PDA

View Full Version : Power steering

Sindy
04-03-12, 06:07 PM
Ok any off you lot help me out the power steering pump on my v6 2.5 pumps the fluid around the resevior bottle like a washing machine . Have that chortling sound that comes and goes on occasion when steering but not always on full lock any ideas

peterzs
04-03-12, 06:57 PM
Is the PS fluid up to the max mark????

stamford
04-03-12, 07:43 PM
Firstly :hi: it does swirl a fair bit when running. What's the level like when off?

peterzs
04-03-12, 07:51 PM
And :hi:

Sindy
05-03-12, 02:53 PM
hi its between the to ill fill it see what happens

Sindy
05-03-12, 02:55 PM
hi all

zsserbia
05-03-12, 03:02 PM
If you are hearing a sucking/slurping sound there is some air in the system (you may as well notice air bubbles in the fluid). I may refer to the Hayness book of lies if you need it, should be fairly easy procedure to solve this and top it up, unless you've got a leak somewhere to be taken care of.

Is your steering operating normally, no shaking or other strange noises?

Fred68
05-03-12, 03:44 PM
Don't worry about the PS fluid swirling in the resevior as it's designed to spin out air bubbles in the fluid!! If there is a whining sound on turning the wheel it's likely the pump seal failing. The pump has to suck up the fluid from the bottle so if the pump seal is bad it also sucks air with it !! Look at the fluid after the engine has been stopped to see if there are bubbles in it !

Sindy
05-03-12, 08:20 PM
Thanks il try these things as I said the noise isn't constant in place or amount of time when the wheel is turned u can't feel it and if u lock the steering full on u don't get the end noise if u know what I mean I've done the tie bar bushes so it's not them. But thanks to u all for taking the time to answer