PDA

View Full Version : tow bar

DaMoZ-MG
19-02-12, 05:48 PM
i know its a nasty thing to do to a zed but i need to tow my trailer. anyways dose anybody know of a tow bar that dosnt involve cutting the bumper??

starfire039
19-02-12, 08:29 PM
The official Rover one doesn't require you to cut the bumper, but you do have to take it off to fit the tow bar. Don't know if there are any around still?

talkingcars
19-02-12, 08:39 PM
I've got a swan neck one on my ZS, fits under the bumper, at the moment I've renoved the actual ball so you'd hardly know.

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/categorylist/towbars-and-towbar-wiring-rover--mg-400-and-45-and-mgzs/

DaMoZ-MG
19-02-12, 09:50 PM
ecxelent, can you post a pic so i can see or not see if u know what i mean, thanks

AlastairRushforth
21-02-12, 01:02 PM
I had one on my hatchback that do
didnt need cutting. Plus the one on my saloon doesn't need cutting & the next is removable so it doesn't look naff when not towing ;)

mgzsturbo2008
21-02-12, 02:01 PM
i have one from a r25 . bolts through the tow eye should fit 45/zs :) pm me

talkingcars
21-02-12, 08:37 PM
i have one from a r25 . bolts through the tow eye should fit 45/zs :) pm me

Are you sure about that, the ZS is completly different to the ZR.

talkingcars
21-02-12, 08:37 PM
ecxelent, can you post a pic so i can see or not see if u know what i mean, thanks

I will when I get the chance.

DaMoZ-MG
05-06-12, 04:52 PM
just an update dose any one have some pics of the underside just so i can see how it mounts?? and also im planning on modidfiying a pug 306 bar to fit my coupe. i know the rear of the coupe is similar to the zed so this would help in my quest. thanks

Steves Cleenz
05-06-12, 04:58 PM
it fits down the chassis rails and bolts through the boot, through the chassis and then bolts underneath, and also clamps to the tow eye, well it did on my dads saloon one

Enright
05-06-12, 05:44 PM
Type "witter r21a pdf" into Yahoo and in the first link you'll get the fitting instructions complete with all pictures exactly how Steve described it in the post above.

daddydobbo
05-06-12, 06:30 PM
you have to take the bumper off then take of the two crumple zone blocks from each chassis rail then slot towbar down chassis bolt it up via boot replase bumper no need for cutting
also which zs do you have saloon or hatch

DaMoZ-MG
07-06-12, 05:15 PM
its a hatch, awsome will have another look when the weather gets a bit better. i miss my trailer. dont relaise how much u need a hitch till u 8nt got 1.

big_wasa
07-06-12, 05:39 PM
The Mg Rover x-part towbar is made by Brink/Thule. They seem to do a lot of oem stuff.
Mine is detachable. I didnt even know it had one untill I swaped the exhaust.

On the saloon there is a bar that goes upto the rear chassis legs. There are two crush tubes that go through the legs. Then there is a plate that bolts into the boot with an extra four bolts either side. (six each side in total)
It also bolts through the towing eye.

Total over kill.

As you say not the look you want on a zed but better than filling the zed with crap to move about.

DaMoZ-MG
10-06-12, 11:15 AM
just out of curiosity dose any 1 have one that they no longer need or dont want?? thanks

Steves Cleenz
10-06-12, 12:24 PM
my dad, (daddydobbo) above is selling one for a saloon, PM him