PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

KirkJames
08-02-12, 02:27 PM
When doing the rear brakes, can I undo the brake reservoir cap instead of attaching a pipe to the bleed valve. I have not got anything that I can connect to the valve. That's what I have done before on other cars.

stamford
08-02-12, 02:30 PM
Perhaps I am having a 'senior moment' but that doesn't make any sense to me..................

KirkJames
08-02-12, 02:38 PM
What I mean is, some people have said that I need to undo the bleed screw whilst pushing the piston back in but the Haynes also says to attach a pipe to the bleed screw which is then placed into a bottle. That seems a little long winded to me. Can't I just undo the cap on the reservoir to allow the piston to go back in without drawing air into the system our can I just undo the bleed screw without connecting anything to it?

Captain Peanut
08-02-12, 03:17 PM
I've always just undone the reservoir cap when doing this and never had any problems. I suppose undoing the bleed screw just means the pressure is relieved closer to the piston and therefore makes it easier.

You could undo the bleed screw with nothing attached but will end up with brake fluid everywhere.

KirkJames
08-02-12, 03:29 PM
I've always just undone the reservoir cap when doing this and never had any problems. I suppose undoing the bleed screw just means the pressure is relieved closer to the piston and therefore makes it easier.

You could undo the bleed screw with nothing attached but will end up with brake fluid everywhere.

That's cleared that up then. Thanks mate that's just the info I was after, Cheers bud!
I will be doing it tomorrow.

stamford
08-02-12, 04:03 PM
Right! No I just release the reservoir cap and push or wind the pistons back slowly.

KevG
08-02-12, 04:53 PM
Right! No I just release the reservoir cap and push or wind the pistons back slowly.

Thats what I have always done, on any car.

KirkJames
08-02-12, 05:06 PM
Cheers Guys, that's what I was after ;) :)

Smokey
08-02-12, 07:42 PM
What they said, wind piston back.

Nobrainer
09-02-12, 10:02 PM
If your bleeding the brakes you'll have to put a tube on the bleed screw anyway. And of your just changing the pads you just need to make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow. But I'm sure you've done that before :-)

talkingcars
10-02-12, 06:19 PM

Seconded, wind/push the caliper back too fast and you'll burst the seal on the piston.