PDA

View Full Version : How far from car to unlock?

Burrelly
10-02-12, 07:21 PM
How far can you be from your car to lock / unlock it? I seem to have to be within less than a meter with my fob. Is that right?

A few other cars ive tried (Not a ZS) I can unlock from at least 5 - 10 meters.

Dave

Smokey
10-02-12, 07:24 PM
Far is definitely not the best word to use lol. A few feet with full battery with all of mine!

S7000EY
10-02-12, 07:31 PM
mine was a few feet with a new battery in it but i have bought a new fob and works about 30 feet away now

daytona365
10-02-12, 07:33 PM
Must be a MGR thing, cos all of my Rover 214's always needed you be within 5 feet, adn the Zed is no different. Must be a reason for it, the Transit I drive at work you can unlock from over 20 feet away, handy when we have 5 identical vans!!!

Burrelly
10-02-12, 08:02 PM
Yeah I can only get a few feet away with it even with a new battery! Its not a huge deal but could be annoying if you walk away to fast before locking it.

Smokie
10-02-12, 08:11 PM
put the fob against your temple and it works further away don't know why it just does.
it was on Top Gear years ago lol

Burrelly
10-02-12, 08:12 PM
I will have to try that in the morning when I can be bothered leaving the flat again :-)

BUCKYDEVIL
10-02-12, 08:24 PM
I tried this when on a meet with Ritchy and stephen, think mines was worse with tinted windows but Stephens was best when he put the Fob to his head to amplify the signal..
Now Im not saying Stephen has a big nut but I do think the empty space helped.
you can mod the antenna in the fob..

Burrelly
10-02-12, 08:26 PM
You are in Cumbernauld? You are not far from me at all. I am in Muirhead :)

BUCKYDEVIL
10-02-12, 08:32 PM

I wouldnt openly bragg obout staying in muirhead if I was you mate.. Shhh !!
least you make us Scumbernauld folk look good.

Dav
10-02-12, 09:21 PM
I've basically gotta be sat in mine to unlock it lol

Although, strangely enough, locking it I can be further away :S

stamford
10-02-12, 09:22 PM
put the fob against your temple and it works further away don't know why it just does.

I've done that with mine and operated it from about 25 metres from a 1st floor office window once! The wife's MGF is the same, she couldn't lock it from the front door to the driveway, so I put the fob against my temple and locked it. She thought I was possessed! :laugh:

Burrelly
11-02-12, 07:12 AM
I wouldnt openly bragg obout staying in muirhead if I was you mate.. Shhh !!
least you make us Scumbernauld folk look good.

Well I am a hamilton guy originally so I am at least moving up in the worlds ;)

talkingcars
11-02-12, 07:22 AM
.......the Transit I drive at work you can unlock from over 20 feet away, handy when we have 5 identical vans!!!

Don't they have different registrations - you should be able to read it at 67ft with 3.5" high letters! :judge:

talkingcars
11-02-12, 07:25 AM
MGR set the range as limited to reduce the chances of false unlockings leaving the car open, at a few feet you hear the locks opening.

If you want to remove the dash you can double the length of the reciver aerial wire and improve the range.

Dav
11-02-12, 07:41 AM
Don't they have different registrations - you should be able to read it at 67ft with 3.5" high letters! :judge:

Are you saying van reg plates are different?

talkingcars
11-02-12, 07:55 AM
Are you saying van reg plates are different?

One would hope so.

Dav
11-02-12, 02:59 PM
One would hope so.

Obviously they should be different letters, but it sounds like you are saying they are a different format?

talkingcars
11-02-12, 03:12 PM
Obviously they should be different letters, but it sounds like you are saying they are a different format?

?

I said "different registrations",
not "different shape registration plates"!

petet16
11-02-12, 03:29 PM
A couple of feet before it works, although it seems better if you approach from the passenger side:wacko:

Dav
11-02-12, 03:35 PM
?

I said "different registrations",
not "different shape registration plates"!

Haha, it sounded like you meant different format plates... I'll go back to sleep ;)

grimmy
11-02-12, 03:49 PM

If you are in muirhead its probably a good thing it doesn't open until a few feet away,any further and your stereo would be gone before you get to the car

steven.winder
12-02-12, 10:24 AM
mine was a few feet with a new battery in it but i have bought a new fob and works about 30 feet away now

How much drama is it to get a new fob and key? I only have one but could do with 2? Any help would be great!!

S7000EY
12-02-12, 11:06 AM
can still get them from a ex rover dealer or ocasionaly from ebay but make sure if you buy one second hand you get the barcode for the fob and any ex rover dealer can just code it for you no problem

steven.winder
12-02-12, 05:35 PM
can still get them from a ex rover dealer or ocasionaly from ebay but make sure if you buy one second hand you get the barcode for the fob and any ex rover dealer can just code it for you no problem

Cheers mate. The ex rover dealer here still do most rover things so I will give them a try :thankyou:

coreygraham180
12-02-12, 06:13 PM
Must be a MGR thing, cos all of my Rover 214's always needed you be within 5 feet, adn the Zed is no different. Must be a reason for it, the Transit I drive at work you can unlock from over 20 feet away, handy when we have 5 identical vans!!!

well the other night i had a competition with my friend and his transit van and me in my (bmw) mini and i piped him at 29 yards away but with my old rover coupe i had to be about 2-5 feet away to lock or unlock

gibbzy2k1
13-02-12, 01:37 PM
I've basically gotta be sat in mine to unlock it lol

Although, strangely enough, locking it I can be further away :S

I have noticed the same thing with my ZS.

My 800 coupe is great though. Even used the auto closure from an upstairs window. Proper lazy!

petet16
14-02-12, 02:29 AM
When I left work just now I put the fob against my head and it unlocked from about 25 feet:cylon:

KirkJames
15-02-12, 01:43 AM

When I left work just now I put the fob against my head and it unlocked from about 25 feet:cylon:

That really does help, you look like a mental patient but it works!! :) ;)

gibbzy2k1
15-02-12, 08:17 AM
That really does help, you look like a mental patient but it works!! :) ;)

It does work, I tried it last night with the 800. I looked special walking down the car park with fob at me head but the car unlock from over 60ft away!!!

I will admit there is no need for it ti work that far away but I thought I would try it.

Bobdope2002
15-02-12, 02:09 PM
i have to sit on the roof for it to open

Burrelly
16-02-12, 10:57 AM
i have to sit on the roof for it to open

I am not that far off it myself.