PDA

View Full Version : BRM dead so looking for a ZS 180

Nobrainer
04-02-12, 11:01 PM
The engine in my BRM has gone pop and I fancy a change so I'm looking for a ZS 180. Low mileage, subtle colour and priced reasonably please. Mk 1 or 2 I don't mind. I'm in Southampton.

Thanks

welshone
05-02-12, 06:36 AM
The engine in my BRM has gone pop and I fancy a change so I'm looking for a ZS 180. Low mileage, subtle colour and priced reasonably please. Mk 1 or 2 I don't mind. I'm in Southampton.

Thanks

Welcome to the V6 side ;)

talkingcars
05-02-12, 07:54 AM
Hi and welcome.

What happened to the BRM?

peterzs
05-02-12, 10:21 AM
Hi and :hi:

Plenty of good 180's out there, make sure the belts have been done, or knock of ££'s if the price is high. Clutch is working OK, ABS and brakes, thermostat housing in the V hasnt got any orangey gunk round it. Carpets arnt wet.

Nobrainer
05-02-12, 10:48 AM
I think the oil filter in the brm blocked. Didn't have the garage spend too much time looking once he determined it was going to be expensive as it wasn't in top condition.

whats the deal with the zs leaking? Is it something easily fixed? And orangey gunk, do you mean hgf? I didn't think the v6 was prone to that?

talkingcars
05-02-12, 11:18 AM
the V6 is prone to thermostst housing failure, which if left unfixed, leads to HGF.

It is a simple fix but requires half the engine to be stripped to get to it as it sits in the Vee, visual sign is coolant in the vee.

MG6Turbo
05-02-12, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't say the v6 is prone to thermostat failure.

In all the zs 180s I've owned and that's probably more than any member on here, I have yet to have one fail on me.

I have replaced a few on zt v6 but then I have replaced a few v6 engines in a zt.

The 180 v6 doesn't normally suffer coolant issues.

So I don't agree with the prone to statement.

Also please bear in mind the first zs is now 11 years old so it's entitled to have wear issues with the likes of seals pumps and thermostats.

I remember the old ford pinto engines with the dreaded spray bar failure causing the cam to run dry of oil. They used to go at 30k

The kv6 is a relatively robust engine.

G

ZRed
05-02-12, 11:38 AM
Coolant leaks from the thermostat housing and associated pipework are very common on the KV6.

peterzs
05-02-12, 11:52 AM
Better to mention it, even if its not too common. I have read of a few that needed doing.

Then if you do have problems with the thermostat housing, take care how you take off the fuel rail, some say dont undo the O rings, remove as a unit.

MG6Turbo
05-02-12, 11:57 AM
Sorry Gea but disagree.

I've been working with the Kv6 since it was introduced in the rover 800.

If you was to put it into perspective and look at engine units produced and then compare the amount of units that had thermostat issues then it would be a very small proportion. So it would not make it common or mean that the engine had failings.

Most kv6s have now covered 100k + so are now having signs of things that are now requiring replacement.

G

carmadbaker
05-02-12, 01:13 PM
You have a reply to an earlier PM :-)

ZRed
05-02-12, 03:08 PM
Sorry Gea but disagree.

I've been working with the Kv6 since it was introduced in the rover 800.

If you was to put it into perspective and look at engine units produced and then compare the amount of units that had thermostat issues then it would be a very small proportion. So it would not make it common or mean that the engine had failings.

Most kv6s have now covered 100k + so are now having signs of things that are now requiring replacement.

G

It isn`t usually a terminal failure, but certainly a common problem. Ask any rover dealership or even xpart distributer what commonly sells. From ZS to Freelander, raises it`s ugly head throughout the range.

talkingcars
05-02-12, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't say the v6 is prone to thermostat failure.

In all the zs 180s I've owned and that's probably more than any member on here, I have yet to have one fail on me.

I have replaced a few on zt v6 but then I have replaced a few v6 engines in a zt.

The 180 v6 doesn't normally suffer coolant issues.

So I don't agree with the prone to statement.

Also please bear in mind the first zs is now 11 years old so it's entitled to have wear issues with the likes of seals pumps and thermostats.

I remember the old ford pinto engines with the dreaded spray bar failure causing the cam to run dry of oil. They used to go at 30k

The kv6 is a relatively robust engine.

G

Calm down George - the OP was asking about HGF, the most likely reason on the KV6 is the thermostat housing failing leading to a loss of coolant.

Any engine will fail if low on coolant.

Maybe prone wasn't the correct word, I proberbly used it as the previous poster did.

Nobrainer
05-02-12, 08:53 PM
the V6 is prone to thermostst housing failure, which if left unfixed, leads to HGF.

It is a simple fix but requires half the engine to be stripped to get to it as it sits in the Vee, visual sign is coolant in the vee.

That doesn't sound like a simple fix! When you say strip half the engine I presume you mean ancillary bits rather than head off!:unsure:

KevG
05-02-12, 08:57 PM
Its very easy job, just a few rather large bits to remove then the Vee is accessible.

Nobrainer
05-02-12, 09:17 PM
OK cheers I shall be trying to avoid cars with problems as I'd like a car that has been loved as the hammered ones aren't much cheaper.

Ritchy
05-02-12, 09:29 PM
indeeed, or buy one thats completely dead for pennies and rebuild it

martin 2012
16-02-12, 07:20 PM
still after a mg zs 180? have on in grey, good cond, all belts etc changed with receipts ;)

Nobrainer
16-02-12, 07:28 PM
I have one now thanks

ZS
17-02-12, 08:30 AM
Have you scrapped the BRM now? if not I could be interested in taking it off your hands.... :)

Nobrainer
17-02-12, 09:22 AM
Have you scrapped the BRM now? if not I could be interested in taking it off your hands.... :)

Its still here. What were you thinking? I have had quite a few offers for various bits so I need to start stripping it fairly soon (I was going to start in about 10 mins)
James

Taphouse
18-02-12, 08:10 AM
I am sorry to here about the BRM, I was only thinking about it the other day. I was thinking I may get another as my daily. Good to here you have kept it in the MGR family, if you need an help with anything with 180 you know I am not to far away.

Andy

Nobrainer
26-02-12, 06:19 PM
I am sorry to here about the BRM, I was only thinking about it the other day. I was thinking I may get another as my daily. Good to here you have kept it in the MGR family, if you need an help with anything with 180 you know I am not to far away.

Andy

Cheers mate. Looks like I've got a buyer for the car who wants to fix it up so hopefully it will stay on the road. Are you around at all this week? It would be nice to have a slightly more knowledgable opinion on the ZS. Cheers

Taphouse
27-02-12, 07:40 PM
Cheers mate. Looks like I've got a buyer for the car who wants to fix it up so hopefully it will stay on the road. Are you around at all this week? It would be nice to have a slightly more knowledgable opinion on the ZS. Cheers

I am around all week yes, and would be happy to help. I am not around at the weekend though.