PDA

View Full Version : Derv MPG?!

gibbzy2k1
12-02-12, 09:13 AM
What do the derv guys get these days. Since June mine has averaged 43mpg. The last few weeks its been closer to 38mpg!

Is that about right or am I missing out on something. I used to get mid 30s from my 216 coupe and slightly more from the 1.3 fiesta that we sold to buy the reliable, economical ZS derv. lol

Dan1971
12-02-12, 10:08 AM
I used to get 47 ish on my ZS when it was standard. Dropped to about 40 when I added the decat - K and N - and SDis.

My 325d is averaging 39 at the moment ....

You changed where you get your fuel from or your driving style ?

peterzs
12-02-12, 10:26 AM
Started off std car 50+, decat, remap, boost up, roverron gissmo, panel filter, was high 40tys.

Havnt been brave enough to check it since the SDi's, and Reidy remap, but feels like low 40ts.

Does your one pull from 1600 odd rpm right through to the limiter???

Only if the Maf thing is shot it may use more fuel. Dan had a problem when he had the blue derv, put a new maf on it and transformed the car.

Think a lot of the mpg figs is down to the umph you give it, or dont!!!!

:):):):)

gibbzy2k1
12-02-12, 11:48 AM
I do give a push, but didn't think I was that bad. The car has a Decat, closed induction cone and a digi-mafam. I was planning to tune it up and get sdis but at this rate it would be too thirsty.

I have just found the iceburg that sank Titanic in the spare wheel well! extra weight might not help. lol

peterzs
12-02-12, 03:28 PM
One way to get the water out, let it freeze first.

SDi's do make a big difference, but at a cost, mpg and black smoke!!!

Have to see how it gets on at its next MOT, can see cat going back on and the old std injectors going in.

ZS Phil
12-02-12, 04:00 PM
If its just town driving then 40mpg is pretty good even by modern standards, especially in this weather.
I average 45-50 in mine mixed driving but lots of 30 zones. SDIs, decat etc etc. Can get it a bit better on a motorway run. My car has done 121K

ZS Phil
12-02-12, 04:01 PM
Oh and I noticed no difference in mpg with SDIs fitted unless driven very hard. Do it, youll never look back I promise!

Enright
12-02-12, 06:30 PM
I think it generally drops a bit at this time of year because the engine never gets properly warm, big lump that it is.
Also you use a lot more energy to keep you warm etc - my seat heater is never off at the moment!

peterzs
12-02-12, 08:12 PM
And I thought we were the Southern Softies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gibbzy2k1
13-02-12, 08:53 AM
I haven't got heated seats. lol although due to the dampness The air con is on constantly. I have just been going back through the MPG and noticed it has dropped off with the cold weather.

I did a trip to Blackpool in Nov and got 58mpg. obviously its not too bad after all. Might get the SDIs in the summer, got to fix these door handles first as my mate broke the rear handle last night!

I want to do a bit of tuning but still want eh car to be relatively economical as my sterling only gets 20mpg.

Jem
13-02-12, 11:44 AM
I have no idea what i get out of my derv but im sure im going to noitice a big difference now because both of the rear brake pads were stuck in the carriers which had also made the pads wear right down.

p_b82
13-02-12, 01:59 PM
mine is 45-50mpg even in a heavy state of tune.

As to why yours has dropped recently - cold weather really really nails the economy - i have noticed this over the years.

short of weather biggest factor is driving style... as long as there are no siezed brakes lol

gibbzy2k1
13-02-12, 02:38 PM
mine is 45-50mpg even in a heavy state of tune.

As to why yours has dropped recently - cold weather really really nails the economy - i have noticed this over the years.

short of weather biggest factor is driving style... as long as there are no siezed brakes lol

Had a rear brake seized last year. Probably should check it again at some point, although it seems fine at the mo. Perhaps it just doesn't link the cold and 10 mile trips.

Jem
13-02-12, 02:40 PM
Ive not been getting as many miles in this cold weather roll on the warmer weather.My driving habbit/style is the same most of the time.