PDA

View Full Version : A little help please..

KirkJames
03-03-12, 12:40 PM
Haven't been ohn for a while, what with being busy at work etc, but I have noticed a couple of things on the 180.
Firstly, the revs keep jumping up whenever the clutch is depressed during gear changes (but only when cold) and surges forward. The TPS is working ok as the old one came up with a fault code when it did this before but there are no codes? Any ideas?
Also, there appears to be a slight whine from the gearbox, but actually I think that's always been there, and hasn't affected anything yet, but the gears feel very notchy and reverse (unless caressed into place) crunches when being engaged. Could this be low fluid in the gearbox, if so , how do you check for that and then top up?

If anyone can give me some pointers I would be very grateful. :)

MG6Turbo
03-03-12, 12:56 PM
Hello

I would say idle speed control valve needs cleaning or replacing. It won't register a fault code.

Gearbox whine could be low fluid. There is a level plug on the passenger side of the gearbox located next to the ns driveshaft inner cv.

There is a drain plug and a filler/level plug.

Hope this helps

George

If yours is a mk2 then gearbox whine seems to be more noticeable.

KirkJames
03-03-12, 03:14 PM
Cheers George, I will have a look as soon as I can. How easy is it to fill the gearbox up? If it's fairly straight forward then that would be music to my ears ;)

talkingcars
03-03-12, 03:58 PM
If you get a gear box fluid with a long filler "straw" it is easy to fill.

It is full when the oil is up to the filler plug.

Jay-ZS+
03-03-12, 04:08 PM
Easy to fill the gearbox up use MTF94, reminds me I still need to replace the diff seal :slap:

KirkJames
04-03-12, 10:30 AM
If you get a gear box fluid with a long filler "straw" it is easy to fill.

It is full when the oil is up to the filler plug.
That makes sense yeah ;)
When you say 'straw', would a peice of garden hose fit, or do you know the size as their are a few bits of pipe laying about at work.

Easy to fill the gearbox up use MTF94, reminds me I still need to replace the diff seal :slap:
I will have a look on ebay unless it's pretty cheap anyway from a motor factor?

peterzs
04-03-12, 10:53 AM
When you buy the oil it comes in a plastic container that has a nozzle that screws in where the cap is.

Its designed to let you poke it in the filler hole and squeeze the oil out, its at the level when it starts running out of the filler.

Thats how it all was when I played with my MGB, suspect it hasnt changed. Dont know where your filler is saying that.

:yes::yes::yes: :laugh::laugh:

talkingcars
04-03-12, 11:16 AM
Just as Pete says.....

Just as Jay says, use MTF94, only about £5 from a factors.

KirkJames
04-03-12, 01:01 PM
Great stuff cheers guys, will get on it tomorrow. ;) :)

sambomonkee
04-03-12, 02:30 PM
I just topped up my mk2, and it made a massive difference, only a few squirts of of fluid (So must be very sensitive a slightly low amount) and the whine completely went away.

KirkJames
05-03-12, 06:45 PM
I just topped up my mk2, and it made a massive difference, only a few squirts of of fluid (So must be very sensitive a slightly low amount) and the whine completely went away.

That's good to hear.
No local Motor Factors had MTF94 in stock anywhere so does anyone know if I will need more than this......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Manual-Transmission-Oil-MTF-94-Fluid-JEEP-PATRIOT-08-/280769965445?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item415f31ad85

petet16
05-03-12, 06:47 PM
Total capacity is 2.2 litres.

KirkJames
05-03-12, 06:51 PM
Cheers Pete,
It's not the cheapest of stuff is it. Should I drain the old stuff out or can I get away with topping it up, considering it's going to be going in for a full service in the summer with an MG specialst.

Are there any alternatives to MTF94?

petet16
05-03-12, 06:58 PM
I'd just buy a litre and top it up.

Land Rover dealers stock mtf94, not sure on the price tho.

KirkJames
05-03-12, 11:25 PM
Cheers bud, of to get some tomorrow so I will just get 1 l.itre for now then

Fred68
06-03-12, 06:47 PM
Unless you have a leak it won't take much to put it back to the correct level. Landrover do charge a bit more than rover did too especially as it's the same oil with a different label but needs must!!

KirkJames
07-03-12, 01:59 PM
Just got some off EBay for 9 quid so will stick some of that in on my next days off.