PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

talkingcars
25-02-12, 09:18 PM
The ZS is the family mile eater and one thing I've always missed is cruise control.
Strolling around my local scrap yard I came across an early 2.0 KV6 auto Rover 45 which had audio and cruise switches on the steering wheel.

The wheel is now in my car and the audio controls are wired up.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/292822_288048731212401_100000218281935_1396223_728 903699_n.jpg

I also found the dash control switch, one of the control ECU's (there are 2), the actuator and actuator pump.

It appears that most KV6's have the mounting bracket for the acuator attached to the throttle body.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/305423_288055064545101_100000218281935_1396253_106 9874528_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319393_288059377878003_100000218281935_1396278_160 856109_n.jpg

The next time you are under the bonnet have a look.

talkingcars
25-02-12, 09:23 PM
Since then I have done a lot of research into both 45 and 75/ZT cruise control and found that they mostly share the same system but the ECU's are wired differently.

These are the ECU and actuator parts required:-

Rover 45
Cruise control relay - behind passanger footwell kick panel - part no SCB100202 - (it is not the yellow relay with the diode, it is a black box)
Cruise control ECU - behind centre consol - part no SCB100190
Actuator pump - under battery tray - part no SCC100030 or SCC100030L
Actuator - next to throttle body

Rover 75/ZT/ZT-T
Cruise control relay - above passanger footwell - part no SCB100201
Cruise control ECU - above passanger footwell - part no SCB100190
Actuator pump - top left hand corner of engine bay low down on the bulk head - part no SCC100030 or SCC100030L
Actuator - next to throttle body

The Freelander KV6 uses the same parts but I have no idea of location.

Many of these bits are still available from Rimmers and eBay but they are considerably more expensive.

In the next post I shall give you some more of the parts required.
I will also give some of the wiring info - as this requires some skills such as wiring, breaking into engine managment systems etc it won't be a full how to, just some useful info if you are considering the same.

peterzs
25-02-12, 09:59 PM
Sounds much too technical for me, but good luck with it all.

This for all those continental long straight roads???

:ohmy::ohmy:

big_wasa
25-02-12, 10:09 PM
I think it would be a great mod ......

Ritchy
25-02-12, 10:36 PM
looks great, engine bay could do with a good clean there james:)

talkingcars
26-02-12, 11:23 AM
Sounds much too technical for me, but good luck with it all.

This for all those continental long straight roads???

:ohmy::ohmy:

It is technical, I've spent untold hours looking through wiring diagrams for 45's, ZS's, 75's and ZT's trying to translate from one version to the other, trying to adapt from auto to manuals.......

We are doing less long continetal roads nowadays as it is as cheap to sail Portsmouth/Bilbao as Sail Dover/Calais and drive to Bilbao with fuel prices and tolls as they are, the drive at the other end is 20 minutes.

However having had the use of cruise control many times before it can be used even on short journeys, especially with the tourque of a decent V6.

I think it would be a great mod ......

I hope so.

looks great, engine bay could do with a good clean there james:)

That as they say, is an old photo, I did a clean before Zed10 and replaced lots of the screws with stainless allan bolts.

talkingcars
26-02-12, 11:46 AM
Other parts required are:-

The steering wheel switches - these do come up on their own but require fitting to the steering wheel so a complete one would be better, think Rover 45.

The ZS rotery coupler has the wiring already installed so no need to replace this.

The main loom side of the coupler has a plug with sufficiant terminals to connect up, I was lucky to get the plug with all the wires so transfered the extra wires to my car, however I found it impossible to remove the terminals from the plug so used my dremal and sliced the plastic.

Another rare part is the dash board switch which fits the plug on the right hand side of the speddo surround, this is the point commonaly used for the Vis indicators. My plan is to fit the Vis indicator in the left hand socket and move the fog light switches to the centre consol as per the MK2 when I do the climate control conversion.

I suspect one could wire a front fogs switch to work as a cruise control switch.

The ZS speedo is fitted with the advice light showing that cruise is switched on but no bulb is fitted, I obtained a bulb and an extra terminal with wire from a scrap 45.

I wired the 2 lighting contacts on the cruise switch to the lighting for the fog switch, this also allows the dash light to illuminate.

talkingcars
26-02-12, 11:48 AM
You will also need a switch for the clutch to turn off the cruise if you dip the clutch to prevent the engine over reving. The clutch peddle is already fitted with the hole for this but if you have a sheddist the hole is used for the adjustable stop so I shall be making an aditional bracket.

The brake peddle already has a switch fitted, on my car this has 4 terminals, 2 for the brake light switch and 2 are unused.

Finally you'll need to add an extra wire to the brake ECU and the engine managment ECU, for these I obtained spare terminals from scraped cars.

talkingcars
26-02-12, 11:55 AM
So far I have fitted:-

The acuator to the exsisting bracket.
The acuator pump to a new mount under my ECU which was relocated to allow for the alternative airfilter mounting.

The dash switch.

I have made up an engine bay loom and connected this to the acuator pump, the engine managment ECU and the ABS ECU and fed it through to the cabin.

Made up an extra fuse box which also includes the extra fuses for the heated seats and rear electric windows I've previously added using individual fuses on fly leads.

The steering wheel, dash switch and speedo warning light are all wired and wires feed to the fuse box and glove box where the cruise ECU's will go.

All that is left to do is rewire the cruise ECU's from the ZT to work on my ZS, connect the peddle switches and add power..........

Watch this space............

pheelay
26-02-12, 02:02 PM
Great thread. I was really hoping this project worked out. Looks like it's progressing very well.

I'd say the rarity of many of parts will make it a very unique conversion.

talkingcars
26-02-12, 03:02 PM
Great thread. I was really hoping this project worked out. Looks like it's progressing very well.

I'd say the rarity of many of parts will make it a very unique conversion.

Cheers - I hoping that the difficult parts can be sustituted as most parts are available from a ZT190/180.

stamford
26-02-12, 05:56 PM
Excellent work there James. I did notice the redundant bracket a long time ago and removed it!

tb steve
03-03-12, 05:13 PM
you have may have seen this already but here it anyway page 70 onwards

http://www.rover-club.net/graphics/manuals/17/r75_technical_brochure.pdf

talkingcars
03-03-12, 07:08 PM
I hadn't, it's an interesting document. Thabks Steve.

I will add for anyone considering this addition to their ZS that although the components and the engine managment ECU are the same between the ZS and the ZT/75 they are wired differently.

Fred68
04-03-12, 12:43 PM
Nice project and something i'd love to do to my 180!! I get the inpression the the wiring needed is'nt already in the car? If so, if a doner car can be found would'nt be easier to take the complete system including the harness?
Atb Fred

talkingcars
04-03-12, 03:51 PM
Cheers Fred.

The mk1 ZS/45 KV6 was only available with cruise control in 2001 and 2 on the 2.0L 45 the top of the range auto which had different main and dash looms, if I'd known that when I sourced the parts from the one I found in the local scrap yard I would have taken the dash loom at the very least.

Fred68
04-03-12, 06:43 PM
So the hard part is ether finding an early top modal 45 with the Kv6 or making up a harness? The 75-Zt is more likely to have cruse I guess so can be the donor of the ECU, vacuum pump and servo. Looks like a project to sort to me!!

peterzs
04-03-12, 08:55 PM
My first car was a fiberglass Mistrale body, on a Ford 10 chassis.

That had cruise control, hand throttle, mounted on the gearbox tunnel.

Could understand that set up!!!!

Enright
09-03-12, 11:18 AM
I just typed "Rover 45 cruise" into the search function on eBay and this immediately caught my eye:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-TD5-Cruise-Control-kit-CC1-/290556624974?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a686404e
Discovery TD5's from 03 on should be pretty plentiful, and the switches pictured look suspiciously similar to the ones you find controlling the radios on R45's. TC, have you investigated this route already?

talkingcars
09-03-12, 07:59 PM
The freelander KV6 uses the same system as the ZS and ZT KV6 and these share some components with the TD so I wouldn't be suprised if the Discovery TD does as well.

I was lucky to get the steering wheel and master switches from the doner R45 so I don't need them but I'm sure they could be made to work.

However the discovery master switch could be an improvment over the R45 version. For some reason the warning light is in the dials and is orange, normally a warning colour. All the other switches have function indicators built into the switch.

Tonight while I was out I left it switched on (only the switch illumination is connected) and the tell tale dash light is irritating while driving.

I'll get it working and then may look at alternative methords so it works like the front fog switch.

Fred68
21-03-12, 12:45 PM
If the dash light is annoying and the Cruse main switch is hard to get would it be possible to use a fog light switch as a Cruse main switch and its indicator light too ?

Enright
21-03-12, 01:45 PM
I might have to nick that idea! :D
Cruise wasn't an option on TD's so the indicator light is replaced by the glow plug light.
The Cruise switch position is a mirror image of the Mk1 foglamp switch position, so a foglamp switch should be easy to get hold of, and fairly simple to modify and fit.
It might be possible to pull an instrument binnacle apart and use the tell-tale graphic on the front of the foglamp switch.

talkingcars
21-03-12, 07:49 PM
If the dash light is annoying and the Cruse main switch is hard to get would it be possible to use a fog light switch as a Cruse main switch and its indicator light too ?

That is what I'm considering, would need to be the front one as it latches where as the rear operates a relay somewhere.

Fred68
21-03-12, 09:25 PM
So the main switch is a latching switch? That's easy then as there are a multitude of latching switches on the market!!
The collecting of parts got under way for me today as I won the interface module and cruse ecu on the bay for £13.50 :)

SheppeyTrio
18-06-12, 07:20 PM
How's the cruise control mod going?

talkingcars
18-06-12, 10:30 PM
It's close, everything is wired up but I don't seem to be getting a speed signal so need to check some more of the wiring.

ZS
14-07-12, 08:06 AM
How is this project progressing? (Or not?)

It seems on a new throttle body I have that it came with the cruise actuator... so am wondering how easy it is to do :)

talkingcars
14-07-12, 09:22 AM
I connected it all up a few weeks ago and..................nothing.

I'm sure it's down to power supplies.

I wouldn't say it is easy to do, especially as it doesn't work yet.

To make it work you need a lot more than just the acuator.

ZS
14-07-12, 09:39 AM
To make it work you need a lot more than just the acuator.

I realise that :) but since I have the first bit I am wondering if its worth adding the rest... :)

talkingcars
14-07-12, 10:21 AM
Unless you find a doner in a scrappy you'll find the parts costs mount up. I've just spent £26 with Rimmers just to get the steering wheel switches so I can do similar in the MGF.

And to be honest it will be quicker to get an after market system like I have for the F.

Enright
30-04-13, 12:46 PM
Unless you find a doner in a scrappy you'll find the parts costs mount up.
Woot - I just HAVE found a donor (ZT) in a scrappy! :happy2:
Now just got to see if I can get all the bits out of it that I need...

talkingcars
09-05-13, 06:56 PM
Sadly this will never get completed in the mk1 but I'm taking what I've learned across to my mk2 although it wont be for a little while (except the wheel and dash switch that have already moved).

Enright
20-05-13, 09:24 AM
I spent a couple of hours gutting the ZT that I'd found in the scrappy on Saturday, and came away with:
The actuator including throttle linkage,
The pump and connecting pipework,
The cruise control ECU,
The button to switch it all on and off.
The clutch and brake pedal switches.
The graphic for the tell-tale light from the dash.
Oh and the complete wiring loom from pump to fusebox.

All I'm missing is the relay and the steering-wheel buttons (already pilfered by someone else), but they should be easily sourced from another car.

When I turned up at the front office of the scrappy "wearing" the loom like a boa constrictor, the woman asked me if the only reason I hadn't brought the rest of the car was because I couldn't pick it up!!! :-D
Then I was amazed to be charged just £10 for the entire haul. Billy Bargain or wot.

Yesterday I got busy stripping the loom of most of the wires that I didn't need (which was the majority of the loom), so that I am just left with a self-contained system which should be able to simply be mounted and plugged-in.
That's the theory anyway - it worked for the climate control system, but then that had come out of a ZS in the first place. This could be a bridge too far having come from a completely different model.
But I won't lose much sleep over it if it doesn't work for such a small investment.

talkingcars
20-05-13, 07:57 PM
Not a bad price, did you get both ECU's, on the ZT they are together in the passenger foot well.

The biggest issue is integrating with the engine ECU and ABS ECU.

The ZT wheel switch doesn't fit the ZS well so you'd be better looking for a Land Rover one.

The mk1 dash has the decal in place already, not sure about the mk2 yet.

peterzs
20-05-13, 08:19 PM
Bargain of the day, hope it all fits, but knowing you, it will by the time you have finished it!!

:bow::bow::bow: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enright
20-05-13, 08:37 PM
Not a bad price, did you get both ECU's, on the ZT they are together in the passenger foot well.

The biggest issue is integrating with the engine ECU and ABS ECU.

The ZT wheel switch doesn't fit the ZS well so you'd be better looking for a Land Rover one.

The mk1 dash has the decal in place already, not sure about the mk2 yet.

Unfortunately not - someone had already got to the main ECU and nabbed it.
I figured if I could get the system powered-up and doing something sensible with the standard components, then I could customise it later. Good shout on the Land Rover wheel switch. Getting a power and speed feed into the Cruise ECU could indeed be a challenge.
Bargain of the day, hope it all fits, but knowing you, it will by the time you have finished it!!

:bow::bow::bow: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Peter, I'm looking forwards to this project.