PDA

View Full Version : Not a ZS, but a ZT

archermav
06-02-12, 10:25 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320840275230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1456wt_1396

Righto,
I think I want a ZT next, but I'm ashamed to say, the 1.8 T. Other than the obvious HG, they seem damn cheap for what you get. I've no need of performance, will never own a diesel, and just want something around £1500.

Am I mad:judge:

peterzs
06-02-12, 10:32 PM
Yep, get a derv, great cars, go well low tax and insurance, plus goodish mpg.

Agree with you, do get a lot of car for your money with the ZT. The derv has the BMW engine that can be tweaked without costing megabucks!!!

archermav
06-02-12, 10:55 PM
I have no desire to drive a derv. My office is a 330d, and I loath and detest it. Horrible horrible car.

I was looking at the 190's, but insurance is rather high, even for an old fart like me.

stamford
07-02-12, 07:05 AM
Looks nice, short MOT but I guess if the price is right then that's acceptable.

ZS
07-02-12, 07:59 AM
I have no desire to drive a derv. My office is a 330d, and I loath and detest it. Horrible horrible car.

I was looking at the 190's, but insurance is rather high, even for an old fart like me.

I have a 75 CDT Tourer, TBH it was terrible with 115bhp and I almost got rid of it... After a few service items (that should have been done but were not) and upgrading the MAF + fitting a synergy 2 it is a completely different car :) Still pushes 55mpg on motorway rund (I think it could do better still as well) and is deffo pushing much more power... how much more I am not sure, will have to get it rolling roaded at some point.

However I understand your problem with the Derv's :)

As for the 1.8T... I, personally, wouldn't touch one with a barge pole... IMO they are money pits :)

When you get HGF it will starve the turbo of oil, you will then fix the HG and find a couple of hundred miles down the road you have a dead turbo. They suffer from Sticking waste gates, which can be Scary as you loose all power mid acceleration then its given to you all at once for a split second, feels like someone has driven into the back of you.

That said, if you maintain it well, monitor the levels every day, ensure it is warmed up properly every trip and don't rag it then you *should* find it is quite a nice car.

Oh and there are one or two issues that get mis-diagnosed on these engines. Most mechanics will jump and say "HGF" as soon as they see water loss etc... sometimes it is not HGF, but a manifold gasket, or a leaking pipe etc... so be warned and double check :)

My basis for the above is that my best friend owned a 1.8T ZT for over two years (now scrapped as it had too many engine problems) and also I have read about the same thing on another forum with almost every 1.8T ZT\75 they have :)

But don't let that stop you buying the car :) just make sure its been well maintained!

peterzs
07-02-12, 12:07 PM
Was thinking of your one ZS, when I posted about the BMW engine!!!

;););)

ZS
07-02-12, 12:41 PM
Was thinking of your one ZS, when I posted about the BMW engine!!!

;););)

If you take the stock figure of the Remap and the Synergy 2... then I probably should be close to 170bhp at the moment... really need to get it on some ramps to be sure though!

I'm currently wondering how much weight can be removed from the car without sacrificing Luxury or safety... ;)

peterzs
07-02-12, 01:13 PM
Was reading in a mag that cars with TV's will have to get them adapted for the analogue/dig change over. They were talking about buying s/h big Jag and things to look out for!!

Boot Hill Bandit
07-02-12, 07:12 PM
I think iirc.......the turbos often fail on them. Nice cars though.

archermav
07-02-12, 07:40 PM
Well, the ebay one went as I couldn't get down there (bloody silly of me not to work that out before I got interested). So, there is a silver one on .org. Had the clocks changed though, for ones with a trip? Is this normal?

peterzs
08-02-12, 10:25 AM
Can you get at the old MOT's, to check the mileage??

Could be a high miler, and knocked back.

Dan1971
08-02-12, 05:59 PM
Quality motor.

I'd go with a V6 though. The 160 would be a bit cheaper to run with all the noise of the V6 as it's gearing is different so better for touring and longer runs.