PDA

View Full Version : tapping noise from cold

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 10:58 AM
Hi. I'm looking to buy a 180 but the owner has said the engine has a tapping noise from cold. Any suggestions as to what it might be? Could it be the plenum and how much is this likely to cost to get fixed?
Thanks

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 11:11 AM
It only has 35000 on the clock

petet16
11-02-12, 11:19 AM
It could just be the purge valve, they can be noisy from cold, it's hard to be sure without hearing it.

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 11:22 AM
Thanks, I haven't seen it myself yet. Just bidding on it blind :-O as its a fair distance away. If its a piece of crap when I get there I'll walk away

Boot Hill Bandit
11-02-12, 03:13 PM
Get a fellow member who knows what they are looking at to give it the once over. A top end rattle could be any number of things.

petet16
11-02-12, 03:25 PM
Where is the car located?.

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 03:40 PM
Just bought (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220947430224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

This is the car. I seem to have won it :-) Its in Luton, near the station.
Does anyone know any history for it or recognize it? I'm planning to pick it up tomorow afternoon.

talkingcars
11-02-12, 03:40 PM
Could be purge valve which is fine, VIS components which is fixable or it could be tappets or crank or similar which is more of a problem.

Where is the car, where is the advert?

talkingcars
11-02-12, 03:47 PM
Could be purge valve which is fine, VIS components which is fixable or it could be tappets or crank or similar which is more of a problem.

Where is the car, where is the advert?

Sorry, I was too late posting.

Car looks good but no mention of the tapping.

petet16
11-02-12, 03:50 PM
I saw that earlier, it doesn't mention the tapping when cold.

petet16
11-02-12, 03:53 PM
Sheddist clutch kit fitted as well, it's very likely known to someone on here or xpf.

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 03:53 PM
I've asked him lots of questions by email. The answers were:
1. The remap was a standard upgrade map, the car is not heavily modified so I could not justify the extra expense of a rolling road map. As such, I do not have dyno prints, sorry. http://www.mpmotorsportz.co.uk/ carried out the remap.
2. The dash is OK but the P/S airbag cover is warping as usual. Seats have bolster wear but it's not too bad at the moment. Carpets have a couple of small marks. I will work on pictures for you today.
3. There are a couple of small dents. One to the boot, one to the N/S R arch (That was a blue door in the car park, you can tell!)
4. Last time I saw under the car it was fine. This was when I changed the track rod ends last summer.
5. Mechanically, the car is sound. I have fitted the Sheddist clutch hydraulics as the OEM ones were starting to go. The engine pulls through the range. No holes in exhaust. The brakes where new disks in 2010 and new pads last summer. Tyres fitted last summer.
6. Car does not leak oil.
7. The VIS motors open as they should. They have not been changed yet though so they may go as the common fault that we both know they are.
8. The car has never been in an accident or written off. I have used touch-up paint for stonechips but never anything else.
9. I do not know what the symptoms would be of the plenum not functioning, I'm afraid. The motors open and you get that lovely "boost", but the plenum I don't know. Sorry.
10. The engine has a tapping noise when cold. I would be changing the oil this weekend if it didn't sell.
11. The clutch was replaced last summer (It had a bit of a refurb back then!), as I said earlier, the hydraulics have been uprated.
12. The airbox used to have a pipe to a resonating box in the N/S wing. This pulled hot air from the top of the engine back. Both pipe and box are removed (But I have them in my shed, if you want them). The airbox itself has had the bottom end cut out where the pipe originally connected. This acts as a scoop, of sorts. This has reduced the fording depth of the car, so you would be avoiding puddles, but has added a small amount of power and a large amount of noise. Wonderfully though, when not over 4,000rpm the car sounds quiet.
13. I do not have the original catalytic converter, no.
14. Modifications: Not much else. There is a USB cable running from the rear view mirror to the cigar lighter, I don't think there is anything else.
15. Door handles have never let me down, even in this weather! I did have to replace the inner driver's cable catch though.
16. Aircon works fine
17. Car does not leak
18. It is a hatchback, sorry I didn't show that well enough in the pictures.

peterzs
11-02-12, 04:59 PM
Sounds good, good price for all thats been done plus a spare set of wheels, like the spec.

Lucky you, have fun.

:):):)

talkingcars
11-02-12, 05:14 PM
I guess an oil change may help then, it may be low so worth chucking a litre in for the trip home.

stamford
11-02-12, 05:26 PM
When are you picking it up? You could always drop into mine if you come back down the A3 towards Pompey and I can check it over for you. Up to you.

Supercharged_Z
11-02-12, 05:40 PM
ay i am very close to luton if you want us to take a look

Nobrainer
11-02-12, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the offers guys

ay i am very close to luton if you want us to take a look
They would be great thanks. Afternoon sometime ok with you?

dean0
12-02-12, 09:29 AM
I had been watching that one, it looks a good deal to me. good luck!