but thanks for the offer mate.