PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a starter motor issue.

sambomonkee
04-03-12, 02:33 PM
Really weird but today, I tried to start the car and clicked (like there was not enough battery power), and then tried again nothing, I thought the battery was dead but no.

Now I got in again, and this time pressed the clutch in a started instantly. So it will start 70% of the time without the clutch pressed, but anytime it will not start, just press the clutch a bit and the starter motor kicks in and fires.

Weird, but hay I can live with it.

peterzs
04-03-12, 02:43 PM
Have a look at the spade connector on the starter motor.

They have a habit of corroding and giving intermittent starting.

Have a quick look at all the earth points as well.

sambomonkee
04-03-12, 02:47 PM
Good, call, I have been playing around down that side, Ie i changed the fuel filter.

I did spray the connections with WD40, which did seem to make it more reliable.

Just seems odd that its 100% reliable with the clutch pressed :dunno:

talkingcars
04-03-12, 02:57 PM
In my experience once the correded terminal stops transmiting power it wont work again until at least unplugged and replugged.

TBH this sounds like an earthing problem, the action of operating the clutch peddle possibly knocking the earth lead and curing the break.

I expect one day that the fault will become constant unless the fault is cured.

I would start with replacing the earth lead from the gearbox to the slam panel, make sure that the contact points are clean.

sambomonkee
04-03-12, 03:11 PM
You may have it there, I just went out and found the gearbox earth??? wire was very close to the clutch slave, so moved it away from it and out of the way, and it started fine (maybe just conicedence)

I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

EDIT: Also the spade connector didn't feel like it was tightly on, so pushed it on more, maybe it was that aswell

peterzs
04-03-12, 03:21 PM
Might be worth gently squeezing the spade connector together with pliers, so that it grips the spade on the starter motor bit more positively.

Dav
05-03-12, 05:02 AM
Shouldn't you always start a car with you foot on the clutch anyway? Relieves any load from the gearbox so the starter hasn't gotta work so hard. The new Vauxhall Meriva hire car I had the other day wouldn't start unless I pushed the clutch down, I suppose that's a safety thing lol

Sounds like you got it sorted tho, so 'appy dayz!! :)

petet16
05-03-12, 06:47 AM
Shouldn't you always start a car with you foot on the clutch anyway? Relieves any load from the gearbox so the starter hasn't gotta work so hard. The new Vauxhall Meriva hire car I had the other day wouldn't start unless I pushed the clutch down, I suppose that's a safety thing lol

Sounds like you got it sorted tho, so 'appy dayz!! :)

I thought this as well, but apparently it wears the crank thrust washers out more quickly.

So now I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

Dav
05-03-12, 06:57 AM
I thought this as well, but apparently it wears the crank thrust washers out more quickly.

So now I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

Oooo, I didn't know that. Like I said, that Meriva I used wouldn't start without the clutch down. Be interesting to see in a few years if these new cars come back with that fault...

starfire039
05-03-12, 09:52 AM
I think modern cars requiring the clutch to be down is a safety feature more than anything.

sambomonkee
07-03-12, 04:54 PM
Update, was indeed the earth on the clutch slave bracket, going to clean it all up and tighten it all over the weekend. Cheers

talkingcars
07-03-12, 05:41 PM
Glad to be of service.
(have you checked what the scales button does? ;) )

sambomonkee
07-03-12, 05:44 PM
Rep, yes, but its only available against my name, no one else :dunno: